The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cinquee
I have a friend who is going into her second year at Manchester for Classics. Do you like Manchester as a city on the whole? I really don't like it, I don't know why :s: I'm not applying there for uni which is annoying as it is a highly respected place and I live near there!

That's cool, I'll definately read it, one day! Until then I will be trudging through Maupassant for the next year! Did you do French A Level then?
I live near there too (I mean, always have done), so I might not have the most neutral of opinions. I like Manchester, but I can understand why others might not. I'd quite like to escape from big cities generally for a while though soon.

No, I did it for GCSE, but I didn't do especially well (and wasn't much interested) -- I learnt it properly on my own a few years later.

Original post by im so academic
Oh Manchester. I see.

That's not what I meant. :p: I meant like a Master's or something?
No, I know! Possibly, but not until next year, as I haven't applied anywhere. So I'll [hopefully] be getting some form of job to earn shekels, supplemented by the Latin lessons I mentioned.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
:biggrin:
Original post by cinquee
Do you like Manchester as a city on the whole? I really don't like it, I don't know why :s:

At least someone else thinks so!
I live half-way between there and Liverpool, and everyone thinks I'm odd for preferring Liv.
Manchester is just so 'big dirty city'-like, and some parts are really :s-smilie: (Wythenshawe being the example that springs to mind).
Though this is counter-balanced by some beautiful places, like Dunham Massey near Altrincham, and Ramsbottom, up north.

Though, I have to say, one of the main reasons I dislike Manchester is how long it stupid takes to get anywhere in that city!
The bus there from my town, which isn't even that far away, takes one hour and forty minutes ... and costs the Earth too!
Reply 663
Original post by jismith1989
I live near there too (I mean, always have done), so I might not have the most neutral of opinions. I like Manchester, but I can understand why others might not. I'd quite like to escape from big cities generally for a while though soon.

No, I did it for GCSE, but I didn't do especially well (and wasn't much interested) -- I learnt it properly on my own a few years later.

I'm applying to Liverpool, as that is closer to me, but I don't even like that uni either. The city is great but I don't like the campus or the French department - I'm applying there just in case :smile: I seem really picky I know! I only want to apply to 3 unis as well...*sigh*

You have a fair understanding of that, that's good. I love the NW, I want to stay here for uni :smile:

And that's cool. I love lagnuages; I hope to take up Spanish :smile:
Reply 664
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
At least someone else thinks so!
I live half-way between there and Liverpool, and everyone thinks I'm odd for preferring Liv.
Manchester is just so 'big dirty city'-like, and some parts are really :s-smilie: (Wythenshawe being the example that springs to mind).
Though this is counter-balanced by some beautiful places, like Dunham Massey near Altrincham, and Ramsbottom, up north.

Though, I have to say, one of the main reasons I dislike Manchester is how long it stupid takes to get anywhere in that city!
The bus there from my town, which isn't even that far away, takes one hour and forty minutes ... and costs the Earth too!

Haha yes, someone else who shares my opinion! I live nearer Liverpool and I like it there but I go there so much that it is repetitive and boring, so I'd like to go to uni to a city which I don't know to make it more exciting :smile:

Liverpool is so much easier to get to, although the bus is so expensive so I use the train much more! It takes about 30 mins to get to the city centre...Merseyrail ftw :yep:
Original post by cinquee
Haha yes, someone else who shares my opinion! I live nearer Liverpool and I like it there but I go there so much that it is repetitive and boring, so I'd like to go to uni to a city which I don't know to make it more exciting :smile:

Liverpool is so much easier to get to, although the bus is so expensive so I use the train much more! It takes about 30 mins to get to the city centre...Merseyrail ftw :yep:

I too have been to Liverpool absolutely loads, but to be honest, still find it interesting!
Though that's probably because I avoid the shopping zones: I honestly get depressed just walking through those areas, seeing all of the lost souls mechanically tracking down their requisite dose of products.

Lool, Merseyrail is cool - I used to go to the squirrel sanctuary near Formby with them all the time :biggrin:
So are you a fellow woollyback too then? :cool:

I chose to go to uni down in Coventry ... now that's a bizarre city!

Erm, oh yeah, relevance ... *classicsclassics*
Reply 666
I too have been to Liverpool absolutely loads, but to be honest, still find it interesting!
Though that's probably because I avoid the shopping zones: I honestly get depressed just walking through those areas, seeing all of the lost souls mechanically tracking down their requisite dose of products.

Lool, Merseyrail is cool - I used to go to the squirrel sanctuary near Formby with them all the time :biggrin:
So are you a fellow woollyback too then? :cool:

I chose to go to uni down in Coventry ... now that's a bizarre city!

Erm, oh yeah, relevance ... *classicsclassics*

Yeah I go to the shops a lot. But I like doing other cultural past-times too there! But mostly shopping, and I am going shopping in Lpool tomorrow too!
Squirrel sanctuary?! Woah that's cool!
Woollyback...what is that :s:

Why is Coventry bizarre?
For uni I want to go to Sheffield...
Amo Sheffieldium? Is that revelant? :biggrin:
Original post by cinquee

Original post by cinquee
I have a friend who is going into her second year at Manchester for Classics. Do you like Manchester as a city on the whole? I really don't like it, I don't know why :s: I'm not applying there for uni which is annoying as it is a highly respected place and I live near there!

