Which AS should I drop? Watch

S_123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I take Eng Lit, Geog, Spanish and Philosophy of Religion and Ethics

I have to make my decision this week on which subject I want to drop next year. I'm definitely carrying on with my babies Eng Lit and Geog I am predicted 4 As and am hoping to apply to Oxbridge if I get these grades (that could form another thread altogether).

• Reasons to drop RS:
  • I always planned to when I took it
  • Spanish may give me better job prospects (is this true - I'm looking to go into journalism or marketing or even law or something like that?)
  • I may not remember the Spanish I have learnt this year and it seems like a waste of a subject then (do you remember the language you studied at AS?)
  • Spanish is a 'harder'/more traditional subject (is that true?)
  • Spanish will give me skills and make me more employable
  • Spanish speaking is fun and I'd love to do one of those courses where your 3rd year is abroad
  • I like travel (Spanish speaking places)
  • The extra reading can be quite boring

Reasons to drop Spanish:
  • I feel bad at it and don't think I'll get an A this year whereas I find RS easier
  • Unconfident with it as you can never finish learning a language
  • Completely new staff this year that don't particularly work well with (one who is okay and one who is rubbish) and both have been in & out of hospital etc so had 5/6 teachers over the course. However, my GCSE teacher is returning from maternity leave next year and she is amazing
  • Lack of organisation (due to so many different teachers) - RS is very organised
  • On the head girl team next year so will be busy to do extra reading (I'm apparently supposed to be doing 30mins everyday? I've done like 5mins per month?)
  • Cba to put effort into learning vocab, etc everyday
  • I don't particularly like it

There are other things for both but I can't remember at this moment.

Can any of you help me? I know that it is my decision in the end and my final decision is made after I get my AS results but I have to hand in my options form this week. I'll appreciate any advice Thanks!

TL;DR Which should I drop: Spanish or Philosophy of Religion and Ethics? Haven't enjoyed Spanish this year but potential of it getting better next year but feel safer taking RS (learning and grades wise) and enjoy it now and probably will next year.
S_123
Rep:
?
Anyone?
radardetector
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm guessing your AS results will tell you the answer.
Kat_Heine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
keeping Spanish might get you further in the future?
geminibubblegum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
had a talk from a woman in a lawfirm who said she spent her life looking for spanish/portugese speaking lawyers

food for thought?
Banoffeepie16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're aiming for Oxbridge, Spanish is a perfect subject to continue as it proves you can cope with tougher, traditional subjects, plus a language is great.
However if you 'cba' to learn vocab... maybe it won't be worth it.

:cookie:
don'tyouremember?
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i'd drop spanish.. but only because i looove phil&ethics
Rogercbinboy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say Spanish, mainly due to "I may not remember the Spanish I have learnt this year and it seems like a waste of a subject", "Spanish speaking is fun and I'd love to do one of those courses where your 3rd year is abroad" and "Spanish will give me skills and make me more employable".
jthlm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At the end of the day, it's your decision and you should go with your gut instinct about which subject you enjoy more and will be more motivated to study for the next year. From what you've said, I think you should drop RS... Spanish is such a useful subject and is far more valuable, and could be an attractive part of your Oxbridge application. I'm currently taking Spanish A2 and I love it, it's hard and takes a lot of work but it's worthwhile when you get to that point where you are conversing wholly in another language and understanding others. It's actually amazing some of the disadvantages you mentioned about Spanish are not really to do with the subject itself, like the fact you can't be bothered to put in that extra time for reading whatever and you have extra head girl duties or something... But you wanna go to Oxbridge? Remember, it's not all about the prestige: the work load will be immense, so you should know what you're getting yourself in for. If you wanna get good results, you have to put in the effort, whatever the subject Just choose whatever you enjoy and will be most prepared to work hard at, that's the most important thing.
fretter778
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you 'cba' learning vocab and don't particularly like it then it's pretty much a no brainer. Drop Spanish. No point in doing a subject you can't be bothered with. Terrible waste though really. It's much more valuable than RS.

I guess your AS results will probably help make you decide though.
S_123
Rep:
?
Ah I wish I'd seen all these last night I've handed in my form saying I'm dropping Spanish but I'm not so sure now. I'm sure that if I put in the work, I could do it. I think I'll just have to see how my AS levels go as I really don't feel confident about Spanish at the minute. Thank you so much for answering!
multiplexing-gamer
Report 7 years ago
I'd say drop spanish
asmjffdd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you have to drop one -Im coping with four and General Studies. If your up for A's then Im sure you'd cope. This would enhance your chances of interview at Oxbridge. Do you start the syllabus directly after your As's ie June/July? Couldnt you try four and if it gets too much then drop one in Septmeber after your results.
Tateco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely Spanish, keeping it will not only give you an edge over other applicants to universities, but an edge over other applicants when applying for jobs. Employers love bi-lingual candidates as you never know when having someone that can speak the language may be useful.

To improve your chances for your future career as well as your university application; keep Spanish.
Tateco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S_123)
Ah I wish I'd seen all these last night I've handed in my form saying I'm dropping Spanish but I'm not so sure now. I'm sure that if I put in the work, I could do it. I think I'll just have to see how my AS levels go as I really don't feel confident about Spanish at the minute. Thank you so much for answering!
Read my above post and go and tell them you've changed your mind. It's ridiculous they want to know what you're dropping now, we don't have to choose which to drop until we've done 2 months of the A2 course after our summer exams.
S_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by tateco)
Read my above post and go and tell them you've changed your mind. It's ridiculous they want to know what you're dropping now, we don't have to choose which to drop until we've done 2 months of the A2 course after our summer exams.
We are allowed to change our minds after we get our AS grades. I thought most people here would say RS. Ahh it's frustrating because it's more interesting but Spanish could be good if I didn't feel so rubbish at it all the time
Nick-ee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You said you don't like Spanish and you can't be bothered with it. Your A level result will most likely reflect this. It doesn't matter how valuable Spanish is, if you flunk it it's useless. Drop Spanish.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise