The Student Room Group

Interview at Greggs on Saturday...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
I just go on about VAT with them and how we would have to charge... even though they probably don't even know what it is and would bitch if we did! Ahhh and we havent got a card machine so they call us outdated so i'm just like as long as moneys still printed i'm pretty sure its still gonna be used :biggrin:

I'm confused about the VAT thing. We served hot food... or are you talking about something else??
Reply 61
Original post by ily_em
I'm confused about the VAT thing. We served hot food... or are you talking about something else??

We serve freshly baked food. Its just that most people think the counter keeps the food hot. It is hot when its out the oven buts its just not kept hot.

Original post by Bobsyourteapots
I just go on about VAT with them and how we would have to charge... even though they probably don't even know what it is and would bitch if we did! Ahhh and we havent got a card machine so they call us outdated so i'm just like as long as moneys still printed i'm pretty sure its still gonna be used :biggrin:

Yeah and then they run to the cash machine whilst your left with 2 carrier bags and £10 worth of stuff on your till.

It always makes me smile at my shop when the labels arent changed round so it says Belgian Buns are cornflake cakes etc and people still demand a cornflake cake when there clearly isnt anything with cornflakes there
Reply 62
Original post by Alans Amp
We serve freshly baked food. Its just that most people think the counter keeps the food hot. It is hot when its out the oven buts its just not kept hot.

Oh I see... what's it got to do with VAT though? Yeh the shop I worked in didn't keep the food warm either, but some of the older shops do (working in Winchester for the day I kept forgetting the counter was hot, leaving the tongs in the counter than burning my hand -_-)
Reply 63
Original post by ily_em
Oh I see... what's it got to do with VAT though? Yeh the shop I worked in didn't keep the food warm either, but some of the older shops do (working in Winchester for the day I kept forgetting the counter was hot, leaving the tongs in the counter than burning my hand -_-)

Im not totally sure on exact details but its something like VAT isnt charged on fresh foods or baked foods, whilst it is if the food is sold as being a hot product
Original post by ily_em

If you eat in or eat 'hot' food you have to charge VAT or something like that. And as our sausage rolls have caused mass outrage by going up 2p in a few months (1p at a time) I don't think they could handle 20% vat on top of that lol
Original post by Alans Amp

Yeah and then they run to the cash machine whilst your left with 2 carrier bags and £10 worth of stuff on your till.

It always makes me smile at my shop when the labels arent changed round so it says Belgian Buns are cornflake cakes etc and people still demand a cornflake cake when there clearly isnt anything with cornflakes there

I hate it when they don't come back! and just about when I'm asking senior sales for a void all, they come just in the nick of time :biggrin:
Oh the labels are the best thing. I think it was a tuna baguette that magically became ploughmans the other day. I love simply explaining we need to clean the counters and put the food somewhere else!
This is making me more and more excited for my stupidly long shift on saturday! :smile:
I did have an interview with greggs before, and I seemed to do OK besides being extremely nervous and having to be told to relax :o:

They didn't specify but I think I know why I didn't get it... Basically I had been offered a casual stewarding position at the local conference centre and was convinced that I could do both jobs. I didn't manage to convince the manager interviewing me though and the conference centre never did send me my shifts for the month of November at the start of October like they promised and I ended up starting a job elsewhere mid October... (I actually think they realised on the training day that they had taken on way too many people as there were a LOT of people there!)... I'm unhappy in my current position due to my hours being all over the place and not reliable enough to live off of, so that's why I re applied at greggs but how do I get this across to them in a positive way?

[Interview is tomorrow afternoon]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by aleathiel
I did have an interview with greggs before, and I seemed to do OK besides being extremely nervous and having to be told to relax :o:

They didn't specify but I think I know why I didn't get it... Basically I had been offered a casual stewarding position at the local conference centre and was convinced that I could do both jobs. I didn't manage to convince the manager interviewing me though and the conference centre never did send me my shifts for the month of November at the start of October like they promised and I ended up starting a job elsewhere mid October... (I actually think they realised on the training day that they had taken on way too many people as there were a LOT of people there!)... I'm unhappy in my current position due to my hours being all over the place and not reliable enough to live off of, so that's why I re applied at greggs but how do I get this across to them in a positive way?

[Interview is tomorrow afternoon]

Eep, I don't know, sorry. :frown: But good luck!
Original post by alabelle
Eep, I don't know, sorry. :frown: But good luck!

Interview seemed to go pretty well, just have to wait now :s:

She said it would be up to a week... How long do they tend to take though, if it's a yes?

She also did mention the manager of the one I'll actually be working at if I get it, had been on the phone to her literally before she saw me asking if she had hired anyone for him yet :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
Interview seemed to go pretty well, just have to wait now :s:

She said it would be up to a week... How long do they tend to take though, if it's a yes?

She also did mention the manager of the one I'll actually be working at if I get it, had been on the phone to her literally before she saw me asking if she had hired anyone for him yet :p:

Well she told me it would be up to a week as well, but I had my interview on Saturday and heard back on Monday. Good luck!
Well she told me it would be up to a week as well, but I had my interview on Saturday and heard back on Monday. Good luck!

Yey I was offered the job :biggrin: and accepted! Just got the email through with the details and the pay is less than what I was told at interview.... This isn't the first time it's happened and I guess the good thing is I'm finding out now rather than when I start but has it happened to anyone else?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 73
Yey I was offered the job :biggrin: and accepted! Just got the email through with the details and the pay is less than what I was told at interview.... This isn't the first time it's happened and I guess the good thing is I'm finding out now rather than when I start but has it happened to anyone else?

Yay! Congrats!
And I'm not sure. :s-smilie: I've had most of my details and stuff but even on the contract the part where the wage would normally go is blank. I guess I won't know until I start.
Reply 74

My pay did go up after the first few months there, maybe the manager told you what your 'proper' wage would be but you're starting on lower in your probationary period? Idk
Yay! Congrats!
And I'm not sure. :s-smilie: I've had most of my details and stuff but even on the contract the part where the wage would normally go is blank. I guess I won't know until I start.

Have you had your induction yet? Mine is the 15th of April in Crawley!

I'm handing in my notice tomorrow, was going to wait and see the outcome of the supervisor interviews I just had where I work, but they're making us wait an extra week now for a decision! Plus I think I'll enjoy it at Greggs more!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76

Have you had your induction yet? Mine is the 15th of April in Crawley!

I'm handing in my notice tomorrow, was going to wait and see the outcome of the supervisor interviews I just had where I work, but they're making us wait an extra week now for a decision! Plus I think I'll enjoy it at Greggs more!

I've just got back from my induction actually, haha... it went well. :smile:
I got my hours and stuff as well, so I start "properly" next week on Saturday, 11am-3pm.
Reply 77
What is the current uniform at Greggs, I have just got a job, do you still have to wear a really long apron?
Reply 78
Original post by xxxabixxx
What is the current uniform at Greggs, I have just got a job, do you still have to wear a really long apron?

I think it varies, but I haven't seen mine yet anyway. :smile:
Original post by xxxabixxx

We have a choice of 3 aprons:

Long halter neck
Tabard
Half waist apron

A choice of either a shirt or polo t-shirt.

And a choice of either a skirt or trousers.

The entire uniform is Navy.

If you have just got a job with Greggs they will ask you, which you prefer.

Started working for Greggs on Monday and loving it so far, the staff at the shop I'm currently based in are very welcoming :smile:

And with weekly pay you really can't go wrong :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending