Advantages and Disadvantages of going to a Uni in London? Watch

hamburgerandbeans
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am thinking about if it is worth going to a Uni in London. Imperial looks nice!!

Anyway, what are the general advantages and disadvantages of going to a Uni in London?

I thought:
Advantages: Great night life

Disadvantages:Expensive!!! Fairly close to home so I can go home maybe once a week or two weeks (an hour away although depends on where I go in London). Another disadvantage is that people who are living off campus may be living in different areas of London (some may be in east london, some in west london etc).

Can you add to this list?
cjcw20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's good career opportunities after you graduate.
Wookie42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will cost you bare dolla.
hattikins
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You get an extra 2 grand each year with your student loan. Sounds great, until you realise that that means if you're doing a 3 year course, you'll be paying back 6K more than you would be had you gone to a uni outside of London!
charcharchar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hattikins)
You get an extra 2 grand each year with your student loan. Sounds great, until you realise that that means if you're doing a 3 year course, you'll be paying back 6K more than you would be had you gone to a uni outside of London!
fellow bambi fan :love:
s'all.

OH AND advantages:
fantastic culture/interesting people/good range of shops....
disadvantages:
massively hectic?
hattikins
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by charcharchar)
fellow bambi fan :love:
s'all.

OH AND advantages:
fantastic culture/interesting people/good range of shops....
disadvantages:
massively hectic?
I do like bambi, but the reason i chose it is because my friends call me "bambi" quite a lot. They say that I look like a frightened a baby deer lol.
username119464
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ife/advantages
hoolymay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what's wrong with unis out of london?
you might end up getting just as good a uni experience in a big city elsewhere whilst everything is wayy cheaper?
is it important that you're close to home?
lilangel890
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can't think of any advantages tbh :/ |LOL at that UCL link saying London is cost-effective
hamburgerandbeans
Rep:
?
Hmm, that is pretty biased!!
Jack McGill
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
London is a truly amazing city and with that comes loads of obvious advantages.

The drawbacks are cost, which is big, and the size may make it less friendly.
hamburgerandbeans
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone. Personally I do not think I will go to Uni in London. Uni is expensive anyway but in London it is ridiculouslly expensive. And there are plenty of good Uni's I know about which are not in London anyway.

One more question though.... I have been looking at the University of Essex which is in Colchester. Since Essex is just east of London and is not quite in London, would it still be ridiculouslly expensive or not???
chr1stopher11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
My own list is:

Advantages
The most happening city in the UK
Very good graduate opportunities and opportunities for internships/work experience
Tonnes of stuff you can do
So diverse and you'll find things in London that you won't be able to find anywhere else in the UK or even sometimes the world
Very busy (I like this)
Some of the worlds's best academic opportunities in terms of universities, libraries etc

Disadvantages
Difficult to get peace and quite, ie parks with lots of open space that aren't all taken up by other people
Expensive, especially the accommodation

PS I'm going to a university in London in September.
countryfile
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only disadvantage for me was finding somewhere good to live because we left it until the last minute, so it was crazy difficult

(Cost wasn't too much of an issue, and to be fair you can get reasonably priced, decently located houses in my opinion).
Jack McGill
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks everyone. Personally I do not think I will go to Uni in London. Uni is expensive anyway but in London it is ridiculouslly expensive. And there are plenty of good Uni's I know about which are not in London anyway.

One more question though.... I have been looking at the University of Essex which is in Colchester. Since Essex is just east of London and is not quite in London, would it still be ridiculouslly expensive or not???
No its not that expensive, all though not ridiculously cheap. Personally though, as someone who dropped out of there, I would not advise to be honest. It doesn't have a great feel at all as well as a lack of facilities etc.
ArcaneAnna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am thinking about if it is worth going to a Uni in London. Imperial looks nice!!

Anyway, what are the general advantages and disadvantages of going to a Uni in London?

I thought:

Disadvantages:Expensive!!! Fairly close to home so I can go home maybe once a week or two weeks (an hour away although depends on where I go in London). Another disadvantage is that people who are living off campus may be living in different areas of London (some may be in east london, some in west london etc).

London is a ****hole. End of.

Yes, I've lived there. And it is pua *******s.
Nice for a visit. **** to live in.
Liebling
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
London rocks. That is all.
muffingg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I thought:

It will cost you a lot of money, but if you really think it is best for you (uni-wise) to go to a London Uni, then don't think too much about the money and just go there.
makks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Disadvantages
Difficult to get peace and quite, ie parks with lots of open space that aren't all taken up by other people
Expensive, especially the accommodation

+100
xxm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm interested. What are people's views now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (957)
79.82%
Leave (242)
20.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed