Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a hidden meaning behind this question?

If you say it was good... would then pound you with harder questions?.. as they would think you were calm enough?

God, im thinking far too deep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Library)

If you say it was good... would then pound you with harder questions?.. as they would think you were calm enough?

:confused:
    Are you talking about a potential question an interviewer might ask you? i.e.: How have you come to where you are today? If I am interpretiting your post correctly, it seems to be a relatively simple question.

ReputationRep:

As far as I know, the question means exactly as it reads and there is no hidden meaning. Unless ive missed something :confused:

I dont think the answer to that question will have any bearing on how the rest of your interview goes. The questions are normaly set meaning that they ask almost the exact same questions to every candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Its just an ice breaker

I can tell the interviewer what type of trains Ive been on so its a pretty pointless question (but does waste 30 seconds of possible grilling time).

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suppose that if you arrived to your interview late (baaaaad idea!) They might ask it in a sarcastic sort of way :P But other than that, it sounds innocent enough to me!

ReputationRep:
    You really are thinking too much. Be a natural!

ReputationRep:
    I think that is a simple enough question - it would be unfair to add some form of deep analyses behind it...

ReputationRep:
    I think i know what you mean Library. I read a sarcastic article once about Uni's rejecting people at interviews based on their journey taken, if you read the same article, it was only a joke.

ReputationRep:

It is an ice breaker. You should use it to make a positive impression even if your journey was bad and you only got there just in time. Don't start off moaning and groaning about parking space or late trains. It would be better to make a positive remark in order to start the interwiev on a positive note.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's quite like an ice-beaker. But it is of some significance. If the interviewer is no creative genius, the 1st thing he likes to start with may well be: "Did u have any difficulty getting here?". It's certainly not the moment to show off, but "No" is a conversation terminator. "Yes" then start moaning about how awful ur journey was isn't any better. I myself would go for "No, but it's quite a long journey down here from blah blah blah, but it's really nice for me to blah blah blah!" That does sound pretentious, but c'mon, that's ur diplomatic license!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it is mainly an ice-breaker, also a chance to gauge how nervous you are so they can try and put you at your ease. Actually, I went to an open day at Oriel, Oxford and the admissions person was saying that he always asks about the journey because he genuinely wanted to know. If the candidate had to get up at five in the morning, got stuck in traffic and only arrived 30 seconds ago, then they're not going to be at their best. If you had that kind of experience on the way to the interview, say so, but nicely. Eg - "Well, there were a few jams, but once I got off the motorway, the traffic eased off a bit."

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.