has any school, ever, let you study a good modern novel?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
two_headed_monk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
cos mine hasnt, and i havent met anyone yet who has.
press2play
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by two_headed_monk)
my school has. 'snow falling on cedars' which was fairly recent, and also 'bridget jones' diary' which happened to be in conjunction with pride and prejudice (ooh original) but nevertheless it's modern!
researcher
Report 16 years ago
I know that the following have been studied in schools near me:
Snow Falling on Cedars
Enduring Love
The Collector (John Fowles)
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, we have read Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Does 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee count? We did that for GCSE and I really liked it, but we also did 'Pride and Prejudice' as well, to even things out a bit. I liked that too, just not the analysing bit!
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Joanna*)
Does 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee count? We did that for GCSE and I really liked it, but we also did 'Pride and Prejudice' as well, to even things out a bit. I liked that too, just not the analysing bit!
Of Mice & Men

The Great Gatsby

A Glass Menagerie and Streetcar named desire

Who's afraid of Virginia woolf?

Our English A'Level course has quite a modern focus!
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood.

Great read. Pretty modern.

Also for extra English I have done "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and some Kafka.

All quite modern and very enjoyable.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Charlotte's Web. I don't think people call that one terribly old.
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ha ha.. well i never have. some people did Of mice and men when i was in a diff class.

we had to do far from the madding crowd for gcse. that book is a load of shiiiite.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The only modern novel I've done at AS is Snow Fallling on Cedars. Some people don't like it but I think it's very good.
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Enduring Love - enjoyed the philosophical side to it.
Howard's End - Tedious
Gatsby - OK
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For Higher English, I've just started Night by Elie Wiesel which was written sometime in the 1980s I believe (although referring to Holocaust events).
minxyb*~
Report 16 years ago
We're studying, amongst others, 'God of Small Things' (Arundhati Roy), 'The English Patient' (Michael Ondaatje) and 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' (Louis de Bernieres) - all modern novels, though whether they're good or not has been the subject of some heated debate in class!
None of them could compare to the classics and they're sometimes difficult to consider seriously... coursework on Corelli's been a nightmare... but I'd reccomend reading anyway...

Jo x
cellochickee
Report 16 years ago
My 10th grade pre IB english class read Memoirs of a Geisha.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's so unfair to think that in years to come English Students might get to read Harry Potter. I was looking for study notes on the very, very boring "Brave New World" and stumbled across a study notes book for The Philosopher's Stone!
cellochickee
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
It's so unfair to think that in years to come English Students might get to read Harry Potter. I was looking for study notes on the very, very boring "Brave New World" and stumbled across a study notes book for The Philosopher's Stone!
Who knows, in 100 years people might think that Harry Potter is dull. But Lord of the Rings has lasted quite a long time with large popularity! Then again, we don't read that for school.

School either ruins good stories, or avoids them. We will never know.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
I rather think that Brave New World has some deeper meaning than Harry Potter and as such would be better studied... my school (up to GCSE) was rubbish at choosing books and we ended up with Animal Farm, which I didn't personally enjoy as much as 1984.

I'd have trouble defining 'modern' too, does Animal Farm/Lord of the Flies count as modern?

Alaric.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I rather think that Brave New World has some deeper meaning than Harry Potter and as such would be better studied... my school (up to GCSE) was rubbish at choosing books and we ended up with Animal Farm, which I didn't personally enjoy as much as 1984.

I'd have trouble defining 'modern' too, does Animal Farm/Lord of the Flies count as modern?

Alaric.
I did Lord of the Flies and really enjoyed it. I think I'd class it as a modern novel. As for Brave New World I'm only 1/2 way through so who knows, I may begin to enjoy it soon. I really hate sci-fi type things though. I wouldn't be able to watch a sci-fi film so it's even worse reading a book!
rosco_baby
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my as class is doing enduring love and its absoloutely amazing, an excellent read. my friends are doing snow falling on cedars and are h.a.t.i.n.g it
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I studied the Handmaid's Tale for AS, although this year the most modern text we're studying is an Arthur Miller play.

However, I have really loved everything I've studied so far
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads