Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard that rabbits would eat their own droppings. The vet said that this is perfectly normal, but my rabbit never touch its droppings. She would just kick them to somewhere less noticeable.
    Instead, my dog loves to eat her droppings .. and sometimes I just can't stop it before he swallows it down. Is the droppings harmful to dogs?

Did anyone have the experience of keeping a dog and a rabbit in the same house?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure what it is you're asking. You get some dogs that eat their droppings - I imagine it could cause a problem... note the could. But stopping them doing it isn't easy.

Rabbits will only eat certain droppings. The ones she kicks away are probably hard ones? She'll eat soft ones and redigest it to get the most out of it, then you see the hard ones everywhere. Rabbit food (hay and grass, etc) is very difficult to digest to get the most out of it, so they will eat droppings several times to get everything they can out of it. You probably wont see a rabbit doing this because it tends to be something that they do at night.

Again, I'm not too sure what you're asking - keeping a dog and a rabbit in the same house? What exactly do you want to know about this?

ReputationRep:
    wow ! I bet you love animals very much as you keep a dog and a rabbit at the same time! I wonder if they can get along well? it would be dangerous to both of them if they fight :O!

Well, back to the subject. It is normal that a rabbit eat its droppings to redigest and get the maximum nutrients that it can extract from the food (told by my teacher ). I think your rabbit DO eat its droppings when you are not watching. Please don't worry about your rabbit !

However I do wrooy about you dog! I have never heard of a dog eating its own droppings. I believe it is harmful to its health ^o). I would suggest you to pick up its droppings as soon as possible and you better ask the vet about it

I would be so happy if i had a dog and a rabbit to accompany me
    GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I mean my dog will eat my rabbit's droppings, not the dog eating its own droppings.

and I recently find out that the dog LOVES to eat my rabbit's hay @[email protected]
    id that okay to let him eat the hay?
    Would that be harmful to his digestive system?

ReputationRep:
    Rabbits eat their own droppings is normal. Your rabbit doesn't eat its droppings, maybe because what you feed it is easy to be well dijested, so your rabbit doesn't need to eat its dropping anymore.

I don't think its harmful for your dog to eat your rabbit's droppings because the amount is not much and that the droppings is only a tiny ball of fibre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanhoshan)
    I don't think its harmful for your dog to eat your rabbit's droppings because the amount is not much and that the droppings is only a tiny ball of fibre.
    well not just "a tiny ball of fibre". Droppings may contain bacteria and digestive liquid or other substances which maybe be harmful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainynight)
    well not just "a tiny ball of fibre". Droppings may contain bacteria and digestive liquid or other substances which maybe be harmful.
    As you've said that droppings contain harmful substances, you should really pay more attention to your doogy and stop it from touching either its or your bunny's droppings. better take it to a vet and have a body check.

don't hesitate, it's a serious matter.

ReputationRep:
    I have a dog and a rabbit, and my dog eats the rabbits droppings as well :l I don't think it is particularly harmful though

ReputationRep:
    It won't do your dog any harm.

ReputationRep:
    As ghostbusterbunny says, rabbits don't eat all of their droppings, just the softer ones. Forgotten their exact name now.

You probably won't tend to see your rabbit eating these either because they tend to do it overnight.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.