hartpm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi I'm thinking of applying for a place at Durham, but I'm not sure which college to choose? Can someone please give me a summary to what the colleges are really like (rather than what the uni wants me to think) and trying not to be biased tell me which is the best college. Thanks!
Cactus_Man
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure, I'll give it a go:

University: Pretty safe. Best dining area. Bragging rights. Most competitive admissions. Most accommodation is crap though.

Hatfield: The best. That's not bias; that's a scientific fact.

St. Chad's: Small; competitive admissions. Supposedly the best food. They have their own tutor. It's nice.

St. John's: For those who go to church for fun. Great food. They also have their own tutor.

St. Cuthbert's Society: For old people. And alcoholics.

St. Mary's: It's a'ight.

St. Aiden's: Not much of a standout if I'm honest. I know almost nothing about this place.

Grey: Even less of a standout. And they've banned pennying at formals. Boooo.

Trevelyan: Seems like a fun place. One of the nicer Hill colleges I'd assume. Might have dirty bathrooms though, which is a serious concern.

Van Mildert: Nice pond, or lake, or whatever. And they get to look at it whilst eating. Very nice.

Collingwood: Really big. I don't like the name. Other than that, it's a'ight.

St. Hilde and St. Bede: Even bigger. The biggest? Far away from everything else. Building looks nice. I like it. Except for the distance.

Josephine Butler: You get your own bathroom. Yay! But no food. And socially, it looks bland. And the buildings look bland, too. Boo.

Ustinov: Postgrads only. In other words, old people.

John Snow: Who cares?

Stephenson: Nobody cares.

And there you have it. My thorough, scientific, and completely unbiased account of Durham's colleges. They really should hire me to write uni summaries for the Times or something.

But in all seriousness, that is how I feel, and I've spent months researching Durham and its colleges, so my opinions really aren't as stupid as they sound. Hope they're of at least some help. And I hope people who attend the colleges I've bashed don't take me TOO seriously...
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just pick them to the tune of Inky Pinky Ponky.

Write them all down on a piece of paper and point at them, following the rhythm.
"Inky pinky ponky, father has a donkey, donkey died, father cried, inky pinky ponky."
Quagers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is loads and loads and loads of information on all the colleges on the uni website and on here if you do a search. If you cant be bothered to do that then you shouldnt expect anyone to write a decent summary of all 16 colleges. Also you might get some better answers than from someone who doesnt seem to ever have visited the hill.
agolati
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cactus_Man)
Sure, I'll give it a go:

University: Pretty safe. Best dining area. Bragging rights. Most competitive admissions. Most accommodation is crap though.

St. Chad's: Small; competitive admissions. Supposedly the best food. They have their own tutor. It's nice.

St. John's: For those who go to church for fun. Great food. They also have their own tutor.

St. Aiden's: Not much of a standout if I'm honest. I know almost nothing about this place.

Trevelyan: Seems like a fun place. One of the nicer Hill colleges I'd assume. Might have dirty bathrooms though, which is a serious concern.

Van Mildert: Nice pond, or lake, or whatever. And they get to look at it whilst eating. Very nice.

St. Hilde and St. Bede: Even bigger. The biggest? Far away from everything else. Building looks nice. I like it. Except for the distance.

Josephine Butler: You get your own bathroom. Yay! But no food. And socially, it looks bland. And the buildings look bland, too. Boo.

And there you have it. My thorough, scientific, and completely unbiased account of Durham's colleges. They really should hire me to write uni summaries for the Times or something.

But in all seriousness, that is how I feel, and I've spent months researching Durham and its colleges, so my opinions really aren't as stupid as they sound. Hope they're of at least some help. And I hope people who attend the colleges I've bashed don't take me TOO seriously...
What do you prefer out of aiden, grey, marys?
Does ustinov only consist of post grads?
Why is it not worth caring about john snow and stephenson - surely whether you care or not depends on what course you're aiming to study.
username233985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
collingwood is where its at
foxonstilts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by agolati)
Why is it not worth caring about john snow and stephenson - surely whether you care or not depends on what course you're aiming to study.
Yes, Ustinov is postgrad only. John Snow and Stephenson are only at the Stockton campus, so if you're going to be taking your course there, it's important. If your courses are all at the main campus, then you shouldn't even consider considering them.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure, I'll give it a go:

[

If you call 8 mins from PG/Elvet and town far then you can't have been far outside the Durham bubble!

HB is closer to town (ie shops, cafes, etc) and humanities/social science departments and lectures than any hill colleges, and it's a 15 minute walk from the science site which is hardly arduous.
benmarch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure, I'll give it a go:

You can tell a Hatfielder wrote this.
Aleeece123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure, I'll give it a go:

since when did they ban pennying?!

Sorry, I've got nothing productive to add...
Cactus_Man
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quagers)
Also you might get some better answers than from someone who doesnt seem to ever have visited the hill.
Hmm... referring to me I assume? Well, you caught me. I've never even been to Durham. But I still know my ****.

(Original post by agolati)
I'd prefer Mary's. It's the oldest, the dining room is nice, and... it's a'ight. Foxinstilts explained Ustinov and John Snow/Stephenson properly.

(Original post by victoria13)
collingwood is where its at
Wrong.

(Original post by benmarch)
You can tell a Hatfielder wrote this.
Haha what gave it away? :rolleyes:

(Original post by Aleeece123)
I don't know, but I've read about it repeatedly. It's a scary sign of the times in my opinion.
UnaChance
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't really tell you anything about the other colleges except for Grey and Van Mildert. Grey are a bunch of nutters, but in a nice way :P Plus it's a good mix between old and new (it's newer hill college but still wear gowns) and it's not so big that you'll get lost in the crowd but not so small that it's claustrophobic. A great community, you can usually hear the Grey Army about. College bar is pretty decent.

My friend goes to Van Mildert and from her mouth it's a nice, relatively modern hill college. Has a reputation for being the least 'rah' of Durham colleges because (although it varies year to year) it tends to have the smallest independent school intake. Nice place overall though.
MilaneseCat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UnaChance)
I can't really tell you anything about the other colleges except for Grey and Van Mildert. Grey are a bunch of nutters, but in a nice way :P Plus it's a good mix between old and new (it's newer hill college but still wear gowns) and it's not so big that you'll get lost in the crowd but not so small that it's claustrophobic. A great community, you can usually hear the Grey Army about. College bar is pretty decent.

My friend goes to Van Mildert and from her mouth it's a nice, relatively modern hill college. Has a reputation for being the least 'rah' of Durham colleges because (although it varies year to year) it tends to have the smallest independent school intake. Nice place overall though.
dont listen to the scouse. apply to the bailey colleges. they have so much more to offer.
Helioghost
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Aidan's: I get the impression they have awesome ents (only been to one), and have lovely rooms

Trevs: Yay! I don't think I can really refute the dirty bathrooms point, though; they're not gorgeous.

Butler: It's a swamp, not a lake!

Butler: SO MUCH HEATING. Seriously, some of the rooms are like saunas.
UnaChance
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MilaneseCat)
dont listen to the scouse. apply to the bailey colleges. they have so much more to offer.
I can honestly say that is the first time I've been refered to as 'The Scouse'. I know people who applied to Bailey colleges and loved it, I just happened to know more about Grey and Van Mildert. But thanks :P
MilaneseCat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UnaChance)
I can honestly say that is the first time I've been refered to as 'The Scouse'. I know people who applied to Bailey colleges and loved it, I just happened to know more about Grey and Van Mildert. But thanks :P
it's a term of endearment, dear friend. simply providing some excitement to this otherwise boring forum.
thank your for your contribution in making this a possibility.

anyway, what do you wish to study at durham?
random-ravenclaw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which colleges are closest to the Law Faculty? I looked on the Durham website and it's extremely confusing. Please help!
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by random-ravenclaw)
Which colleges are closest to the Law Faculty? I looked on the Durham website and it's extremely confusing. Please help!
Mary's is the closest, followed by Grey. Though Hild Bede is the furthest away, it's no more than a 15-20 minute walk.
random-ravenclaw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks!
postman_pat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aleeece123)

Sorry, I've got nothing productive to add...
I'm confused, what's pennying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (62)
56.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.55%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.36%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
5.45%

Watched Threads