Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it really worth doing a degree in media i am not 100% sure of what part of media i plan to aim for but with how hard it is to get a basic job would it not be a hell of a lot harder to get a job in tv production/animation and so on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekay1)
    Is it really worth doing a degree in media i am not 100% sure of what part of media i plan to aim for but with how hard it is to get a basic job would it not be a hell of a lot harder to get a job in tv production/animation and so on
    I do Media A-level, so I'm not one of these pricks on here who are like 'ZOMG SOFT SUBJECT!'....but honestly- you're no good doing a Media degree.

There are two ways into TV. Firstly, the more vocational route, through an apprenticeship. The BBC offers them, and local newspapers would as well. You'd need to look now before they go quick.

The 'academic' route is to do a normal, broad degree. Something like English, History, Languages and try get on grad schemes through that, most people in the media have an English degree anyway. Then if you want to hone your skills, you can always do an MA in Film and TV Production. My friend just did his at Bristol and he's working on Meryl Streep's new film- and you get to make cool stuff like the video in my sig

Hopes this helps, I would strongly advise you not to do a undergrad degree in Media though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing with the amount of media students there are in relation to the amount of jobs there are, competition is fierce.
    It's more about skill & creativity, and being good at what you do.

I love the idea of being in TV production, but I've had to take a more realistic point of view and go for degrees in Advertising & Marketing. If you're not sure which area you want to go in to, do a 'with pathways' degree. This way you can choose which direction you go into in your 2nd year. DMU offer this course with Media

The entertainment industry will always need people. A media degree can do a lot more than just media. It shows your ability to think creatively & be analytical.

In short, only you can decide whether its worth it or not. Only you know what you're interested in. There will be job opportunities for you, it's just how far you're willing to go to go get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    I do Media A-level, so I'm not one of these pricks on here who are like 'ZOMG SOFT SUBJECT!'....but honestly- you're no good doing a Media degree.

There are two ways into TV. Firstly, the more vocational route, through an apprenticeship. The BBC offers them, and local newspapers would as well. You'd need to look now before they go quick.

The 'academic' route is to do a normal, broad degree. Something like English, History, Languages and try get on grad schemes through that, most people in the media have an English degree anyway. Then if you want to hone your skills, you can always do an MA in Film and TV Production. My friend just did his at Bristol and he's working on Meryl Streep's new film- and you get to make cool stuff like the video in my sig

Hopes this helps, I would strongly advise you not to do a undergrad degree in Media though.
    (Original post by Racheld25)
    I'm guessing with the amount of media students there are in relation to the amount of jobs there are, competition is fierce.
    It's more about skill & creativity, and being good at what you do.

I love the idea of being in TV production, but I've had to take a more realistic point of view and go for degrees in Advertising & Marketing. If you're not sure which area you want to go in to, do a 'with pathways' degree. This way you can choose which direction you go into in your 2nd year. DMU offer this course with Media

The entertainment industry will always need people. A media degree can do a lot more than just media. It shows your ability to think creatively & be analytical.

In short, only you can decide whether its worth it or not. Only you know what you're interested in. There will be job opportunities for you, it's just how far you're willing to go to go get them.

Sorry i should of mentioned this at the start ive just been accepted on a media access course but am hoping to do a business and economics degree at bournemouth but as they are the only uni that will accept me on a media access if i dont get on that media is kinda my only option

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i should of mentioned this at the start ive just been accepted on a media access course but am hoping to do a business and economics degree at bournemouth but as they are the only uni that will accept me on a media access if i dont get on that media is kinda my only option
    That was completely different to what you insinuated...

So what is your question?

ReputationRep:
    That was completely different to what you insinuated...

So what is your question?
    if im wasting my time i suppose and if i do media what would be the best route to take i enjoy most parts of media so am open to going for most aspects of it

ReputationRep:
    if im wasting my time i suppose and if i do media what would be the best route to take i enjoy most parts of media so am open to going for most aspects of it
    Look at my original post. A media access course is fine, but don't do an undergrad in it. If you find it hard to get on a straight English course try these combinations- they should accept a Media access.

English + Communications
    English + Journalism
    English + Film Studies
    English + Broadcasting

ReputationRep:
    Look at my original post. A media access course is fine, but don't do an undergrad in it. If you find it hard to get on a straight English course try these combinations- they should accept a Media access.

English + Communications
    English + Journalism
    English + Film Studies
    English + Broadcasting
    perfect answer thanks will give rep once ive got some to give lol

ReputationRep:
    perfect answer thanks will give rep once ive got some to give lol
    I'll PM you some links.

ReputationRep:
    In Public Relations the employment rate is 100%, because you can go in almost any domain, such as financial PR which is connected very much to economics and banking, consumer PR which is connected to marketing and advertising, yo can go into politcs... all the companies need a marketing communications department, so you can basically find a job almost anywhere... especially in London, where are probably the best paid ones, most certainly financial PR.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.