Turn on thread page Beta

how useful are they on ice/snow etc? how long do they take to fit? and which wheels need them? drive and steering? what about when you get onto the main roads that are clear of snow? can you still drive on there with the chains on or do you have to take them off?

ReputationRep:
    Useless if you live in the city and don't get real snow and have good roads - they don't work well with the asphalt. If you're out somewhere ungritted with loads of poor roads you will struggle and would require a 4x4 with off road tyres anyway.

If you want a set you often find them 10 a penny on carboots for these reasons.

(Original post by pghstochaj)
    Useless if you live in the city and don't get real snow and have good roads - they don't work well with the asphalt. If you're out somewhere ungritted with loads of poor roads you will struggle and would require a 4x4 with off road tyres anyway.

If you want a set you often find them 10 a penny on carboots for these reasons.
    just depends where im workin. most days its near main roads what will be gritted, other days its in the middle of no-where. altho there isnt normally that much snow where i live anyway

ReputationRep:
    My dad had a set when I was young, the snows of 1994 was it or something? THe last time we had it really bad for a week anyway. He went around the block and back, I think they took about 5-10 minutes to fit and 10 seconds to chuck in the bin

ReputationRep:
    Why not get those fold up overwheel ones then you can put them on when you need.

ReputationRep:
    not much point in having them in the uk- they wreck your tyres and are only really of use on deepish snow.

As for what wheels to shove them on- the fronts.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.