want to learn Korean Watch

yusi869190
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Dear all,

I love listening Korean music.
To understand what are the lyrics' meaning I want to learn Korean by myself.
Are you guys have some suggestions to me or know some website of Korean learning to help me learn it easily?

Thanks!!
Chucklefiend
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yusi869190)
Dear all,

Are you guys have some suggestions to me or know some website of Korean learning to help me learn it easily?

Thanks!!
I'm afraid that learning Korean "easily" is impossible, it's one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world. Even if you were particularly linguistically talented it would most likely take 3-4 years of intensive study. I'm not trying to put you off you understand, but merely telling you how it is. Good luck.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found a great website once to teach the beautiful writing system, but I can't find it. Sorry. =o=

Check out this:
http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/la/la/korean.htm
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chucklefiend)
it's one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world
Any evidence for this?
Chucklefiend
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kolya)
Any evidence for this?
"The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US Department of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages. Of the 63 languages analyzed, the five most difficult languages to reach proficiency in speaking and proficiency in reading (for native English speakers who already know other languages), requiring 88 weeks, are "Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_di...rn#cite_note-1
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid that learning Korean "easily" is impossible, it's one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world. Even if you were particularly linguistically talented it would most likely take 3-4 years of intensive study. I'm not trying to put you off you understand, but merely telling you how it is. Good luck.
This is definitely not true.

I don't speak Korean, but my best friend does, I have a lot of Korean friends, and I know a lot of people who do Korean studies, and the general consensus is that it's not impossibly tricky. The written form looks totally alien to us, however there's only something like 24 letters, and apparently it's very straight forward to learn, it's not like Chinese/Arabic.

Crikey, even I've picked up a few words, just by listening to them. Soju! Soju! Soju!
Chucklefiend
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

I don't speak Korean, but my best friend does, I have a lot of Korean friends, and I know a lot of people who do Korean studies, and the general consensus is that it's not impossibly tricky. The written form looks totally alien to us, however there's only something like 24 letters, and apparently it's very straight forward to learn, it's not like Chinese/Arabic.

Crikey, even I've picked up a few words, just by listening to them. Soju! Soju! Soju!
^^ Evidence to support my claim above.
Le Récamier
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Trust me, Chinese is a lot easier than Korean. I've learned a bit of Korean, but I'm a Chinese major. Actually in China as I speak. Korean is extremely difficult because it has a bunch of sounds we find hard to distinguish. The grammar is also very hard. Chinese on the other hand has very simple grammar, and the sounds are not hard to reproduce. By about three months into Chinese, you figure out tones.
Of course written it's a lot easier probably to learn Korean. The alphabet isn't hard, but in the long run I find Korean way more difficult. Even for my Japanese friends it is a hard language, and their grammar is relatively similar.
yusi869190
Rep:
?
Sorry i don't mean Korean is easy to learn.
I mean can you guys show me some way so i could know how to learn it.
Anyway, thanx for ur suggestion!
I will do my best to learn it whatever it is easy or hard to me.
yusi869190
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cicerao)
I found a great website once to teach the beautiful writing system, but I can't find it. Sorry. =o=

Check out this:
http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/la/la/korean.htm
Never mind and thank u very much!!!
It's a very good information to me.
Sincerely thanx for answering my question again!
yusi869190
Rep:
?
Thanx for answering my question again.
U guys are so nice.
And sorry for replying u all so late.

Actually, I have learned Korean by myself for a period of time.
But I couldn't tell how it is easy or hard.

The other thing I want to tell u all is I'm going to learn Korean formally this Thu.
I was so excited. haha~
Hope I can get a lot of fun from learning a new language.
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The written form looks totally alien to us, however there's only something like 24 letters
This makes no difference. The Korean alphabet is indeed very easy (you could learn it in an afternoon), but that doesn't actually make the language itself any less tough (the Latin alphabet is easy as well, after all, so why can't we all speak French?). Chinese is probably easier.
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pedrobear)
This makes no difference. The Korean alphabet is indeed very easy (you could learn it in an afternoon), but that doesn't actually make the language itself any less tough (the Latin alphabet is easy as well, after all, so why can't we all speak French?). Chinese is probably easier.
Facepalmed when saw Korean-talk above.

Rejoiced when saw Bro taking up the reigns in my absence.

Why am I still on this website Bro? Why?
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are we here? Floating around in this refuse of unethereal crap, a wasteland of everything rits would detest.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are we here? Floating around in this refuse of unethereal crap, a wasteland of everything rits would detest.
Because we clearly have nothing better to do than debate which language is the hardest in the world . (Wait, that's not true, I have a whole sheet of Russian participles waiting for me - why am I here?!)
Aivicore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US Department of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages. Of the 63 languages analyzed, the five most difficult languages to reach proficiency in speaking and proficiency in reading (for native English speakers who already know other languages), requiring 88 weeks, are "Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_di...rn#cite_note-1
They've based that on the assumption that English speakers will find alternative writings systems difficult, which is not necessarily the case.

Everyone is different - As somebody who is proficient in Japanese (including reading), I can tell you I found it ten times easier than learning French.

OP, try immersing yourself in as many Korean films/TV shows as possible, to get used to the natural sound of the language. (More natural than singing, I mean.)
There's plenty of tutorials on youtube as well, and definitely consider buying yourself a "Teach Yourself" book.
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cause we still haven't found the way?

At least we're both ****.
humy369
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dear all,

Thanks!!
Don't know if you still want to know but i use taltomeinkorean.com Its pretty good
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dear all,

Thanks!!
I thoroughly recommend the FSI Korean course. It's available free (legally, too, as it's offered free in the public domain) here >> http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Korean

FSI language courses were created by the United States government, and are a great way to master the basics and beyond of a language.

Also, check out the Unilang Korean forum if you need any more help http://www.unilang.org/viewforum.php?f=33

Here is a further list of Korean resources from Unilang http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12754

You might wish to get the Pimsleur Korean course from your library too (do not buy it, as it's extremely expensive).

Good luck, and don't listen to anyone who tells you 'it's the hardest language, blah blah blah'.
theymadeuamoron
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by humy369)
Don't know if you still want to know but i use taltomeinkorean.com Its pretty good
Talk to me in Korean have really really good podcasts on Itunes, I've been using them for a while now and they're really useful, you can download the pdf docs alongside the audio as well
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?