German Revolution 1848 - Reading? Watch

ElMarco1983
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I am currently studying history at university, I am in my first year, one of my moduals is based around the events of 'The German Question' and the essay question i have chosen is

How 'Revolutionary' was Germany in 1848 and why did the revolution fail?

The problem I have is that I am finding this perticular module quite hard to digest and I am having trouble finding reading materials for the subject matter and more importantly the essay, I am fine with my other 2 modules this semester but this one has me stumped.

My essay has to be in by april 11th and i don't even know where to begin.

can anyone with knowledge on this perticular subject point me in the direction of some reading materials which will help me out in the subject/essay?

Thanks in advance,
Marc.
davireland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ElMarco1983)
Hi, I am currently studying history at university, I am in my first year, one of my moduals is based around the events of 'The German Question' and the essay question i have chosen is

How 'Revolutionary' was Germany in 1848 and why did the revolution fail?

The problem I have is that I am finding this perticular module quite hard to digest and I am having trouble finding reading materials for the subject matter and more importantly the essay, I am fine with my other 2 modules this semester but this one has me stumped.

My essay has to be in by april 11th and i don't even know where to begin.

can anyone with knowledge on this perticular subject point me in the direction of some reading materials which will help me out in the subject/essay?

Thanks in advance,
Marc.
For an overview, see Christopher Clark's "Iron Kingdom", there is a short chapter on this. For a more general background on the German Question, see the German chapter in Baycroft and Hewitson (eds.) - "What is a Nation?". Finally for a more detailed explanation of the revolution see, Frank Eyck - "The Revolutions of 1848-9".

I would start by reading the general background, then read the chapter in Clark and finish off by going into some serious detail with Eyck. Supplement this with primary sources from the time (from this website: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/g...ification.html) and you should be well on your way to writing a great essay on the Revolutions in Germany.
ElMarco1983
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your suggestions, i have been to the library today to take out these books, i managed to get 2 of the 3 plus some other material on the revolutions.

any more suggestions are welcome. thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1384)
79.54%
Leave (356)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise