Could she be a model with her measurements? Watch

London Blue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Me and another friend are always trying to convince my best friend to go into modelling because she's so beautiful, and so thin.

But she has a "child bearing" figure. Her waist in 24 inches, her hips are 38/39 - she's definitely been measured in the right places because she was measured by someone who teaches Fashion. I think she's between 5ft 8 and 5ft 9 tall, and she weighs about 125lb.

I know pretty much nothing about fashion/modelling and all that (though the other friend knows loads about it). Could she be a model with those measurements? Like a "proper" model (no idea if anyone knows what I'm getting at here, like I said I know hardly anything about it!). She's modelled briefly before, for Graduate Fashion Week I think, but nothing professional. We're starting to think it's a long shot now, because Premier seems to have a hip size limit of 36 inches..
Paperkissx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
models usually have hips of 30-35, so you're friend does have slightly larger hips, but everywhere is different.
Cybele
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She may be able to do other types of modeling, but for catwalk I can almost guarantee it will be a no. Unless she can shave 3 inches off her hips.

Her best bet is catalogue modeling, tell her to send her pictures off to a smaller company.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree with the others, 39" hips are too big for catwalk, but she may get into commercial modelling - catalogues and such.

It's worth investigating, as long as she doesn't fall into the trap of paying a company to take photos for her portfolio. That's usually a big no-no.
StressReliever
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not for high fashion/catwalk because sample sizes are typically made to fit around 34" hips (plus or minus an inch).

Commericial/print modelling is definitely a possibility though.
La Esmerelda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If she wants to be a model then she can find all this out on her own surely?
Its not secretly you is it?!
Phillipsherman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Paperkissx)
models usually have hips of 30-35, so you're friend does have slightly larger hips, but everywhere is different.
:lttd:
sarahthegemini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The hip size is way too large for catwalk modelling.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by La Esmerelda)
If she wants to be a model then she can find all this out on her own surely?
Its not secretly you is it?!
No, my hips are depressingly tiny unfortunately and not really proportionate to my body! She probably could find out on her own, and possibly has .. I'm just wondering because I don't want to be encouraging her to do something that's never going to happen because that would make me a pretty bad friend ..
loonyplatypus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by London Blue)
Me and another friend are always trying to convince my best friend to go into modelling because she's so beautiful, and so thin.
You're trying to convince your friend to go into an industry focused solely on appearance where she'll almost certainly be criticised for the way she looks and told to change, possibly leading to a very unhealthy lifestyle and reduced self esteem? Why don't you let her make her own decisions - if she wants to be a model she'll do it by herself and won't need you to force her.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by loonyplatypus)
You're trying to convince your friend to go into an industry focused solely on appearance where she'll almost certainly be criticised for the way she looks and told to change, possibly leading to a very unhealthy lifestyle and reduced self esteem? Why don't you let her make her own decisions - if she wants to be a model she'll do it by herself and won't need you to force her.
Where did you get "force" from? I said convince, and I meant it in the encouraging sense. Like when someone wants to do something and you encourage them to do it. I know it's a tough industry, but she doesn't want it to be her career path or anything. It's something she's interested in pursuing as a "hobby" ... not really the right word, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. She always has me and her boyfriend there to stop anything awful from happening to her anyway, we're very devoted. We wouldn't ever let her develop any health problems, and she trusts us enough to listen to our advice. Plus, it's not exactly her passion or anything so I'm sure she'd be willing to get out of it if it became bad for her. As for self-esteem .. I don't think she's really the kind of girl to get low esteem, she knows everyone thinks she's beautiful.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im pretty sure theres a lot more they take into account then numbers.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
Im pretty sure theres a lot more they take into account then numbers.
I'm pretty sure numbers are a huge factor.
Abi24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not for high fashion or runway - shes at the midpoint between straight size and plus size.

Commercial maybe...if she also happens to be toned, have clear skin, take a good picture and have enough inner strength to deal with such a cut throat industry even at a commercial level.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abi24)
Not for high fashion or runway - shes at the midpoint between straight size and plus size.

Commercial maybe...if she also happens to be toned, have clear skin, take a good picture and have enough inner strength to deal with such a cut throat industry even at a commercial level.
Isn't plus size modelling for heavier people? She's very slim, toned .. it's a shame her figure's not right for runway modelling, she'd probably enjoy it.
Abi24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isn't plus size modelling for heavier people? She's very slim, toned .. it's a shame her figure's not right for runway modelling, she'd probably enjoy it.
Plus size is generally 5'10+ size 14-18. Could say its for bigger girls but you'll find most plus models are quite slender and only look like a 10/12.

I'm a plus model...5'11 size 14/16. More plus models these days are landing editorials but its still a minority.

ps ENJOY runway? As someone who's walked shows of varying purposes/sizes etc I must say I love being out there...until the ibuprofen i often take to counter my sore feet wears off...
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
everyone thinks she's beautiful.
Generally, catwalk models don't tend to be the type of girl who 'everyone thinks is beautiful'. It tends to be more based on bone structure. A lot of models are not typically beautiful, but striking in a different way.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
Generally, catwalk models don't tend to be the type of girl who 'everyone thinks is beautiful'. It tends to be more based on bone structure. A lot of models are not typically beautiful, but striking in a different way.
That's the only other thing that we were worried about, whether she's too conventionally pretty. She doesn't have any features that I'd consider immensely striking. I think her facial structure, especially her cheekbones, are lovely in an unusual way, and her eyes could be considered striking, but not amazingly so. She's probably more typically beautiful than unconventionally beautiful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads