How chocolatey should red velvet cake be? Watch

London Blue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm baking my friend a cake for her half birthday (17 and a half), and I think I want to make it a red velvet cake. I bought her some cupcakes from Lola's Kitchen for Christmas, and one of them was red velvet and she loved it. The other day she mentioned she was really craving it, so that's what I want to bake for her

I really cba with it going wrong at any stage and I'm lazy, so I'm going to bake it using a packet cake mix. I assumed it was meant to be a chocolate cake, so I was just going to buy a chocolate mix, but now I've heard it's not meant to be all that chocolatey..

So how chocolatey should it be? Should I use chocolate mix, a chocolate mixed with a plain mix, or a plain sponge mix with a few spoons of chocolate? If anyone has ever had a red velvet from Lola's, please tell me how chocolatey it was so I don't mess it up please!

EDIT: I'd love to know what that neg rep was for
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Red Velvet Cake. OMG. I wondered what that cake was I had at a 21st birthday the other day. It was ****ing fantastic. I need to make me one of those.

The cake I had (which was the best cake I've ever tasted) really wasn't that chocolatey at all. To be honest thinking back I didn't even think there was any chocolate in it.
dipless
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It should be fairly choclatey, the major thing you have to be careful with Red Velvet cakes is making sure you use slightly more dry ingredients, as you have to use quite a lot of red colouring and it can make the mixture quite wet.... mmmm I need to bake some cakes now
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

:sogood:
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think you could make a 'real' red velvet cake from box mixes (unless you used a specific red velvet mix like this). I've only tried a tiny bit of red velvet cake but I think it's meant to have a different texture to normal chocolate cake or vanilla sponge - most recipes I've seen use cake flour rather than plain/self-raising, and they also usually involve buttermilk.

If you do make it yourself and you need the red colouring, the colour pastes/gels are better than the liquid - you'll need to use a loottttt of the liquid colouring to get it a nice bright red (often ends up a bit brown-ish red, like this), and personally I think it can end up tasting vile if you use a lot of liquid colouring.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kate.)
I don't think you could make a 'real' red velvet cake from box mixes (unless you used a specific red velvet mix like this). I've only tried a tiny bit of red velvet cake but I think it's meant to have a different texture to normal chocolate cake or vanilla sponge - most recipes I've seen use cake flour rather than plain/self-raising, and they also usually involve buttermilk.

If you do make it yourself and you need the red colouring, the colour pastes/gels are better than the liquid - you'll need to use a loottttt of the liquid colouring to get it a nice bright red (often ends up a bit brown-ish red, like this), and personally I think it can end up tasting vile if you use a lot of liquid colouring.
I did see that red velvet cake mix, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere I'm not what you'd call an experienced baker, so I'm not too confident about doing it from scratch. I don't mind if it's not totally the same as real red velvet because I think most of it's allure comes from the colour anyway, and there's probably going to be alcohol at this celebration so I doubt anyone will notice the taste of the cake that much when they're drunk! I do want to make an effort though, which is why I wanted to know how chocolatey it would be. I did ask her anyway, and she said it's noticeably chocolatey but not as chocolatey as chocolate cake
TheCaledonian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how chocolatey is chocolate?
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by London Blue)
I did see that red velvet cake mix, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere I'm not what you'd call an experienced baker, so I'm not too confident about doing it from scratch. I don't mind if it's not totally the same as real red velvet because I think most of it's allure comes from the colour anyway, and there's probably going to be alcohol at this celebration so I doubt anyone will notice the taste of the cake that much when they're drunk! I do want to make an effort though, which is why I wanted to know how chocolatey it would be. I did ask her anyway, and she said it's noticeably chocolatey but not as chocolatey as chocolate cake
Aww, I thought I'd seen it in the massive Asda by me but I'm not 100% sure. Well, I'd go for a white sponge cake mix and add 2-3 tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder (that seems to be standard in the recipes I've seen) and the red colouring. If you use liquid colouring, then the mix should be okay for thickness, but if you use the gel colouring it might end up a little too dry/thick from the cocoa powder and you may need a splash of milk/water.

Red velvet cake usually has cream cheese icing too, you might be able to find this pre-made in a big supermarket, but if not it's easy to make - I'd go for the recipe of the Crepes of Wrath link I posted before, I usually love her stuff!
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kate.)
Aww, I thought I'd seen it in the massive Asda by me but I'm not 100% sure. Well, I'd go for a white sponge cake mix and add 2-3 tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder (that seems to be standard in the recipes I've seen) and the red colouring. If you use liquid colouring, then the mix should be okay for thickness, but if you use the gel colouring it might end up a little too dry/thick from the cocoa powder and you may need a splash of milk/water.

Red velvet cake usually has cream cheese icing too, you might be able to find this pre-made in a big supermarket, but if not it's easy to make - I'd go for the recipe of the Crepes of Wrath link I posted before, I usually love her stuff!
Ah really? Well there's a pretty big Asda sort of close to me, I'll have a look in there! If not though, I'll go for what you said
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I use this recipe but with the icing from this one, it's really easy and it tastes gorgeous (if you don't have a mixer just use a wooden spoon). It's not much effort at all, and it'll taste a million times better than something out of a packet.
MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by superwolf)
I use this recipe but with the icing from this one, it's really easy and it tastes gorgeous (if you don't have a mixer just use a wooden spoon). It's not much effort at all, and it'll taste a million times better than something out of a packet.
I might try making this myself tomorrow!

What type of flour do you use? It just says "cake flour" in the recipe, not sure if they mean plain of self-raising.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MazalTov89)
I might try making this myself tomorrow!

What type of flour do you use? It just says "cake flour" in the recipe, not sure if they mean plain of self-raising.
Do it! The best bit is mixing in the food colouring (you use a whole bottle).

I just used plain flour, it turned out fine.
JustAGoodLAD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I the only one who thinks it's weird that a cake is being made for this occasion. 17th and a half birthday... please. its just another day of the year.

Although i am 153/365ths towards my next birthday. might bake myself a cake also.
Dumb.
Angela_Beth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You know red velvet's not just extra chocolate, right? There's a few extra different ingredients. You can probably find a pre-made red velvet mix, but it's so much better if you make it yourself! And I think it's more personal as well.

I've made the Hummingbird bakery one before, would definitely recommend.
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustAGoodLAD)
I the only one who thinks it's weird that a cake is being made for this occasion. 17th and a half birthday... please. its just another day of the year.

Although i am 153/365ths towards my next birthday. might bake myself a cake also.
Dumb.
Does there always have to be some big important reason to celebrate? Besides, she was sick on her real birthday so we're making it special now. I don't get why that's a problem :/
London Blue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angela_Beth)
You know red velvet's not just extra chocolate, right? There's a few extra different ingredients. You can probably find a pre-made red velvet mix, but it's so much better if you make it yourself! And I think it's more personal as well.

I've made the Hummingbird bakery one before, would definitely recommend.
I know, I know, there's like buttermilk and all that. I'm just a really crap baker, I reeally don't want to risk it going wrong. I think a box mix cake which turns out well is better than a cake full of effort that turns out badly.
London Blue
Rep:
?
That looks like something I'd mess up so badly No matter how well I follow recipes, it never turns out right.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That looks like something I'd mess up so badly No matter how well I follow recipes, it never turns out right.
I swear to you it's really easy. All you need to do is get the quantities right, mix them together in the right order, then pour it in a tin and bake at the right temperature. So long as you follow all that there's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work. Have a bit of confidence in yourself.
London Blue
Rep:
?
I swear to you it's really easy. All you need to do is get the quantities right, mix them together in the right order, then pour it in a tin and bake at the right temperature. So long as you follow all that there's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work. Have a bit of confidence in yourself.
Hmm .. well maybe I'll try making a little one before hand to see if I can do it Or maybe I'll enlist the help of someone who is good at baking. I'm trusting you on this being easy!
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm .. well maybe I'll try making a little one before hand to see if I can do it Or maybe I'll enlist the help of someone who is good at baking. I'm trusting you on this being easy!
Easy as pie, I promise. Getting someone to help you is a good idea just to be on the safe side though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads