Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys,

I think I'm a hypochondriac; I'm terrified of illness! I'm always convincing myself I have something or another, and this got particularly bad after losing two grandparents last year to cancer :ashamed2:

My question is: do you guys ever check your moles for weird changes? Have you ever been sunburned in the past? I have pale skin, and lots of freckles on my shoulders, where I got a nasty sunburn about a decade ago. I was scratching my shoulder and accidently caught a small mole. Now it looks funny and I'm paranoid it's skin cancer because I seem to fit a lot of the risk factors (pale, freckles, past sunburn etc). The mole is only a couple of millimetres in diameter and it looks a bit like a brown scab.

Everyone says I am paranoid and I don't want to go rushing down to the GP because I've done that in the past, scared to death I had something wrong with me when actually everything was fine!

I've become really preoccupied with illness recently, and I think that's due to a combo. of losing loved ones for the first time last year, and also getting an offer from med school for september. It's something I've wanted and worked for for years and I am scared something is going to ruin it and prevent me from going.

Thanks for listening guys xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not expert but if you said you scratched the mole that probably accounts for the scab part of it, but if you are really worried then go see your GP, that's what they are there for

ReputationRep:
    I know you said you don't want to rush to your GP but I think it would be worthwhile you making an appointment and popping down there. You do have to be careful with moles and I wouldn't want to say you are fine when I'm not qualified to do so.

ReputationRep:
    It's highly unlikely you will have skin cancer from scratching your mole. Moles are just like the rest of your skin, if you scratch or cut it a scab will form. Keep an eye on it, most probably it will heal and the scab will fall off. If you notice it getting worse or it doesnt seem to be healing after a a week or two then maybe think about having it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a hypochondriac too haha don't worry about it If you're really worried go to the GP as they have more medical knowledge and can see it for real. It'll be fine! Congrats on getting into Med school though!

ReputationRep:
    You probably just made a scab by scratching, it is not likely to be cancer.
    A bit of hypochondria can be put to good use where moles are concerned because you are supposed to keep an eye on them for changes.
    If it changes in any other ways like it gets bigger or darker, then definitely get it looked at. But also try not to panic because moles can develop other problems that are not cancerous and can be easily treated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2011
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.