Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I would really like to join the RAF as a pilot, but I've recently read they are not training any new pilots this year. Is this true? And also, when do you think they will be taking on new pilots?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12459901

This may be of some help to you.

ReputationRep:
    Mate still go for it, im no expert but pilots must retire every year i guess so they need new ones. Good luck if u go for it !!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah they dont just tell you no... you go on a list essentially!
    Ive been waiting 3 years (although not for pilot) and i start in 4 weeks tomorrow....
    do it

ReputationRep:
    speak to your local afco (armed forces careers office). they'll advise according to the trade/branch you wish to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    You can still register your interest - and start learning everything you'll need to know - but even if everything goes perfectly to plan, don't expect to start any sooner tha, probably, 2013.

If you're not doing/at it already, go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You can still register your interest - and start learning everything you'll need to know - but even if everything goes perfectly to plan, don't expect to start any sooner tha, probably, 2013.

If you're not doing/at it already, go to uni.
    This.

At the moment and for the foreseeable future you (not personally) probably have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a seat in a fast jet.

ReputationRep:
    Pilot recruitment will be closed until at the very earliest April 2012 and will possibly remain closed for another year until April 2013.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abby-mills)
    Hey, I would really like to join the RAF as a pilot, but I've recently read they are not training any new pilots this year. Is this true? And also, when do you think they will be taking on new pilots?
    Thanks.

180 pilots have beeen sacked a couple of weeks ago and pilot applicants won't be accepted until late 2012 thanks to govt cuts. So im afraid you won't be able to fulfill your dreams of being the first female typhoon pilot or whatever it is your hoping to fly until 2017 or 18! But you can still apply!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by RikArk)
    180 pilots have beeen sacked

Made redundant, not sacked.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.