This discussion is closed.
ben2111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I'd say music was the most pointless.

RE is important because it teaches people to be less ignorant and take other people's beliefs into consideration.

Art is good because rather than being as analyitical as music, it offers a way for anybody to express themselves and be creative.

And PE, well if we didn't have PE at school half of us would be blobs.
Disagreement! Music was the most wonderful subject. Generally, I do not think it is bad to bring kids in contact with all different forms of art. Howelse should they discover things their parents did not teach or show them?
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
key skills.... i walked out of the lesson when they said you had to put pictures in an english essay.

other than that cooking, don't get me wrong if we actually cooked something it would have been fine but out of a whole term we watched videos on industrial processes and digestion.
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Baby development, a chance for all the ****s in my year to sit back and do nothing except apply make-up!! Orange faces, panda eyes the usual mess. Thank God you don't have to take it. You don't learn anything in the first place. Such a fly by class.
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Custard)
Baby development, a chance for all the ****s in my year to sit back and do nothing except apply make-up!! Orange faces, panda eyes the usual mess. Thank God you don't have to take it. You don't learn anything in the first place. Such a fly by class.
Oh yeah and of course P.E, lets make all the girls run in the freezing cold for no real reason other than I like to see people suffer! Great school isn't it!?!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
gotta be music
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
has anyone mentioned general studies yet? they usually do
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know how anybody can say how RE is useless, especially when religion affects so much in today's world. Religion may be out of fashion in England, but it isn't everywhere. That said, I never really enjoyed it until we stopped going over the Christmas story for the 100th freaking time, and got onto the morals and ethics part. That was seriously interesting.

The most useless subjects I've ever done were probably GCSE textiles, not that I wasn't proud of my A grade. I deserved that for the amount of time I spent after school working on that stupid denim skirt. I still can't sew in a straight line though.

And AS Citizenship, that seemed pretty pointless to me.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
KEY SKILLS!
I am key skills rebel and have forced everybody in my class not to do them (they are all 16 and I'm 18) because they are filled with lies that Universities take them as much as General Studies, I wrote a list of the places that do on the board and we revolted, and our tutor helped us. We all have an extra hours in bed in our weeks heeh
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
KEY SKILLS!
I am key skills rebel and have forced everybody in my class not to do them (they are all 16 and I'm 18) because they are filled with lies that Universities take them as much as General Studies, I wrote a list of the places that do on the board and we revolted, and our tutor helped us. We all have an extra hours in bed in our weeks heeh
I remember the only key skills lesson I went to, I had a B in GCSE IT so instead of a month we would have to do it for a year and our first lesson was about "Now to move the little arrow on the screen, we first must put our hands on the mouse" and showed us what a mouse was by holding up an unplugged one....
oh the condescendence of it all
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
KEY SKILLS!
My friends's who've done key skills didn't seem very impressed with it. They kept threating to make us do it, but they never did...
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
has anyone mentioned general studies yet? they usually do
Yeh, I mentioned it. Biggest waste of time ever. We only had to do it up to AS at my school. Thank god. I would have quit it anyway.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
Disagreement! Music was the most wonderful subject. Generally, I do not think it is bad to bring kids in contact with all different forms of art. Howelse should they discover things their parents did not teach or show them?
Well people didn't tend to respect music that much.

It's ok. I'm not saying it's really pointless. Just the most pointless.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
i was reading in the sunday paper last week that some artist has filled up some black binliners and arranged them in a pile and it sold for £80,000 i almost screamed with frustration!!
"my bedroom is art - the untidiness reflects dementia in society today"

Unfortunately, my art teacher wouldnt accept it
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I'd say music was the most pointless.

RE is important because it teaches people to be less ignorant and take other people's beliefs into consideration.

Art is good because rather than being as analyitical as music, it offers a way for anybody to express themselves and be creative.

And PE, well if we didn't have PE at school half of us would be blobs.
agreed on RE and PE, but art and music are equally as useless. You cant teach talent, and cant be properly graded, as it is subjective.

A talented artist/musician does not necessarily conform, yet to get good grades in music/art, that is exactly what you have to do. pointless!
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think music is more useful than art. you have to be tought how to read sheet music et al. but you dont have to be taught how to draw.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i think music is more useful than art. you have to be tought how to read sheet music et al. but you dont have to be taught how to draw.
there are some things you can be tought to draw better, eg perspective or drawing simple shapes.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
we never got taught how to read music at school though art is pretty pointless too (even though I did it for AS) lol
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
there are some things you can be tought to draw better, eg perspective or drawing simple shapes.
when was the last time you saw an artist using perspectuive? these days any old **** (literally) is passed off as art.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
when was the last time you saw an artist using perspectuive? these days any old **** (literally) is passed off as art.
you may be surprised to learn that some artists still draw
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
you may be surprised to learn that some artists still draw
really? :eek: *shock horror* :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads