Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be looking for work after the exams in the summer. Right basically I have....

GCSE's:-

Information Communication Technology - A
    Mathematics - B
    Additional Science - B
    Core Science - C
    English - C
    Catering - C
    History - C
    Religious Studies (Short Course) - C

A/S Levels:-

Business Studies - D

This summer im sitting the A2 part of my A-Levels:-

Biology (Already got a C in the A/S)
    ICT (Already got a C in the A/S)

ReputationRep:
    to be honest is quite hard to get a decent job without a degree so concentrate on passing your alevels and getting your degree then by the time you finish you may have a clearer idea on what you wanna do....job-wise....otherwise if you enter the job market now you'd most likely work in tesco's and others of that sort and you could work your way up but thats just time-consuming (but cheaper if you take into the account of the cost of a degree).....however if you are lucky their are apprentiships (sorry can't spell) out there you can get into.

But its very very hard to determine what you wanna do with just a-levels as they are quite generic, i mean theres people on my course (economics) who did things like chemistry and physics at a-level....i've changed my career path like a million times....

ReputationRep:
    Im not going to university. Dont have the patience to spend another 3 or 4 years in education i just dont have it in me. Also i don't fancy being in debt. So after my a-levels im aiming to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xWELSHxBOIx)
    I'm gonna be looking for work after the exams in the summer. Right basically I have....

GCSE's:-

Information Communication Technology - A
    Mathematics - B
    Additional Science - B
    Core Science - C
    English - C
    Catering - C
    History - C
    Religious Studies (Short Course) - C

A/S Levels:-

Business Studies - D

This summer im sitting the A2 part of my A-Levels:-

Biology (Already got a C in the A/S)
    ICT (Already got a C in the A/S)
    Most retail jobs don't care.
    I think you're best of being an apprentice. £90 per week.
    Do something in ICT, there are plenty of apprentices needed for that. It's a good way to start on a career ladder.

ReputationRep:
    What about previous work experience? It's more important than what grades you have or haven't got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What about previous work experience? It's more important than what grades you have or haven't got.
    Only work experience was what i did back in year 10, and that was as a catering assistant at the local civic center.

ReputationRep:
    Only work experience was what i did back in year 10, and that was as a catering assistant at the local civic center.
    In which case I'd strongly advocate just going for whatever job you can get. Shops, supermarkets, fast food.... Anything to start you on the ladder.
    While it'd be nice to walk into a comfortably paying job in an industry you like, we all know that that's rarely possible - and even less so nowadays. Get yourself a 'basic' job and then spend a bit longer looking for something you want to do, all the while earning money and having something else to pad out a CV with.

ReputationRep:
    Preferably id like to work in a store like GAME perhaps or other retail stores. I'm happy to work my up the ladder.

ReputationRep:
    Preferably id like to work in a store like GAME perhaps or other retail stores. I'm happy to work my up the ladder.
    It looks like you have some interests in IT and Gaming. Use those computer skills to secure entry jobs is IT related retail or even customer support.

Choose something your interested in. It is easier to convince a hiring manager you want to work there if you are interested in what they do. That could be gaming, computers or whatever really.

Kind Regards,
    careerjourney

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.