has any school, ever, let you study a good modern novel? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Baudrillaud
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Nothing recent has and will ever scratch the brilliance of some more aged books. If it were up to me, we'd all read "Candide". The education system is a complete farce and if they ever started teaching "Harry Potter", I'd have to boycott it.
bean4ian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
we did 'man and boy' by Tony Parsons for coursework that was good! was dramatised on TV with the guy from Hornblower playing the lead guy.

also agree with the glass menagerie, great text to study!!
afterhisheart
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
It's so unfair to think that in years to come English Students might get to read Harry Potter. I was looking for study notes on the very, very boring "Brave New World" and stumbled across a study notes book for The Philosopher's Stone!
My cousin studied Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last year and had to write some coursework on it - so unfair!!!
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My course was very varied in terms of periods. For a -level I did

Hamlet
Glass Menagerie
The Wife of Bath
Knowledge of angels (highly wierd book with a reference to sheep shagging ummmm)

Handmaid's Tale
Farenheit 451
The Duchess of Malfi
William Blake
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As much as I love Harry Potter, I couldn't study it, it would ruin it for me. Although some of my friends did thr BFG and Alice in Wonderland for their AS exam
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
It's so unfair to think that in years to come English Students might get to read Harry Potter. I was looking for study notes on the very, very boring "Brave New World" and stumbled across a study notes book for The Philosopher's Stone!
Harry potter is sh*t compared to brave new world. brave new world is one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written, whereas
harry potter is nothing but a little copy of LOTR. Harry Potter has no decent unpredicatable plotline, and has to use rumours of a charactor's death to increase its reading figures. Biggest waste of space and paper since enid blyton. At least brave New World has some depth and meaning to it. yes, it is sad that future generations will be studying harry potter, as by that age they are meant to be looking at books which require some intellectual ability, rather than churned out trash.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
Harry potter is sh*t compared to brave new world. brave new world is one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written, whereas
harry potter is nothing but a little copy of LOTR. Harry Potter has no decent unpredicatable plotline, and has to use rumours of a charactor's death to increase its reading figures. Biggest waste of space and paper since enid blyton. At least brave New World has some depth and meaning to it. yes, it is sad that future generations will be studying harry potter, as by that age they are meant to be looking at books which require some intellectual ability, rather than churned out trash.
I'm sure it is one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written if you enjoy reading science fiction, which not everyone does.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
I'm sure it is one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written if you enjoy reading science fiction, which not everyone does.
granted, but I think that with the lack of content, Harry Potter could also be very tiresome to attempt to study in depth.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
granted, but I think that with the lack of content, Harry Potter could also be very tiresome to attempt to study in depth.
That's a fair point and in truth, when I posted that thread I had only just started Brave New World so was just reading loads of science gobbledegoop at the time. Now that I've finished the book I overall thought it was good and made some good points- it's also quite a good book to write an essay on.
Although I would definately have preferred to study Harry Potter I do think it would be much easier 4 the enthusiasts to study than for people such as yourself who can't stand it so I don't think it should be studied in schools. I was just amazed to find study notes on it! (It's not exactly a tough read!)
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
That's a fair point and in truth, when I posted that thread I had only just started Brave New World so was just reading loads of science gobbledegoop at the time. Now that I've finished the book I overall thought it was good and made some good points- it's also quite a good book to write an essay on.
Although I would definately have preferred to study Harry Potter I do think it would be much easier 4 the enthusiasts to study than for people such as yourself who can't stand it so I don't think it should be studied in schools. I was just amazed to find study notes on it! (It's not exactly a tough read!)

True, so if you wanted to study something in the same genre as Harry Potter, but which had something to write about then perhaps we should be able to study something by Ursula Le Guin or Tolkein.

I agree Brave New World can be heavy going, but it is amazingly well written and there are many major themes in it which make good subjects for coursework essays, which Harry Potter frankly lacks.

I have nothing against Harry Potter as a book for enjoyable reading, but that is all it is; when people start to idolise it and pretend that it is more than a story for primary school kids, then it is annoying.
Sonata
Report 16 years ago
Well i can say everything that we study at school is ok, but it is not what i would read in my free time
poowpoow
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
god i am jealous!!!!! i dont do english nemore but in gcse, we had to read and write essays about "silas marner" among others and it was sooooo incredibly boring......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We are v lucky with our coursework, I'll give you a few egs. of what people in my class are studying:
Girl interrupted, angelas ashes, on the road, memoirs of a geisha, life of pi, bell jar, handmaids tale, remains of the day.. uh.. yeah you get the picture. We can choose anything we like as long as the exam board (welsh) ok it. The hours as well.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bean4ian)
we did 'man and boy' by Tony Parsons for coursework that was good! was dramatised on TV with the guy from Hornblower playing the lead guy.
He was sexy
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've never read 'Brave New World', but I intend to when I have more time on my hands. When I was at school we read 'To Kill A Mocking Bird', which I really enjoyed. In my A-levels we did 'Talking Heads' by Alan Bennett. That was levelled out by Chaucer and the absolutely godawful Sylvia Plath.

I really, really hate Sylvia Plath :mad:
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by aaarrrggh)
I've never read 'Brave New World', but I intend to when I have more time on my hands. When I was at school we read 'To Kill A Mocking Bird', which I really enjoyed. In my A-levels we did 'Talking Heads' by Alan Bennett. That was levelled out by Chaucer and the absolutely godawful Sylvia Plath.

I really, really hate Sylvia Plath :mad:
not as much as I hate seamus heaney. the man has turned mediocre drivel into an art form.

i agree sylvia plath is pretty bad, but her poem"you're" is ok
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For GCSE, some people did their coursework on Bridget Jones' diary

We also did Lord of the Flies, which I loved. AS-level: Enduring Love, which is great...
username1170
Report 15 years ago
We did of mice and men which i thought was good...and touching the void, recently released in cinemas
bean4ian
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
He was sexy

i thought so too!!
KizzieB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hi
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (383)
67.43%
No (185)
32.57%

Watched Threads