Right sixth form courses for medicine. Watch

dec1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm in year 11 at the moment and wanting to study medicine at university. I have pretty much decided my As options which are : Biology , Chemistry , History. However for my fourth option I am undecided between French , Maths or Politics. Teachers have told me that maths will help me get into medicine but I haven't seen it listed on any university entry requirments , so which would be the best option? I's prefer not to do maths however i'm not bad at it and so would do maths if I had to. I also intend to try and get some work experience with doctors. Thanks for replies.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not ****ing maths!
gina3706
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths isn't needed but is a safe one, however a language would look very good, it all depends on how well you can argue it in your personal statement because if you want to do a year in another country (which you can do on some courses) french would support that. Also, the extra work needed at a level is intense and a subject you don't like will be even harder to put that extra effort into. You wanna be getting an A in this subject, so choose one you are good at and can work on. Work experience is crucial, the earlier you try to get in the better, good luck with your GCSEs and choices
Normandy114
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You've got biology and chemistry, so just pick the one out of Maths/French/Politics that you believe you will get the best grade in and enjoy. I don't think any universities explicitly ask for maths, except some Cambridge colleges - I think Magdalene requires maths but that may be it.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths is fine but never mandatory and will not be preferred over any other pure subject (ie. French).

Do what you will enjoy and do well in, as a pure subject. You will probably get away with Politics as a fourth subject but I suspect most applicants will have 4 subjects from 'band A' - the pure subjects (Sciences, languages, History etc.) where as Politics can occasionally be a bit in-between. Should be fine for the most part though. Lots of work exp and good UKCAT/BMAT will be much more crucial than whether you took Politics or not.
tuesday91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Since you have three solid subjects, I don't think the fourth will have too much bearing on whether they accept you or not, particularly out of those three. It's probably best you take one which you enjoy and are sure you can do well in. Maths is always a well respected subject, languages are increasingly in demand and politics, although maybe not considered quite as 'academic' as the other two (but still a good option in my opinion) will give you some good skills in analysing etc. which I'm sure are required as a doctor.
dec1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Not ****ing maths!

lol , how come not maths ?
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dec1)
lol , how come not maths ?
Because you're not the first person to have been lied to.
felt_monkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh my God, people still actually ask this?
colabottles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This part of the forum should be called 'Medicine (WHICH YOU DON'T NEED A LEVEL MATHS FOR)'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (155)
45.59%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.41%