Turn on thread page Beta

About Dota of Warcraft III watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to start playing Doto of Warcraft III recently, can someone teach me how to start? (like which character should I begin with?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCW215)
    I want to start playing Doto of Warcraft III recently, can someone teach me how to start? (like which character should I begin with?)
    Its Dota. Not Doto. And do you have Warcraft 3 ? If you do , then install Warcraft 3 Reign of chaos, Followed by Frozen Throne, then download the dota map from www.getdota.com

ReputationRep:
    Thx, I know it's dota, sorry about that, I have updated the game to the latest version, I also have the map, but which character should I begin with? Or which character is easy for the beginner?

ReputationRep:
    Thx, I know it's dota, sorry about that, I have updated the game to the latest version, I also have the map, but which character should I begin with? Or which character is easy for the beginner?
    Oh alright. Are you playing on Garena ?

Anyways, good hero to start with is Rikimaru. But, you might get a little stick because Riki is quite popular with the pros also. Another good hero is Centaur or Axe. Or Lion. All you have to do with lion is just Stun, then ulti, and repeat

ReputationRep:
    If you have just started its worth considering the multiple dedicated games that aim to copy dota. I wont say which is best just that you have a lot of options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrninja)
    If you have just started its worth considering the multiple dedicated games that aim to copy dota. I wont say which is best just that you have a lot of options
    Nono. I dont agree there. HoN or LoL are both not as good as DoTA itself. DoTA is still uber-cool.

ReputationRep:
    Dota is an old game so I'm assuming a lot of players are already pros. It'll be hard for you to get used to it.

I recommend League of Legends which is very much like DotA. It's free, has a large player base and you can even do Co-Op vs Bots so you can learn the game much easier.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to get into which is better both have their strength and flaws but I would say being able to reconnect to a game is probably one of the best things about the competitors.

ReputationRep:
    Try AI maps, and play with friends on LAN to get used to it. You'll get destroyed and flamed online. I would know, I'm one of those ******s that do it. Good heroes to start with are gerenal tanky heroes (normally strength) and preferably with a stun (Leo, Centuar) or ones with invisibility (Nerubian Assassian (agi), Gondar (agi) )

ReputationRep:
    Started 6 years ago, and wish I never did. Too addictive..

ReputationRep:
    Or get a Garena account and play there. There are n00bs there also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    Or get a Garena account and play there. There are n00bs there also.
    I already have a Garena account, I used to play a game like dota but it's in Chinese(The game is about the Sengoku period http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period), and I want to start playing dota because my cousins go to school in Malaysia, and they all play dota over there.
    Thx for teaching me, I will learn more by playing with random players online.

ReputationRep:
    Drax, Clinkz and Lion are the best heroes to start with, particularly lion. I'd definitely start with ranged heroes initially.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, dont start with Invoker. Pls. Thats like a permanent death sentence

ReputationRep:
    start with darwin, then switch to razor. And then take any character who appears strong

ReputationRep:
    when I taught my friends dota I told them to pick 'drow ranger' or 'centaur'. But it doesn't matter really. Any hero is OK as you will get stomped quite a lot in the beginning anyways. Go on playdota website and read around in the strategy forum so you get a feel for how you can use different build strategies for heroes.

Don't start with invoker.

Nono. I dont agree there. HoN or LoL are both not as good as DoTA itself. DoTA is still uber-cool.
    THIS

(Original post by ibs137)
    Dota is an old game so I'm assuming a lot of players are already pros. It'll be hard for you to get used to it.

I recommend League of Legends which is very much like DotA. It's free, has a large player base and you can even do Co-Op vs Bots so you can learn the game much easier.
    nono, dota ftw!

(Original post by gingerrninja)
    I don't want to get into which is better both have their strength and flaws but I would say being able to reconnect to a game is probably one of the best things about the competitors.
    but this is why icefrog is currently developing DotA 2. so HoN and LoL can go into the trash again for good.

(Original post by wqliu90)
    Started 6 years ago, and wish I never did. Too addictive..
    The game is awesome! actually, I started about 6 years ago as well. but really captains mode started to piss me off and i just stopped playing the game. haven't played it since 6.59 which i think came out over a year ago.
    Will give dota 2 a shot though.

Whatever you do, dont start with Invoker. Pls. Thats like a permanent death sentence

ReputationRep:
    I've played both HoN and LoL quite a lot recently, and I can still say that DoTA is still the best. Even with the maphackers. DoTA is a lot more easier to learn than HoN and HoN is so fast paced. Same applies to LoL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 1, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.