Wanted: your thoughts on Michael Haneke's Code Unknown (2000) Watch

PavlyuchenkoIsGod
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm writing an essay on the nature and message films of Michael Haneke, and I wondered what your opinions were on Code Inconnu: Récit incomplet de divers voyages?

I've watched the film twice now, and I'm having a lot of difficulty in discerning a realtable motif or characteristic, and my tutor isn't being very helpful, so I thought I'd try here.

If you haven't seen it before, I'd suggest you watched it, but it seems to be the sort of film you have to watch about 10 times to get the overall jist.

Thanks in advance!
PavlyuchenkoIsGod
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
*relatble
hogso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PavlyuchenkoIsGod)
I've watched the film twice now, and I'm having a lot of difficulty in discerning a realtable motif or characteristic, and my tutor isn't being very helpful, so I thought I'd try here
Well, Haneke is famous for wanting his viewers to 'complete' his movies. He makes films about specific themes, but doesn't believe that his opinion on said theme is important. He wants the viewer to consider the things they are presented with, and draw their own conclusions, 'completing' the film. So askng other people for their thoughts would probably upset him very much

Regardless; Code: Unknown is a little different from Haneke's other films as it deals with multiple themes. Multiculturalism and Xenophobia are two obvious ones, but the main theme of the film is the difficulties of communication we have with one another, for many different reasons. Consider the deaf children, communitcating via sign language, both to each other and non-deaf people. The Romanian beggar women unable to communicate with the police because she doesn't speak French. The father and son on the farm who rarely speak. The child having to confess to what happened at school to his father. How the photographer tries to communicate his story with his photographs.

The relationship between Anne and her boyfriend is my favourite though. They seem unable to communicate with each other when they are reunited. They fall out with each other at the supermarket. And Anne finds it very difficult to say 'I Love You' even when acting. The final shot, with her boyfriend forgetting the code to Anne's flat is an important metaphor. The code is litearally unknown. Anne gives the code to the younger brother earlier in the film. They are able to communicate very well. Do we require a code to communicate concisely with one another?

Man I love Haneke. He's 70 next year, doesn't seem to have lost any of his craftsmanship though...but may only make a few more films, I guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (63)
29.44%
No - I got the required grades (122)
57.01%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise