What is the main part of an essay called? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have this Entrepreneurial Principles and Techniques exam in two hours time and the questions have to written in a formal essay style.

I will do an introduction and conclusion but what do you call the main text in between?
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I have this Entrepreneurial Principles and Techniques exam in two hours time and the questions have to written in a formal essay style.

I will do an introduction and conclusion but what do you call the main text in between?
the body
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
the body
I would have thought that, otherwise some call it 'the argument'. That is to say that you have your intro, argument, conclusion of an essay.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
the body
Yeah I was going to just but Main text body but is it ok do this in the exam? I thought it would have a fancy name or somthing.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I was going to just but Main text body but is it ok do this in the exam? I thought it would have a fancy name or somthing.
It's obviously been too long since I wrote an essay but is it absolutely necessary to divide it up under headings like Inroduction, Conclusion etc?
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not to my knowledge, at least, in a literary essay 'body' will usually suffice, and i'm almost positive that's the case in most essays (even in a thesis it is referred to as the body). There may be a more 'fancy' name in existance but u certainly won't be penalised if u don't use it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Howard - Yeah the its a female tutor that is very strict on the use of english etc. She said if its not written in formal essay style she may refuse to mark it.

Grace - Thanks thats good enough for me. I will just call it the body.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Howard - Yeah the its a female tutor that is very strict on the use of english etc. She said if its not written in formal essay style she may refuse to mark it.

Grace - Thanks thats good enough for me. I will just call it the body.
Hmmmmmm. Interesting. When I did my law degree I started off doing things like that and was told in no uncertain terms not to do it again!

The idea was that it should be perfectly apparent to the reader what constituted the intro, the meat on the bones, and the summary, and that they should naturally flow from one to the other.

Still, takes all types I guess!
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The body
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads