Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    at the time, there was a lot of media hype about how cannabis causes mental problems, although this has now been found to be untrue (see http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo...Ccannabis.html about 2 thirds of the way down)

thats all I got at the mo. will find report thing l8r
    I read the document you posted, and must say I am concerned about the reliabaility of it. My main reason for being suspicious is the rather strong claims that there is no evidence for cannabis being harmful, when the World Health Orginisation has published a document saying the contrary (though, the WHO documents were much more carfull in stating the limitations of their recomendations and conclusions). In general It appears to me that the document seems to defend cannabis as a psychoactive substance rather than providing objective information. I am not saying that you should take my word for it, but at least read it and ask yourself if it seems to be objective and unbiased. If you want to you may compare this to the documents published by the WHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    i agree with legalising canabis

imo it can be good fun and relaxing to smoke it socialy every now and then
    Well, before lighting up the joint you may find it interesting to know that the drug affects the same receptors as Testosteron and Progesteron. One knows that it does disturb the female menstruation cycle. How it affects the testosteron balance of men is currently unknown (Research results are either poor or inconclusive)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well, before lighting up the joint you may find it interesting to know that the drug affects the same receptors as Testosteron and Progesteron. One knows that it does disturb the female menstruation cycle. How it affects the testosteron balance of men is currently unknown (Research results are either poor or inconclusive)
    i'll bare that in mind

to be honest i hardly ever touch the stuff, I did that in like year 8 and 9, like to think i've matured now

ReputationRep:
    i'll bare that in mind

to be honest i hardly ever touch the stuff, I did that in like year 8 and 9, like to think i've matured now
    My opinion is that it is better to be to carefull than to ignorant about these things. Id say the main problem when it comes to drugs and alcohol is that people do not take it seriously. Soem people seem to use it merely because it is harmful, which is quite scary. I never got how people could actually come up with the idea to sniff paint.

ReputationRep:
    I read the document you posted, and must say I am concerned about the reliabaility of it. My main reason for being suspicious is the rather strong claims that there is no evidence for cannabis being harmful, when the World Health Orginisation has published a document saying the contrary (though, the WHO documents were much more carfull in stating the limitations of their recomendations and conclusions). In general It appears to me that the document seems to defend cannabis as a psychoactive substance rather than providing objective information. I am not saying that you should take my word for it, but at least read it and ask yourself if it seems to be objective and unbiased. If you want to you may compare this to the documents published by the WHO.
    true, but I did my essay sometime ago and it was the only one of the many sources I used that I could remember, so I stuck it up there. Since I posted I've had another dig into research and it seems that cannabis does have benefits when used as a medicine for certain neural disorders, but whether this is because of the placebo effect, the effect of getting stoned altering the users perception of their complaints or an actual benefit has not yet been conclusively decided.

yes there is bias, as with most investigations into the effects of cannabis. This is because there is so much media hype both ways, and because the research could have such wide ranging and potentially economically advantageous implications to so many people. I doubt there has been a single unbiased investigation, except maybe the one comissioned in 1901 by the UK royalty when cannabis was still legal, but that may have to be dismissed because of the inferior scientific knowledge of neurological disorders at that time.

sorry if I have pontificated at too great a length :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that it is better to be to carefull than to ignorant about these things. Id say the main problem when it comes to drugs and alcohol is that people do not take it seriously. Soem people seem to use it merely because it is harmful, which is quite scary. I never got how people could actually come up with the idea to sniff paint.
    people sniff paint :eek:

i probably used to do bongs and stuff to fit in and be cool, alcohol however is just amazing :cool:

ReputationRep:
    without drugs, booze and hoe's i wouldn't have been able to write my book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking)
    without drugs, booze and hoe's i wouldn't have been able to write my book
    lol

ReputationRep:
    true, but I did my essay sometime ago and it was the only one of the many sources I used that I could remember, so I stuck it up there. Since I posted I've had another dig into research and it seems that cannabis does have benefits when used as a medicine for certain neural disorders, but whether this is because of the placebo effect, the effect of getting stoned altering the users perception of their complaints or an actual benefit has not yet been conclusively decided.

yes there is bias, as with most investigations into the effects of cannabis. This is because there is so much media hype both ways, and because the research could have such wide ranging and potentially economically advantageous implications to so many people. I doubt there has been a single unbiased investigation, except maybe the one comissioned in 1901 by the UK royalty when cannabis was still legal, but that may have to be dismissed because of the inferior scientific knowledge of neurological disorders at that time.

sorry if I have pontificated at too great a length :rolleyes:
    I can confirm that the active substance in cannabis (Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) does have beneficial medical effect except from placebo. This is why the substance is available in form of medecin after prescription from a doctor. The legal comercial versions of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is typically extracted from the marihuana plant and used in the manufacturing of the medecines. Many countries in Europe still prohibit these medecines though, because there are many alternative substances with similar beneficial effects but fewer side efefcts. One brand of these "cannabis based" medecines is known as Marinol and is sold in the states. I am not certain about what the situation is in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm that the active substance in cannabis (Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) does have beneficial medical effect except from placebo. This is why the substance is available in form of medecin after prescription from a doctor. The legal comercial versions of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is typically extracted from the marihuana plant and used in the manufacturing of the medecines. Many countries in Europe still prohibit these medecines though, because there are many alternative substances with similar beneficial effects but fewer side efefcts. One brand of these "cannabis based" medecines is known as Marinol and is sold in the states. I am not certain about what the situation is in the UK.
    probably illegal, the UK government is very anti drug in the most idiotic of ways.

some of the stuff you can use to make harmful drugs is perfectly legal e.g. laburnham seeds

but some of the drugs that are helpful, like the one you mentioned are probably illegal because they are connected in some tenuous way to cannabis

ReputationRep:
    people sniff paint :eek:

i probably used to do bongs and stuff to fit in and be cool, alcohol however is just amazing :cool:
    If I were you I would be a bit carefull with alcohol as well. Even though large concentrations of alcohol is required ( as compared to other drugs) it is quite harmful if abused frequently or over long periods of time. Also, even though getting adicted to Alcohol requires that you drink periodically, it is very harmful to stop once you are addicted. In moderate amounts ( a glass of vine a weak ) it can have positive medical effects for older people (I presume you are not one of them), but the harms increase rapidly with increasing concentrations. I am not going to pretend I never get drunk, but typically I like to make sure it does not happen to often, and I know to stop before I have consumed more than I can take (This is a way to speak, in reality you have gotn to much as soon as you start feeling dissy).

Btw: if you get a hangover, remember not to use paracetamol as a painkiller. Even though paracetamol is the ideal drug when it comes to effect contra side effects it decomposes in your liver, and in combination with alcohol the damage can be quite large. The best way to handle a hangover is by drinking lots of water and consume fruits rich on Vitamin C (Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps decomposing teh producst which gives rise to the hangover).

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would be a bit carefull with alcohol as well. Even though large concentrations of alcohol is required ( as compared to other drugs) it is quite harmful if abused frequently or over long periods of time. Also, even though getting adicted to Alcohol requires that you drink periodically, it is very harmful to stop once you are addicted. In moderate amounts ( a glass of vine a weak ) it can have positive medical effects for older people (I presume you are not one of them), but the harms increase rapidly with increasing concentrations. I am not going to pretend I never get drunk, but typically I like to make sure it does not happen to often, and I know to stop before I have consumed more than I can take (This is a way to speak, in reality you have gotn to much as soon as you start feeling dissy).

Btw: if you get a hangover, remember not to use paracetamol as a painkiller. Even though paracetamol is the ideal drug when it comes to effect contra side effects it decomposes in your liver, and in combination with alcohol the damage can be quite large. The best way to handle a hangover is by drinking lots of water and consume fruits rich on Vitamin C (Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps decomposing teh producst which gives rise to the hangover).

so much to remember

i drink way too much most of the time and always end up mixing but I think I know what i can handle

ReputationRep:
    probably illegal, the UK government is very anti drug in the most idiotic of ways.
    In this case I would not be to compelling. The fact is that alternative medicaments are more effective than cannabis. In most of europe, cannabinoids cannot compete with alternative drugs with the same effect, except when it comes to price. As British healthcare is subsidised by the government it is therefore not unlikely that the use of cannabioids as medecine may be prohibited. In my opinion legalising the medical uses of the substance is probably teh right thing to do. After all, morfin is legal. Though you may not want to market the substance as "cannabis" as it may send out erroneous signal that the abuse of cannabis is safe.

ReputationRep:
    so much to remember

i drink way too much most of the time and always end up mixing but I think I know what i can handle
    Theres a huge difference between what you can handle and what your body can handle. Typically, if you get drunk, you are pushing your liver. The real danger is to get addicted to alcohol (This can happen much quicker than most people beleive). A long term abuse of Alcohol causes not only liver , but also mental problems. Once again, Better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a huge difference between what you can handle and what your body can handle. Typically, if you get drunk, you are pushing your liver. The real danger is to get addicted to alcohol (This can happen much quicker than most people beleive). A long term abuse of Alcohol causes not only liver , but also mental problems. Once again, Better safe than sorry.
    yes mother :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, legal limit on canabis (eg have to be over 18), recomend to expectant mothers not to smoke (i've recently read an article that says that chemicals which slow down brain activity can cause scitsophenia in developing fetuses), and people with a history of mental problems. You can make canabis safer by telling the public the dangers and determinating the people at risk, than by making it illegal, as if people want to do something, they usually will.

ReputationRep:
    even if canabis was legalised alot would be need to be done to regulate the use: ie driving and since at the moment no way like breath tests exsist for canabis then it would be difficult to enforce.
    2ndly what about supply: most canabis is produced and transported by criminal gangs legalising it would allow them to do it without fear of prosecution and thus give more money to them to run other illegal activities such as hard drug transportation
    3rdly given as we have all have all discovered on this thread at best for canabis the medical case is unsure surely the thing to do at the moment is at least wait till better and more longer term medical studies are done looking at the effects of canabis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    even if canabis was legalised alot would be need to be done to regulate the use: ie driving and since at the moment no way like breath tests exsist for canabis then it would be difficult to enforce.
    2ndly what about supply: most canabis is produced and transported by criminal gangs legalising it would allow them to do it without fear of prosecution and thus give more money to them to run other illegal activities such as hard drug transportation
    3rdly given as we have all have all discovered on this thread at best for canabis the medical case is unsure surely the thing to do at the moment is at least wait till better and more longer term medical studies are done looking at the effects of canabis
    1stly, where there's a will, there's a way, we'll find a way to breathalise for canabis if there is a need to.
    2ndly, the government will be able to sell it for a lot less than 'criminal gangs' therefore putting them out of business.
    3rdly, i'd be more than willing to take part in the long term trials, and i seriously believe that there will be quite a few others, free weed and you get paid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    1- can't they take a urine test? and arent there other physical tests which can be used (i.e. smell, co-ordination etc.)

2- so long as checks are in place to ensure that the cannabis is of a high standard and not cut with crack etc. then why not? however, with the legelisation there would also be plenty of opportunities in the market for legit businesses.

3- People have been taking cannabis in moderation since the ancient egyptians and probably before that without harm. It's probably ok.

ReputationRep:
    1.urine tests arent exactly great for the cops if they stop u at the side of the road and until a way is found that remains a problem
    2.given that crimminal gangs run transportation of weed at the mo, surely they are in the best position to profit and lowering the prices isnt going to put them out of business since
    i.)the government isnt going to be selling weed Ryoku
    ii.)they dont have to convertly smuggle it into countries ie easier
    iii.)they are gonna sell more so more money
    3- People have been taking cannabis in moderation since the ancient egyptians and probably before that without harm. It's probably ok.
    they didnt have clinical medicine then so they had no idea what it was doing to their body and we still dont really know now. we are living in a different culture with different lifestyles so for all we know it could be causing brain damage. frankly if a car was advertised as probably safe to drive and the brakes will probably work then i wouldnt want to use it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.