That's cool, I'll definately read it, one day! Until then I will be trudging through Maupassant for the next year! Did you do French A Level then?

Ooh, who's that? There are only 2 people in my year who are actually taking the Classics degree, so chances are I know them! Especially as I took Greek with both of them! Manchester is awesome - it has Font and Kro Bar, therefore it is the best place on earth.

---

I feel so uncultured and stupid. University Challenge taught me this.
Original post by Aemiliana

Aye, there is much wrong with University Challenge.
Though I am reliably informed that there was a question about group theory the other night, which has done a little to give me confidence in it.

Original post by cinquee
Yeah I go to the shops a lot. But I like doing other cultural past-times too there! But mostly shopping, and I am going shopping in Lpool tomorrow too!
Squirrel sanctuary?! Woah that's cool!
Woollyback...what is that :s:

Why is Coventry bizarre?
For uni I want to go to Sheffield...
Amo Sheffieldium? Is that revelant? :biggrin:

Yah, this is the place =)

As for woollybacks, I can only point you to the authority on the subject - Urban Dictionary.

Cov's just like a mini-Birmingham in my opinion, but it's right next to Warwickshire.
So it's a mixture of the West Midlands run-down dense, filthy city type stuff, and massive fields, grand estates and quaint villages.
I have to say that I've never been to Sheffield, but it sounds like a cool place, and even if it itself is not, there seem to be loads of cool places around there anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Son of a !!! trying to research but my computer won't work properly!

The people on University Challenge always look about twenty years older than they actually are.

The people on University Challenge always look about twenty years older than they actually are.

Last night they were also dressed for the 80s :sadnod:
If you're going from the centre of Warrington, you should take the train -- I doubt that it'll cost more and it'll probably get there in a quarter of the time. :cool:
Bloody Lingua Latina disk isn't working properly - it's cut off half the page :mad2: Guess it's So You Really Want... time instead :sad:
Hey guys, I need some help in regards to a tattoo I want to get. I want to get latin writing on my inner arm above the elbow (positioned just below the bicep). I want the latin to translate the following english: "Family first" or "Nothing is more important than family" or something along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :tongue:
Bloody Lingua Latina disk isn't working properly - it's cut off half the page :mad2: Guess it's So You Really Want... time instead :sad:

Just got back from Latin Summer School and we used those books... did the first two in ten days so I'm not sure how well it all sunk in, really. How do you like it? I think it's good, and all the English into Latin is probably really good for your grammar but it's just not as fun as reading proper Latin (or at least stories that make a vague sort of sense, like the Cambridge Latin Course!)
Original post by Frankster1992
Hey guys, I need some help in regards to a tattoo I want to get. I want to get latin writing on my inner arm above the elbow (positioned just below the bicep). I want the latin to translate the following english: "Family first" or "Nothing is more important than family" or something along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :tongue:
Familia primum/primulum [family first] (Primum would be much more common than primulum, but I gave primulum also because it can be used to add emphasis and looks a tiny bit more like familia. Also, both are adverbs rather than adjectives, since you'd use the adverb if you wanted to imply "family comes first" or something, as I assume you do.)

Nihil magis familia oportet [nothing is more fitting/right/necessary/important than family] or nihil familia maior [nothing is greater than family] or nihil familia potior [nothing is more important than/preferable to family] or nihil familia gravior [nothing is more serious/important than family]

Hope that helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jismith1989
Familia primum/primulum [family first] (Primum would be much more common than primulum, but I gave primulum also because it can be used to add emphasis and looks a tiny bit more like familia. Also, both are adverbs rather than adjectives, since you'd use the adverb if you wanted to imply "family comes first" or something, as I assume you do.)

Nihil magis familia oportet [nothing is more fitting/right/necessary/important than family] or nihil familia maior [nothing is greater than family] or nihil familia potior [nothing is more important than/preferable to family] or nihil familia gravior [nothing is more serious/important than family]

Hope that helps.

Thankyou so much. Think i'm going to go for "Nihil magis familia oportet" :tongue:
Original post by Frankster1992
Thankyou so much. Think i'm going to go for "Nihil magis familia oportet" :tongue:
Alright, no worries, hope it doesn't hurt too much. :biggrin:
Original post by riotgrrl

Original post by riotgrrl
Just got back from Latin Summer School and we used those books... did the first two in ten days so I'm not sure how well it all sunk in, really. How do you like it? I think it's good, and all the English into Latin is probably really good for your grammar but it's just not as fun as reading proper Latin (or at least stories that make a vague sort of sense, like the Cambridge Latin Course!)

Bloody hell, that's quick! I think the first two at my uni are used in one term and that's an intensive course. :eek: I really like them - having a grammar nazi for German has taught me that grammar really is the key (at least for me) to languages. Before I had this teacher German was just a mess for me, but knowing the grammar meant I started to enjoy it and took it to A level, so I really like the approach.

I think I like the no frills approach and I love all the exercises, as that's how I learn best. It's a shame that Reading Greek isn't laid out like it, as I like that sort of order to a book - it helps de-clutter my brain!

Then again, Lingua Latina is a good approach too because everything is in Latin and it shows you how much you actually can do. However, I do get wound up as I like to know what conjugation etc it is. Plus, I'm not sure it's a good approach if I want to prove that I know it formally, as I'd have to parse stuff.

Sorry for the essay! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest