The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Biology A-level?

Hi,

I need to finalize my a-level choices soon, i'm choosing Maths, History, Business and i'm not sure whether to choose Chemistry or Biology, i'm pretty good at both but which do you think would be more useful? (I'm not to sure what i want to do after I finish a-levels)
Reply 1
Choose biology trust me!
Chemistry is terrible!
Reply 2
Either could be helpful. It's a matter of what you enjoy more. Personally, I'd pick Chemistry because I love it!
Chemistry! It's much 'easier' if you're good at maths, more skills based than how much knowledge you can absorb and regurgitate (like biology) and thus a lot less work and probably more useful :smile:
Reply 4
^ Yusss, Chem is more logical :wink:
Reply 5
Both are good choices as they are a physical science but trust me, chemistry is very hard in comparison to biology.

Chemistry and physics along with further maths are in the "hard as nails" category of A-levels.
Chemistry... in biology there is just so much to learn and memorise. You learn the whole unit and the exams turn out to be on really selective topics!
Reply 7
it depends how you think, whether you're more mathematical or whether you like a lot of diagrams and are good at explaining chains of events etc.
Reply 8
Chemistry would be more useful and it would be regarded as more of an intellectual "tussle"
Reply 9
I have chose both of them and I find biology easier and far more interesting. In chemistry a lot of calculations are required rather than just learning basic facts. In biology it is more knowledge oriented which basically means you have to remember facts rather than remembering how to do a calculation.

It is your choice, if you are doing maths then chemistry will be easy for you but I think biology is far more interesting.
I personally find chemistry more interesting. I do Edexcel SNAB, and the second half of it is basically all plants/biodiversity, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Quick Reply

Latest