Dropped out of uni, do I need to state it in my personal statement? Watch

iloveyoux
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've dropped out of uni as I didn't like the course. I'm reapplying and going through UCAS extra. Would I need to state in my personal statement why I left the uni?
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You need to include the uni under the 'Education' section, but you do not need to discuss it in your PS.
Queenie_pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't put this in your personal statement. Your personal statement is potentially the only chance you have to make yourself look good.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Queenie_pie)
Don't put this in your personal statement. Your personal statement is potentially the only chance you have to make yourself look good.
You obviously don't think that a mature discussion of the reasons for the decision to change could be positive, then? I'm not saying it applies in this case, as I don't have a clue about the circumstances, but there are plenty of situations in which including such information in the PS would contribute positively to the candidate's case.
Queenie_pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
You obviously don't think that a mature discussion of the reasons for the decision to change could be positive, then? I'm not saying it applies in this case, as I don't have a clue about the circumstances, but there are plenty of situations in which including such information in the PS would contribute positively to the candidate's case.
Yeah but saying you dropped out isn't going to. You have to think about how this will look to them. Im sure that your reasons were completely mature, however, for a personal statement there is just no need to put it there. Admissions tutors could see it in a completely negative way. You will have to put it on your ucas anyway, so they will see it regardless. But I just don't think its necessary. But obviously no one can stop you from writing what you want to write.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Queenie_pie)
Yeah but saying you dropped out isn't going to. How do you know that? Or are you generalising? I think you might be. You have to think about how this will look to them. You do, and in some circumstances it might impress them. Im sure that your reasons were completely mature, however, for a personal statement there is just no need to put it there. Admissions tutors could see it in a completely negative way. They might. Then again, they might not. You really have to look at the circumstances each individual finds himself in. You will have to put it on your ucas anyway, so they will see it regardless. But I just don't think its necessary. But obviously no one can stop you from writing what you want to write.
You seem to be dogmatically sticking to your guns on this.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?