Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been pondering this for a while, saw the different opinions about how other Windows brands are more worth the money (cheaper, better specs, etc). I'm a Windows 7 user now (and it's pretty lovely) but I need a new laptop so...

Is a macbook (air/pro) a worthwhile investment if money isn't an issue? Would you get one, or would you go for other brands?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you wanna use it for, the main issue with Mac's is the cost comparison, yes Mac's are suited to media based student, with some nice software to get you started. As an IT student i wouldnt have much use for a Mac unless it was to tear it down or do a comparison of some sort.

Cost aside, i wouldnt need one, if it was gifted to me i'd either keep it for a while or re-gift it to a friend or family member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    Depends what you wanna use it for, the main issue with Mac's is the cost comparison, yes Mac's are suited to media based student, with some nice software to get you started. As an IT student i wouldnt have much use for a Mac unless it was to tear it down or do a comparison of some sort.

Cost aside, i wouldnt need one, if it was gifted to me i'd either keep it for a while or re-gift it to a friend or family member.
    The only way I'd consider the Air as a primary laptop is if I was given a no-limit allowance in the Apple Store and I could max out the processor and RAM, because only then are it's specs comparable to even the entry-level Pro, the point where I'd actually be bothered by its ultraportability.

But otherwise, no. As nice as they are, the Air's specs are utterly pathetic for the prices they charge and aren't suited to acting as a primary computer for anybody but a very light user, which begs the question as to why they want to spend £900+ on a computer anyway. As a secondary computer for people who work primarily at desktops and have money to burn, they're probably a great purchase. But otherwise you trade off ridiculous amounts of power just so you can fit it in an envelope. The 13" is far better value for money (If that's even possible with Apple =P), and I have no problems with the weight or portability of mine.

tldr; if you can afford to go nuts, 13" air with maxed processor/RAM is a viable alternative to the entry level Pro. If not, the Pro kicks its ass, especially since the new upgrade.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Don't buy a Macbook Air until they upgrade the processors - the current ones are absolutely terrible and so so many generations behind the trend. It is rumoured to be happening this summer.

ReputationRep:
    If I already had a reasonably powerful desktop at home- the Air. Otherwise, I would have to go for the Pro.

ReputationRep:
    Neither, all "A for Apple" products are rip off asian components packaged and branded under an Apple shell.

For the same price you can pick up a solid windows based laptop, with obviously much better hardware and of course are NOT restricted to upgrade components. Need i mention that there are thousands of applications for windows machines, latest driver support for components, constant windows updates .etc

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the purchasing of a mac unless you've got wads of cash to burn.

ReputationRep:
    The Air looks great, but so does the Pro in its own way. For what I need - graphic design and multimedia, power and storage - the Pro is a long way ahead.

In fact I did get one, and it's beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Already have a 13 inch Pro. If I had the money would definitely get a 13 inch Air for university next year, would be so easy to bring to campus everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunjar)
    Neither, all "A for Apple" products are rip off asian components packaged and branded under an Apple shell.

For the same price you can pick up a solid windows based laptop, with obviously much better hardware and of course are NOT restricted to upgrade components. Need i mention that there are thousands of applications for windows machines, latest driver support for components, constant windows updates .etc

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the purchasing of a mac unless you've got wads of cash to burn.
    That's exactly my point - if you have the cash, would you get a Macbook or a similarly spec-ed windows laptop? :confused:

I've noted your points, but you can dual boot windows 7 in mac, unless I'm grossly mistaken. Most things are made in Asia (erm, China) too, lol

ReputationRep:
    If i had the money I'd have a Pro, the Air is completely stupid. But I don't, so I'll stick with my XPS M1330.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a Macbook pro for my birthday

personally, I wouldn't get a Macbook air simply because they seem so fragile. that's just my opinion of course.

Apple products are lovely; they're so beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -raisa)
    I'm getting a Macbook pro for my birthday

personally, I wouldn't get a Macbook air simply because they seem so fragile. that's just my opinion of course.

Apple products are lovely; they're so beautiful.
    They're also ridiculously expensive. You could get a normal computer with identical specifications for literally half the price.

ReputationRep:
    For power alone, the Pro is where it's at. All depends what you will intending to use it for. However, it will cost you dear and all the extras will have to be Mac-based, costing even more £££, especially for the larger screen versions.

You could consider an Asus. Some of their laptops have terrific clout, like their M73. Or a Toshiba Satellite P500 costing a good £4-500 cheaper than a Mac.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really need either. I have a netbook & even that I rarely use. But if you're buying it now get the Macbook pro as the air hasn't been updated yet. Macs are good machines, if money isn't an issue fair game!

(Original post by kunjar)
    Saying cost isn't an issue kind of implies that doesn't it? I'm not much of a mac fan either (mostly due to costs) but you have to admit they're pretty good machines if you ignore the price tag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyina)
    Been pondering this for a while, saw the different opinions about how other Windows brands are more worth the money (cheaper, better specs, etc). I'm a Windows 7 user now (and it's pretty lovely) but I need a new laptop so...

Is a macbook (air/pro) a worthwhile investment if money isn't an issue? Would you get one, or would you go for other brands?
    Get a Pro. Unlike PC brands, Apple maxes out the performance of each computer they build, so not only it will be super fast but worth your money. 5-10 second shut down sounds good? yes! Less than 15 seconds boot up sounds even better! I wonder if any of these guys are mac users. If you really have the money, i would go for the 15inch just because it has a larger screen and i like the backlit keyboard on it. If not, go for the 13inch, its just as good. hope i helped.

ReputationRep:
    iPad 2 (with top specs: 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G)
    Simples!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    iPad 2 (with top specs: 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G)
    Simples!
    I've considered this, but typing will be a pain (I have an iTouch, I just dislike typing on touchscreens... and predictive text is hilariously torturous) unless I get an external keyboard. I will probably look like a moron using that... :rolleyes: Also it doesn't have essential ports, e.g. USB/SD card slot/ethernet..

As a main computer, the iPad is just impossible!

ReputationRep:
    I have a macbook pro 2.66ghz and I love it. My friend sold his though, to buy an air because it's lighter and smaller. Personally I would go crazy with an air though - it can only connect to internet through wireless and I don't have wireless internet at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    I have a macbook pro 2.66ghz and I love it. My friend sold his though, to buy an air because it's lighter and smaller. Personally I would go crazy with an air though - it can only connect to internet through wireless and I don't have wireless internet at home.
    I thought MBAs can connect to the ethernet via the USB adapter? It does lack many other ports though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.