are you scared of AIDS? Watch

noobynoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
not a cheery subject but it's good to talk about these things i think.

apparently about 1 in 1000 people in UK are HIV positive. So chances are, if you have 1000 friends on facebook one of them has it. But I've never met anyone who has it. Mind you I don't know that many people. Is it really such a risk for our age group or has it been over hyped?

Call me naiive but surely if you are hetrosexual, don't share needles and don't spend a lot of time in Africa or Hati then you're pretty unlikely to catch it.

It must also be quite hard to catch since otherwise it would have spread all round the UK seeing as how promiscuous the english are perceived to be.

Do you think we have overreacted to the fear of HIV in this country or is it a time bomb waiting to happen? I am not sure.
precious7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by noobynoo)

apparently about 1 in 1000 people in UK are HIV positive. So chances are, if you have 1000 friends on facebook one of them has it. But I've never met anyone who has it. Mind you I don't know that many people. Is it really such a risk for our age group or has it been over hyped?

Call me naiive but surely if you are hetrosexual, don't share needles and don't spend a lot of time in Africa or Hati then you're pretty unlikely to catch it.
It must also be quite hard to catch since otherwise it would have spread all round the UK seeing as how promiscuous the english are perceived to be.

Do you think we have overreacted to the fear of HIV in this country or is it a time bomb waiting to happen? I am not sure.

This is very ignorant of you OP, not everyone in africa is HIV positive mate. i hate it when people like you make up such stupid statements
Bosch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://images.wikia.com/southpark/im...hasAides03.jpg

OH GOD!! KEEP THEM AWAY!!
noobynoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by precious7)
everyone in africa is HIV positive
good job i didn't say that then isn't it.
Pink Bullets
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So chances are, if you have 1000 friends on facebook one of them has it.
Errr no. It's not evenly distributed, lol.

But I've never met anyone who has it.
You seem pretty confident in your knowledge of the health of everyone you've ever met.
Sovietpride
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sure, not everyone in Africa is HIV+, but its a heck of a lot more likely you'll get it there than here. (assuming OP means sleeping around n stuff).

Put it this way.

The government spends money on awareness so people are less likely to catch it. Since HAART costs in the region of $10-15,000 a year (website states this figure in $, not £, but i presume the cost would be the same in britain anyway), it's very much in their interest to prevent it than treat it...
warrenpenalver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just because its 1 in 1000 doesnt mean you can shag hundreds of people unprotected and youll be fine.

There are certain risk groups in the UK for HIV including immigrants from certain parts of the world, injecting drug users, prostitutes, homosexuals and increasingly young people and old people as they are the risk groups for unprotected sex.

if you shag the kind of woman (or men) who dont protect themselves then chances are the kind of people they shagged are the same and dont take care and hence more risk of somewhere in the chain of partners someone having HIV and it being spread on.

but on the flip side if you are careful about your partners then the risk is going to be very very much less.

I dont think we have HIV paranoia at all. You just have to look at some african countrys with HIV knocking on 25% infected population to see how wrong it could go if people did nothing.

An example of how the risk rate can rise is the gay population. A study in brighton found 1 in 7 was infected.
emeritus2011
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by noobynoo)

kill yourself!
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by precious7)
This is very ignorant of you OP, not everyone in africa is HIV positive mate. i hate it when people like you make up such stupid statements
Africa has some of the highest rates of HIV in the world, its not a stupid statement.

To quote a friend of mine from south africa "to have unprotected sex with someone in south africa is like playing russian roulette with five barrels loaded"

and he never said that every person in Africa has it.

Anyway i know people who are HIV positive but it doesnt bother me, they are men so i wont be having sex with them and it doesnt make them any less of a person in my eyes.

OP the chances of you catching HIV during penile-vaginal sex with a condom are remote so i wouldnt worry unduly about it
noobynoo
Rep:
?
Sorry to anyone who thought I was being xenophobic to Africa. I was just looking at the facts such as this map:

http://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress...ap_adults1.jpg

Sure, it is mainly southern Africa so not all Africa.
cjonoc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
76% of the HIV population are hetrosexual! so eff off all you people who go on about gay people having AIDS
cjonoc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
transmission rates are circa 1%
diamondsky99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cjonoc)
76% of the HIV population are hetrosexual! so eff off all you people who go on about gay people having AIDS
Yes, however what people are trying to point out is there are high-risk groups. "Men who have sex with men" make up a much smaller proportion of the population than heterosexuals, yet they make up a disproportionate amount of those who are HIV positive. Therefore in the UK a randomly picked gay man is more likely to be HIV positive than a randomly picked straight man.

There's no point taking risks though - so "don't be silly... wrap your willy!"
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Myself no I'm not worried about AIDS or HIV. When you've been with somebody for 10 years in a solid relationship, things like that just tend not to really cross my mind.

As for whether people in this country are overly-scared of AIDS or not, tbh I wouldn't really know, because I've never discussed it with many people so I don't know whether it goes through the minds of many people or not.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads