Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently at my University there is a petition being run by the Faculty Reps to try to increase the number of schools which provide recordings of the lectures for each module. There has been much debate about the pros and cons of doing so, and I was just wondering what the views are, of people on TSR.

Do you think, that recorded lectures are a useful study tool to aid one's studies after attending lectures, or do you think that they will cause major attendance issues?
    If your lectures were all recorded, would you attend?

Personally, I am all for the recordings because I have a number of sets of notes where the lecturer did not provide any slideshows or anything like that, where it was difficult to get notes on everything which was said. In these cases, I am missing elements of the lecture which I could have gained if I had been able to re-listen to the lecture at my own leisure. I am sure that some people would see it as a reason to not attend the lecture, however the schools at my University which have implemented this system already, reported that they have not seen a significant drop in attendance numbers. That said, I also understand that it would cause dissonance whereby one half of my mind would be telling me to stay in bed/to avoid the rain/to not go because I feel a little under the weather, but at the same time, I am paying a great deal of money to be at University and therefore should be making the most out of it!

What do you think?

(Sorry if this has been done before, I did a quick search but couldn't see a strictly related topic)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    People won't listen to them. There is a proven correlation between attendance and results.

Those who do should get themselves a dictaphone - most lecturers are happy to have you record them (provided you don't sell it or whatever :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Some people would actually make use of them yeah, but I reckon over time more would see it as a valid reason not to attend lectures. Personally I'd be all for it, especially as I'll be taking language modules and classes will be given in Spanish, so recordings will be a great help I imagine

ReputationRep:
    Recorded lectures are cool. Only if you actually have an interest in the subject ofc.
    http://academicearth.org/

ReputationRep:
    No one would turn up to lectures. Take my Transport Studies lectures, they're INCREDIBLY boring. We have two lecturers, one guy gives printed notes the other doesn't. For the guy that does there are only about 5 people who attend the lecture as oppose to 40-50 for the other guy...

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, personally I find lectures a bit useless.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Bad idea. A lot of people don't even turn up to lectures because the powerpoints go on the internet. If they put the actual lecture up then hardly anyone would turn up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    On the point of missing certain points in note-taking, I tend to do the reading beforehand so I can get a good overview of the lecture, make notes from the reading and then attend the lecture. Essentially, you go into the lecture with substantial notes and a understanding of the topic, you can then just supplement your own notes with the points of the lecturer. This way you don't miss vast amounts of notes when trying to note down everything the lecturer is saying.
    I'm not entirely sure what subject you actually study so forgive me for making assumptions here! The lecturer in particular that I was talking about in my OP, was one of my Literature lecturers. I fully agree with your point about if you have done the reading before the lecture then it shouldn't be an issue - this is the way I go about my lectures in the Wild Modules I have taken this year in Psychology and Forensic Science as, like you say, it means you don't need to write everything down etc. However, for my literature lectures, regardless of having done the reading and also background research into the author/context etc, a lot of the lecture is based on personal interpretation of a text by the lecturer, as well as contextual details etc. Whilst pre-reading allows you to understand what they are talking about better, if you miss an interpretation they have given, it is unlikely you will pick it up again!

Obviously, this is not the case for most subjects though, and something I have experienced myself, so I fully understand where you are coming from with your point! I just wanted to clarify my situation to suggest that in some cases it would still be useful to have them recorded regardless of the amount of preparation that has been done etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    Currently at my University there is a petition being run by the Faculty Reps to try to increase the number of schools which provide recordings of the lectures for each module. There has been much debate about the pros and cons of doing so, and I was just wondering what the views are, of people on TSR.

Do you think, that recorded lectures are a useful study tool to aid one's studies after attending lectures, or do you think that they will cause major attendance issues?
    If your lectures were all recorded, would you attend?

Personally, I am all for the recordings because I have a number of sets of notes where the lecturer did not provide any slideshows or anything like that, where it was difficult to get notes on everything which was said. In these cases, I am missing elements of the lecture which I could have gained if I had been able to re-listen to the lecture at my own leisure. I am sure that some people would see it as a reason to not attend the lecture, however the schools at my University which have implemented this system already, reported that they have not seen a significant drop in attendance numbers. That said, I also understand that it would cause dissonance whereby one half of my mind would be telling me to stay in bed/to avoid the rain/to not go because I feel a little under the weather, but at the same time, I am paying a great deal of money to be at University and therefore should be making the most out of it!

What do you think?

(Sorry if this has been done before, I did a quick search but couldn't see a strictly related topic)
    Have been in discussions with my school in Notts about this lately.

In terms of student learning, can't fault it. You get another resource for revision, a visual experience for visual learners, anything not in lecture slides should be covered, and you even get verbal recapping for aural learners. It also means that students could refrain from taking notes during the lecture and thus give it their full attention, letting the content sink in better. The only downside I can see might be attendance to the actual lecture, but I reckon taking a register, whether the lecturer even reads it or not, would keep students in lectures. If you miss lectures, you miss out on asking questions while the content's fresh.

One of the main issues I find though is that it seems unfair to tell lecturers that they must record their lectures. Many might not want to, or may deliver sub-standard lectures as a result. Making it a condition for new lecturers seems fair, but for those who already teach, it's not strictly what they signed up for. It's also a little different delivering a lecture by video than in front of the audience - typically lecturers will pace the floor and look around the class. In a recording, you need to stay in sight of the camera and can only really look up and down without disrupting your body language.

ReputationRep:
    books are not a good idea

we should go back to spoken word reading of scripts
    otherwise nobody would show up!!

ReputationRep:
    very useful...
    however some people tend to sell them which is not fair...
    but having the lecture always available is amazing...it stresses me less and also makes me learn without rush.

ReputationRep:
    I already find it tempting to skip lectures when they upload the slides, let alone if I knew they would put up a recording of the whole lecture!

The attendance for lectures which have preloaded slides are always pretty poor (about 20 people out of 40). Those that don't preload the slides and expect you to take notes and give out handouts specifically for the session (that then aren't uploaded) have an attendance of near enough full house.

The attendance would only be about 3 if they recorded the lecture, even though we have an attendance quota for each module.

ReputationRep:
    It would be useful for me (short attention span due to epilepsy) but I can understand the negatives.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.