The Student Room Group

[BUSS3] AQA Business Unit 3 anyone? [Friday 10th of June 2011]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Does anyone know what the 3rd question was again? I think it was something along the lines of, Is Amina right in suggesting that they need a large marketing budget to implement the marketing objectives?
Original post by gunner92
Does anyone know what the 3rd question was again? I think it was something along the lines of, Is Amina right in suggesting that they need a large marketing budget to implement the marketing objectives?

I think it was pretty much that except "to implement the marketing plan in order to meet the objectives"

Amina believes that a significant marketing budget would be necessary for her marketing plan to achieve its objectives. To what extent do you agree with this view?
Original post by jacko53bfc
They said they wanted to benefit from economies of scale but their unit price index was will higher than the industry average (industry average was 94)

Their acid ratio went from 1.3 to 0.8. This was a good thing, it reflected that she had implemented JIT in her plans and she had lost 0.5 illiquid assets. 0.8 is still healthy on the acid ratio

My final reccommendation was to keep the book stores as they had high market share, unlike with CD'S, books and technology

i said that the jit system wasnt effective
Reply 384
Original post by jacko53bfc
They said they wanted to benefit from economies of scale but their unit price index was will higher than the industry average (industry average was 94)

Their acid ratio went from 1.3 to 0.8. This was a good thing, it reflected that she had implemented JIT in her plans and she had lost 0.5 illiquid assets. 0.8 is still healthy on the acid ratio

My final reccommendation was to keep the book stores as they had high market share, unlike with CD'S, books and technology

So to a degree our points are similar, just our view on acid test ratio, which can be argued both ways anyway. Personally, i was told 1:1 was ideal and anything lower was poor and above was good so i went with that, so surely they are both right.

And one thing, the acid test ratio was from the previous year, without the introduction of JIT, it was not a proposed acid test it was there actual one and it got worse, so i said it needed to be sorted before making it worse investing £100 million, thus making it even worse in the short term.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385
Original post by sally12379823
Amina believes that a significant marketing budget would be necessary for her marketing plan to achieve its objectives. To what extent do you agree with this view?

Thanks :smile: What did you put for this? I think I said when talking about why they might not, 1) they are sharing the promotion costs with the mobile network company
2) they could promote the new website in their 50 remaining stores, especially as the age rang that was like mid 30's i think, enjoyed their customer service and were more affluent, so had more money which would be important as the website was selling things for ipads and sony readers.. Meh, it kind of made sense at the time!
Thanks :smile: What did you put for this? I think I said when talking about why they might not, 1) they are sharing the promotion costs with the mobile network company
2) they could promote the new website in their 50 remaining stores, especially as the age rang that was like mid 30's i think, enjoyed their customer service and were more affluent, so had more money which would be important as the website was selling things for ipads and sony readers.. Meh, it kind of made sense at the time!

i seemed to remember that the size of the marketing budget is not all important, so largely based it on this. So i talked about how skills of the marketing department will also be a important factor. Think i gave an example of how promotion involving media such as a tv campaign would be expensive and therefore require a significant budget. However, generating PR could be another way of promoting, where costs would be far far lower, but also explained negatives of PR. I think i largely weighed up the reasoning why its not significant, but concluded with the point about competiton, with them also probably having large budgets such as supermarkets, and the company wanting to grow, as reasoning why it likely to be a significant factor. Dunno whether that was good now though considering the large bulk of my answer was reasoning againt it:frown:

I also but what u said about sharing costs, and therefore benefit from economies of scale (although i might have put this in last question cant remember). Your second point could be considered valid, just depends on how you presented it and whether you supported it with evidence.
Reply 387
Cool seems like you got a good few points, yeah i think i presented it well but am not sure.
Reply 388
i seemed to remember that the size of the marketing budget is not all important, so largely based it on this. So i talked about how skills of the marketing department will also be a important factor. Think i gave an example of how promotion involving media such as a tv campaign would be expensive and therefore require a significant budget. However, generating PR could be another way of promoting, where costs would be far far lower, but also explained negatives of PR. I think i largely weighed up the reasoning why its not significant, but concluded with the point about competiton, with them also probably having large budgets such as supermarkets, and the company wanting to grow, as reasoning why it likely to be a significant factor. Dunno whether that was good now though considering the large bulk of my answer was reasoning againt it:frown:

I also but what u said about sharing costs, and therefore benefit from economies of scale (although i might have put this in last question cant remember). Your second point could be considered valid, just depends on how you presented it and whether you supported it with evidence.

I was just wondering, for question 3 I basically weighed up the advantages, saying it would because they need to compete with larger businesses, so the significant budget is necessary, with competitive market etc. But then my downside was that the market is unsteady, where are marketing plan wont work, as seen with introduction of E-readers, so technology is developing a lot. Therefore a marketing plan wont help them ,no matter how big the budget, because the market is unsteady, is that right? for some reason I'm really quite worried about what I've wrote :/
Original post by jdh12345
I was just wondering, for question 3 I basically weighed up the advantages, saying it would because they need to compete with larger businesses, so the significant budget is necessary, with competitive market etc. But then my downside was that the market is unsteady, where are marketing plan wont work, as seen with introduction of E-readers, so technology is developing a lot. Therefore a marketing plan wont help them ,no matter how big the budget, because the market is unsteady, is that right? for some reason I'm really quite worried about what I've wrote :/

Yeah I think that can be seen as valid, depending how you put it across and if it's interpreted as having relevance by whoever marks it. Don't think it should count as a main point though.
Reply 390
Yeah I think that can be seen as valid, depending how you put it across and if it's interpreted as having relevance by whoever marks it. Don't think it should count as a main point though.

What do you mean by main point?
I read question 2 completely different to everyone else. I calculated NPV, didn't show working, calculated payback, but didn't put it in my answer. I didn't see the point in calculating them because they said in the answer, that it was around £25 million and below 3 years. And 18 marks for just those simple calculation was far too many surely?

The question said "how realistic is this?" didn't it? So I talked about whether they could get investment of £100m by analysing the ratios. I know it said "using relevant calculations", but I assumed it meant using ratios instead of 'figures' from other appendices and by using the word "calculations" it would make it obvious.

If that was a simple calculation question why did they ask it in a retarded, incredibly misleading way?
Original post by fivepoundoff
I read question 2 completely different to everyone else. I calculated NPV, didn't show working, calculated payback, but didn't put it in my answer. I didn't see the point in calculating them because they said in the answer, that it was around £25 million and below 3 years. And 18 marks for just those simple calculation was far too many surely?

The question said "how realistic is this?" didn't it? So I talked about whether they could get investment of £100m by analysing the ratios. I know it said "using relevant calculations", but I assumed it meant using ratios instead of 'figures' from other appendices and by using the word "calculations" it would make it obvious.

If that was a simple calculation question why did they ask it in a retarded, incredibly misleading way?

i'm sure it said how realistic are her targets of 25m so you had to calculate to see whether is would be and it was (29.6m)
Original post by jakka93
i'm sure it said how realistic are her targets of 25m so you had to calculate to see whether is would be and it was (29.6m)

But still 18 marks, for something that takes literally 2 minutes?

Anyway, how much do you reckon I'll get, I analysed the NPV and Payback, I said that Payback was within 3 years (didn't show calculations) and said that NPV was £29.6 million, but with no working out? Pretty annoyed at that, I didn't think a question could be so simple for 18 marks, and I went and made a question more difficult.

Anyway, how much do you reckon I'll get, I analysed the NPV and Payback, I said that Payback was within 3 years (didn't show calculations) and said that NPV was £29.6 million, but with no working out? Pretty annoyed at that, I didn't think a question could be so simple for 18 marks, and I went and made a question more difficult.

Yeah so for 18 marks you would have to calculate them, which would Probs get u at least 9 points probably more for 2, then analyse/ evaluate it for the rest. So defo more than a few marks for it still.

well i worked out the two calculations with working out and then i made a point supporting the statement suggesting that it would work by pointing out the advantages of these calculations and then i wrote a paragraph on point out the drawbacks of these calculations. and then i wrote a conclusion(i think i mainly wrote about other variables such as external factors)
i suppose payback is correct but i think you would have to be a bit more precise to gain the marks as that could be a complete guess. if you analysed NPV and payback well done you'll get marks on that. did you say you used other calculations to support your argument? if so that will replace application marks lost from not calculating payback etc. :smile: i'm sure you'll get decent marks for that question and afterall its question 4 which is more important
Original post by jdh12345
What do you mean by main point?

Well the question was asking if a significant marketing budget was needed, not to what extent a marketing plan was important as another past paper did where your point would have 100% been valid. So don't think it's really a key factor in deciding whether a sig budget was needed, but more a side point on marketing plans. Just my opinion though im just a student like yourself, not a business teacher. :smile:
Original post by jakka93
well i worked out the two calculations with working out and then i made a point supporting the statement suggesting that it would work by pointing out the advantages of these calculations and then i wrote a paragraph on point out the drawbacks of these calculations. and then i wrote a conclusion(i think i mainly wrote about other variables such as external factors)
i suppose payback is correct but i think you would have to be a bit more precise to gain the marks as that could be a complete guess. if you analysed NPV and payback well done you'll get marks on that. did you say you used other calculations to support your argument? if so that will replace application marks lost from not calculating payback etc. :smile: i'm sure you'll get decent marks for that question and afterall its question 4 which is more important

For payback, I didn't put the actual calculation, but I did say it was under 3 years, so I'm guessing I would get 1 mark for that, but with a calculation I probably would have got like 5 or 6. For NPV I simply said that "NPV is targeted to be around £25 million, in fact its £29.6 million therefore this is on target, and better than what they were targeting" and then said stuff like positive NPV is good because etc. Then I said Payback was indeed below 3 years, then said that's still a long time therefore the investment carries serious risk, but in order to properly analyse it you need to have something to compare it with.

I used other calculations but that was to say whether they would get investment in order to make the NPV and Payback realistic - I misread the question.

In all honesty, do you think there is any chance I can get at least half marks? I'm hoping so as the business mark schemes are never specific and are very vague, so as long as give understandable analysis, I hopefully will get marks (knowing my luck, I doubt it, though)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending