Why can we not discuss drugs? Watch

James4d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In an age where illegal drugs are almost as easy to obtain as legal ones (and almost as popular) it is worth discussing. Many adolescences on this forum will consider taking an illegal substance at some point in their life and what better place to discuss causes, effects, risks, and dangers, than on a student forum?

The sticky says we may not create a "Thread that discuss illegal activity, for example threads on drug-taking or underage sex".

Yet we have plenty of threads discussing rape, murder, general crime (not anecdotes, just discussions, usually regarding punishment) so where is the line drawn?

Is it because we may glorify or convince people on here to try drugs? If they are convinced by an anonymous person on the internet, they will have been convinced by anyone they meet in real life. This would just be a useful place to discuss different effects and dangers of drugs, and personal experiences from people on the forum could be very helpful.
123-ABC
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agree, alot of students smoke weed for fun.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're only allowed to say nice things on TSR...

In other words if somethings negative and you want to talk honestly about it you can't, well you can but you'll just get warned.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do agree.
But i guess, it may be hard to moderate, and thus may lead to people talking about the 'good' things about drugs, how to get them , if theya re cheap etc.. which all.. in good honesty.. shouldn't be talked about in front of people who havent had much experience. We dont want some random kid learning how cheap, easy to buy and exciting cocaine (for a example) is.

But ya know, it's TSR.. the place where people seem to think weed will kill you.. so i won't expect much.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
I think it's a stupid rule because this is the internet. Anyone with half a brain can find this stuff out so it's not like this rule is protecting anyone.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Been through this before :sigh:
T'archer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think if people use it right, this forum is ideal to talk about drugs in a informal but informative way. But, people do disuse it and any forums on drugs do usually end up with glorification or users pretending to have done something they havn't. In that sense I don;t think it will work, but there are other places such as bbc switch will can/will help people if they desire it.
Spetznaaz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We were always allowed to talk about drugs, there were bare threads, when did this change?

Edit - I just realised the thread from earlier has gone... wtf?

Since when has it been a crime to talk about drugs?

Isn't franks moto 'drugs are illegal, talking about themk isn't'

I mean seriously wtf, are the people in charge afraid that someone may find out some truth's about drugs on here... maybe find out a lot of the **** they have been told is lies.. Take a look at the drug fact file on here it's a joke.
James4d
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Been through this before :sigh:

Awesome. Guess I missed that thread. Want to contribute?
KieranDJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spetznaaz)
there were bare threads
bare threads people! Bare threads!
n00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by James4d)
The sticky says we may not create a "Thread that discuss illegal activity, for example threads on drug-taking or underage sex".
Drug-taking isn't illegal especially if you make use of a mandrill.

http://www.ruethedayblog.com/wp-cont...41-363x500.jpg
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Spetznaaz)
We were always allowed to talk about drugs, there were bare threads, when did this change?

Edit - I just realised the thread from earlier has gone... wtf?

Since when has it been a crime to talk about drugs?

Isn't franks moto 'drugs are illegal, talking about themk isn't'

I mean seriously wtf, are the people in charge afraid that someone may find out some truth's about drugs on here... maybe find out a lot of the **** they have been told is lies.. Take a look at the drug fact file on here it's a joke.
Fashionably late, just discovered this thread

Look at some of the rules that I've never seen enforced:

"Do not post threads that are explicit, erotic, titillating or vulgar.
Do not post replies that are obscene, offensive, abusive or harassing.
Threads where the last reply was over three months ago should not be resurrected. It is extremely confusing".

"The following types of posts are not considered to be acceptable:
Posts which are not relevant to the discussion
Posts which are not a piece of constructive advice or discussion
Posts which encourage or are part of a off topic conversation
Posts which are comprised of a single smiley or image with the exception of the ditto smiley which may be used when relevant to the thread.
Posts which make jokes about or try to belittle the problems being mentioned in the thread
Posts which are aimed at provoking an argument
Posts which aim to be offensive to other members"

None of those are enforced :lol:

"Thread that discuss illegal activity, for example threads on drug-taking or underage sex, will be deleted in almost every case."

"Sex Threads
People want to talk about it, naturally, but this isn't sex chat. We don't want hints, tips, or position talk. To quote lessthanthree "If you want to tell people about the ins and outs of how you banged some chick/guy, subscribe and go wild in the sex thread there. Not here. I don't mind sensible questions regarding morals, contraception or stuff like that...but let's not get in to "do u leik top or bottom lolololz!!11" I don't care how big your penis is, call a hotline."�""

"Exposing a dupe account or an anonymous poster (either correctly or incorrectly guessing) will receive 5 warning points."

Seems like half the rules set out for the H&R forum aren't enforced, and I'm assuming the reason for that being that if they were, there wouldn't be any posts

Sucks they're deleting the drug ones though.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well there are threads on underage sex every five minutes so clearly nobody reads the rules!
pappu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Smoke weed erriday
Cooljack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah it's pretty stupid. though i saw an incredably stupid post in the MMU sub forum where someone asked "Do people smoke weed at MMU?" and some massive idiot replied:

"yo man am mvin 2 uni nxt year, startin growing my own blueberry proper high strain good stuf, so keep a lookout" then he posted his phonenumber.

honestly though if you want to talk about drugs without being judged or having to listen to idiot's yabber on go to http://bluelight.ru/, most people are pretty clueless on here
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are always threads about weed though :erm: Along the lines of 'have you smoked weed', 'why haven't you smoked weed', 'do people smoke weed a X university' etc
Sun Ra and his Arkestra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never seen a thread about the really interesting drugs, like DMT and Mescaline. Which I would strongly argue ARE beneficial.
The Dynamic Uno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by James4d)

Yet we have plenty of threads discussing rape, murder, general crime (not anecdotes, just discussions, usually regarding punishment) so where is the line drawn?
Exactly it's just fudging stupid ain't it. You know what else is stupid? Not being able to motherfudging swear on a site where the majority of people are over 15+. I can understand censorship of swearing if this was a Miley Cyrus fan forum but it ain't and the fact there is a swear filter is incredibly stupid to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads