The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by jelly1000
hi sorry just quoting this so you see this post. are we required to bring our gcse/alevel certs with us to enrollment

We were told to bring them but quite frankly mine never saw the light of day! Best to er on the side of caution and bring them though, it might vary between schools :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Lucyyy
We were told to bring them but quite frankly mine never saw the light of day! Best to er on the side of caution and bring them though, it might vary between schools :smile:

thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Congrats! :biggrin: That's awesome!

Yeah.. It gets worse. It wasn't just me... There were two of us working in a pair. It was in year 9 at high school but I don't think that really makes it any better... The thing is, neither of us actually noticed it burning into the pan... Or figured out that it would (and we had a conversation about putting the cheese in too)... I was busy stirring the spaghetti and she was checking on our other friend who was making dessert... At least we didn't burn anything badly enough to set the smoke alarm off though... Or make a fire. Someone else forgot about greaseproof paper so substituted this with ordinarly paper, which caught fire in the oven and set the fire alarm off...

Seriously? Is this normal or just your college? Our English room had one wall piled high with books (you had to get someone tall to stand on a chair on a table on their tiptoes to reach the books on the top. Heath and safety? Nope. Fun? Surprisingly so.) and I didn't realise until I had to give it all back just how many books I'd borrowed from there... :rolleyes:

Speaking of books - how many of yours are you taking that aren't course specified? I was sorting out the corner of my room (where stuff piles ridiculously high behind my door) in an attempt to get to a box of books on the bottom to find out that the weight of my books had broken the box and they were all spilling out of the side. I kept finding all my old books that I'd lost ages ago. it was like getting new books over again. My mum was like, 'Those should go in the loft. You don't need those.' to be answered with, 'OMG! Noughts and Crosses! I lost this when I was, like, 10...'

Haha, same! I will not replace a pair of jeans until they start to fall apart. Though having said that, I have realised, after sorting out my room today, that I have a lot of pairs of jeans. A couple of them are 'house jeans' because they're either too short or they're falling apart. But I have discovered more jeans than I could probably wear... And I had to google Uniqlo... :colondollar: I'm ashamed of my lack of knowledge on clothing...

I think I'm gonna need more than vacuum bags to get all my stuff in. My room here is bursting at the seams... Imagine what it'll be like at uni when I have more stuff to fit in less space... :eek:

I'm getting really excited about buying everything now! :smile:

I think I'm only going to take 1 or 2 non course specific books. I don't think I'm going to have time to read for pleasure. I still have Noughts and Crosses on my bookshelf. :love: I met Malorie Blackman and told her I wanted to play Sephy in the film version! :laugh: My old college were really odd... they took a deposit but didn't even give you the books to keep. I remember moaning to my friends about not knowing what they used the money for! Don't worry, I had to google the clothes shop you mentioned! :laugh:
I still haven't bought anything! I took out £300 from my account and tried to buy a hand blender today but I felt too guilty because the £300 was supposed to pay for my bicycle and part of the cost of my laptop. :sigh: At this rate I'm going to turn up to university with the clothes on my back, a frying pan and a duvet cover without a duvet. I'm sure I'll be able to go shopping next week but I just want it done now so I can stop writing lists and enjoy my last few weeks of having nothing to do. :laugh:
Original post by diamonddust
I think I'm only going to take 1 or 2 non course specific books. I don't think I'm going to have time to read for pleasure. I still have Noughts and Crosses on my bookshelf. :love: I met Malorie Blackman and told her I wanted to play Sephy in the film version! :laugh: My old college were really odd... they took a deposit but didn't even give you the books to keep. I remember moaning to my friends about not knowing what they used the money for! Don't worry, I had to google the clothes shop you mentioned! :laugh:
I still haven't bought anything! I took out £300 from my account and tried to buy a hand blender today but I felt too guilty because the £300 was supposed to pay for my bicycle and part of the cost of my laptop. :sigh: At this rate I'm going to turn up to university with the clothes on my back, a frying pan and a duvet cover without a duvet. I'm sure I'll be able to go shopping next week but I just want it done now so I can stop writing lists and enjoy my last few weeks of having nothing to do. :laugh:

:eek: uber jealous she's my favourite author!
(you can tell i'm not an English student with a bookcase containing a small number of authors :tongue: (and many twisted crime/horror books))
Original post by Lucyyy

Hi, I was going to post on your profile but thought others here might be interested.

i wanted to ask when 'normal' students go back to uni after xmas? i say 'normal' to distinguish from med students

p.s you have amazing eyes, and i love the red hair :smile:
Original post by diamonddust

Okay. :smile: OMG! :eek: You met Malorie Blackman!? When and how? That's awesome! :biggrin:

Your college really was weird... Mine just threatened to bill you for the cost of a brand new set of whatever it was you borrowed if you didn't bring it back. Haha, maybe we both need to go clothes shopping a bit more... :tongue:

I actually bought some clothes for uni today and have discovered that I have far too many checked shirts... But I actually went into town to get a phone on contract... I didn't. But I still have credit to use up so I can wait another week or so.

Don't worry; that £300 might be better used on your laptop and bike. Speaking of which, I may have dig my old bike out of the shed... But I doubt I'll need it nuch on campus. ^_^ Nah, I'm fine to wait, but only 'cause I'm busy sorting out all the stuff I already have lying around here that I can take with me. :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by High As A Kite
Hi, I was going to post on your profile but thought others here might be interested.

i wanted to ask when 'normal' students go back to uni after xmas? i say 'normal' to distinguish from med students

p.s you have amazing eyes, and i love the red hair :smile:

Why thank you! :smile: This year xmas holidays started 17th December, and started back either 17th or 24th of January.. my memory doesn't serve me too well on that one.
Just read this on twitter:
All of this year's @UnionUEA Handbooks have been sent to all new home students! International students-collect yours when you arrive at UEA!

Time to stalk the postman again haha
Reply 588
Original post by Lucyyy
Why thank you! :smile: This year xmas holidays started 17th December, and started back either 17th or 24th of January.. my memory doesn't serve me too well on that one.

It would have been 17th, it's always exactly a calender month (Friday and Monday permitting). Same goes for easter :smile:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
It would have been 17th, it's always exactly a calender month (Friday and Monday permitting). Same goes for easter :smile:

xxx

so you can confirm we definitely go back on the 17th of jan? :smile:

thanks .lucy too
Reply 590
so you can confirm we definitely go back on the 17th of jan? :smile:

thanks .lucy too

Well this year it will be 16th- it's always a monday :smile:

Dates are here http://www.uea.ac.uk/about/dates (scroll down past all the 'this is when xmas is' stuff).

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Well this year it will be 16th- it's always a monday :smile:

Dates are here http://www.uea.ac.uk/about/dates (scroll down past all the 'this is when xmas is' stuff).

xxx

hey, thanks for that :smile:

i dont suppose you wrote a list of what you needed when you started? im about to write a checklist :/ looking back, is there anything you wish you bought in the first month?
I'll start by explaining I hate applying for things on the internet and I'd rather be sent a pile of paper forms and instructions.

How does one go about Online Registration?

I've recieved an email from med.admiss:

Spoiler

So I follow the links and it's telling me to register online:
You will receive an email from [email protected] 30 days before the start of your course, sent to the email address you provided to the University. It will provide you with access to online registration and will explain how to complete it.

Should I have received this email already, as there is 23 days before the start of my course and therefore should email requesting a new email? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

(I know it's almost certainly the latter, I just wanted to make sure.)

I wrote all of that out, before I decided to check other sources. Anyway, if anyone else has the same concerns...

I'll shut up now. :embarrassed:
Has everyone received their registration e-mails? I've received nothing from UEA, other than my accom details and I'm getting a little worried...
Original post by ellie-wellie
Has everyone received their registration e-mails? I've received nothing from UEA, other than my accom details and I'm getting a little worried...

I haven't, nor my handbook. They said roughly 3 weeks before, so there's still lots of time. (Although the wait is horrible!)
Reply 595
hey, thanks for that :smile:

i dont suppose you wrote a list of what you needed when you started? im about to write a checklist :/ looking back, is there anything you wish you bought in the first month?

I did actually! I would post it on here but it seems a little pointless because all I did was copy and paste this list http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University in to word and delete everything that didn't apply to me/wasn't allowed at UEA (http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/livinginuearesidences/whattopack).

I can't think of anything particularly that I was lacking. Things I would advise other than the norm/obvious would be:
¬Lots of pictures and cool stuff to stick on the noticeboard to make you feel at home (though you'll soon build up a new collection of pics, tickets etc :smile:)
¬A couple of good/favourite books; again these can be a comfort and also come in handy waiting for laundry.
¬A surge protector/extension lead thing, to plug everything in at once!
¬Something to carry washing to the laundrette with; a tesco plastic bag for life will do just fine if you don't have a wash basket with handles
¬Polish and a duster
¬A lamp for your bedside
¬A clothes airer (though this and the lamp and extension might be easier bought there)

And I'd say if you have the option of leaving stuff at home, I wouldn't bother bringing a lot of DVDs, CDs, a TV, books etc; you can have all your music on your computer/mp3 and a couple of the other two will do. It is nice to gather with flatmates on a bed and watch a DVD so bring a few, but really there's so much to do you tend not to miss that kind of thing! In fact with DVDs I'd advise what I do, which is get those 'CD holder' zip up things so you can just chuck one of those in rather than a million DVD cases, then transfer back once you're out of student accom so have more space!

xxx
So I've just completed registration and I'm confused as hell. The UEA photo thing seemed to think my passport sized photo was too small, and there is one part which has my name and photo, except the photo isnt showing up there. I forgot to write down my UEA email address and now I dont remember which initials are upper case and which are lower case. Plus I wasn't given a password for it. Tried going back but I can't find any record of the email address.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by makingamemory
:eek: uber jealous she's my favourite author!
(you can tell i'm not an English student with a bookcase containing a small number of authors :tongue: (and many twisted crime/horror books))

Malorie Blackman is awesome! My sister's been pestering me to get rid of Noughts and Crosses for years and I've refused to. It's signed! I can't throw it away!
Have you read Checkmate? I didn't like it as much as the other 3 but that's because Callie Rose annoys the hell out of me!
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Okay. :smile: OMG! :eek: You met Malorie Blackman!? When and how? That's awesome! :biggrin:

Your college really was weird... Mine just threatened to bill you for the cost of a brand new set of whatever it was you borrowed if you didn't bring it back. Haha, maybe we both need to go clothes shopping a bit more... :tongue:

I actually bought some clothes for uni today and have discovered that I have far too many checked shirts... But I actually went into town to get a phone on contract... I didn't. But I still have credit to use up so I can wait another week or so.

Don't worry; that £300 might be better used on your laptop and bike. Speaking of which, I may have dig my old bike out of the shed... But I doubt I'll need it nuch on campus. ^_^ Nah, I'm fine to wait, but only 'cause I'm busy sorting out all the stuff I already have lying around here that I can take with me. :smile:

She was doing a booksigning at my local bookshop! Think I was in year 7 or something! I remember just gushing at her and telling her how much I loved Sephy and Callum and how I wanted to write too and how I wanted to play Sephy! She must have thought I was a total freak haha
Checked shirts are awesome! :love:
Is anyone else really excited for Freshers week? I refuse to call it Welcome Week. It sounds so good!
Reply 598
Original post by jelly1000
So I've just completed registration and I'm confused as hell. The UEA photo thing seemed to think my passport sized photo was too small, and in fact the photo isn't showing up at all. I forgot to write down my UEA email address and now I dont remember which initials are upper case and which are lower case. Plus I wasn't given a password for it. Tried going back but I can't find any record of the email address.

Yeah I think they sent it a little early, it has quite a few bugs! The most common problem I know about is people not actually being able to set a password...

ICT said it would be sorted by Tuesday, so I'm just going to leave it till then to try fill it out again.

Ha, I got so stressed out trying to complete it! Hope you're not as stressed as me :P
Original post by Fliq
Yeah I think they sent it a little early, it has quite a few bugs! The most common problem I know about is people not actually being able to set a password...

ICT said it would be sorted by Tuesday, so I'm just going to leave it till then to try fill it out again.

Ha, I got so stressed out trying to complete it! Hope you're not as stressed as me :P

see I had no problem with setting a password for the portal, its the password for the email account that I dont have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending