If you like a star or a group, do you want to go to their concert? Watch

tina90L
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Last weekend, I used my part-time job's money to get the ticket and attended my favorite group's concert. That korean group is famous in my country, and I have loved this group for 3 years. This group had held the concert for three days, so the dorm in my country was so crowded last weekend~

However, after I came home, my mother was so angry because she didn't like
korean group. Moreover, she thinks that I am a student, should not spend time and
money to the stars so much...

How about you? If you like that artist or group, do you want to attend their
concert? Or you think it's just waste of time and money?
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if i like them i will go and see them live :dontknow: its entertainment, something to be enjoyed. we can't be expected to stay at home and study all of the time
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally, I wouldn't bother going to see them live. If I like a band I'm fine just hearing them on the radio or playing off my pc.
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is nothing I want more in this world than to see Emperor reform and play live. If they do that I will fly to any country in the world to see them. Next band I want to see most is the mighty Porcupine Tree.

Live music isn't just about audio it's an experience. It's louder and makes more of an atmosphere. For me there is nothing better, the single greatest experience of my life so far was seeing Dark Fortress playing "like a somnambulist in daylight's fire" live.
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gigs are probably my favourite way of spending time tbf :erm:
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
Personally, I wouldn't bother going to see them live. If I like a band I'm fine just hearing them on the radio or playing off my pc.
Have you ever been to a gig? If not then you don't know how special seeing a great band is. Or maybe you just aren't into music that much, do you care about the mp3 rip quality, or cd's or soundsystems or do you just listen to crappy downloads on **** speakers?
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Always, if I love a band I'll make the effort to see them live. Like someone else has said it's not solely about the music it is the experience of being in a busy atomosphere with likeminded people and enjoying the music!

Festivals I enjoy for the same reason, the music and the experience.

EDIT: Also I tend to download music for free (I know it's bad etc etc etc) but if I like music I'd rather pay to experience it and usually buy a T Shirt. I have too many damn T Shirts now though. :rolleyes:
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
Have you ever been to a gig? If not then you don't know how special seeing a great band is. Or maybe you just aren't into music that much, do you care about the mp3 rip quality, or cd's or soundsystems or do you just listen to crappy downloads on **** speakers?
Actually a lot of it is to do with my degree "Creative Events: Design and Production"/"Event Experience Design", I know all the secrets of how they create these events, how they wire up the lighting and sound and now the magic and 'ooohh' effect has been lost on me.

But yeah, I guess I'm not that much into music any more. I like listening to some bands but I'm not fanatical about them and I tend to go off bands after a couple of years. And I don't care much about quality either. Listening to live music usually (in my opinion) sounds quite bad, I'm not interested in the instrumentals or whatnot.
MizzCupcakes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Going to gigs is one of the most fun experiences ever! The atmosphere is amazing, if you go see a concert it is more intimate and if it is a smaller place it will be even more so. Then you have festivals which also are a lot of fun. I would definitely spend money to see my favorite band, I can tell you I did, it took me five years but I could finally say to my mom "I'm 18 and I'm going whatever you say I am going!"

So don't think about it, mothers worry, maybe she'll understand sometime later :dontknow:
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love going to gigs, I'll go even if it isn't a 'favourite' band. If I could, I'd spend all my money on gig/festival going. It's not really practical though.
Philbert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't been to all that many gigs, but I've always found that seeing certain bands live makes me appreciate their music more. Bands I'd love to see live include: Agalloch, Alcest, Pelican, Between the Buried and Me and a few others.

I wish I had more money to go to gigs.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
Actually a lot of it is to do with my degree "Creative Events: Design and Production"/"Event Experience Design", I know all the secrets of how they create these events, how they wire up the lighting and sound and now the magic and 'ooohh' effect has been lost on me.

But yeah, I guess I'm not that much into music any more. I like listening to some bands but I'm not fanatical about them and I tend to go off bands after a couple of years. And I don't care much about quality either. Listening to live music usually (in my opinion) sounds quite bad, I'm not interested in the instrumentals or whatnot.
yeah sometimes it does sound bad, but it is more of an experience than just plain audio to me. Just the crowd interaction from the band gets you pumped up. Which is why Mayhem pissed me off when they played live, it was the snowiest day of the year and only they could get to the venue (i wanted to see both support bands as well) and they played an average sounding unenthusiastic 45 minute set and then just went, no encore or anything, it was ridiculously hard for people to get to the concert, talking to the crowd even just saying "this next one is..." or "It's cold, wintery and snowy outside, sounds like a perfect time for "FREEZING MOON!!!!!!!", no they just looked bored and wanted to go off I think. At the end the singer just said "thank you london" quietly and buggered off. The sound set up was poor too, the guitars could barely be heard. It annoyed me because they were always one of my favourite bands, the backpatch of them on my jacket is more than a4 sized, and it just tarnished my opinion of them now.

Live music is powerful **** if you are into it enough, if not I can see why you wouldn't understand, or if you understood just weren't interested.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Philbert)
I haven't been to all that many gigs, but I've always found that seeing certain bands live makes me appreciate their music more. Bands I'd love to see live include: Agalloch, Alcest, Pelican, Between the Buried and Me and a few others.

I wish I had more money to go to gigs.
I want to pos rep you for Alcest but I have run out Are you going to see them at the underworld? They are playing at some point with a few other good bands.
Philbert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was thinking about it, but I'm not familiar with most of the other bands. It would be worth it if I didn't have to travel so far.

Also, Porcupine Tree; another band I'd love to see live.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm never seen a singer/group live, and probably never will...unless someone invites me for free.

I find that singers/groups are never as good live anyway.
rish15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Music sounds a lot better live!
concubine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is nothing I want more in this world than to see Emperor reform and play live. If they do that I will fly to any country in the world to see them. Next band I want to see most is the mighty Porcupine Tree.

Live music isn't just about audio it's an experience. It's louder and makes more of an atmosphere. For me there is nothing better, the single greatest experience of my life so far was seeing Dark Fortress playing "like a somnambulist in daylight's fire" live.

I've seen Emperor and Porcupine Tree multiple times.

And Dark Fortress before they went all ZZZZZZZzzzz.

The original post in this thread is lulworthy.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by concubine)
I've seen Emperor and Porcupine Tree multiple times.

And Dark Fortress before they went all ZZZZZZZzzzz.

The original post in this thread is lulworthy.
You lucky *******,

Dark Fortress are and always have been ****ing amazing, my all time favourite band. Would have loved to see them with Azathoth though. They've only done two UK gigs though and I have been to both
concubine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You lucky *******,

Dark Fortress are and always have been ****ing amazing, my all time favourite band. Would have loved to see them with Azathoth though. They've only done two UK gigs though and I have been to both
The Shining and Vulture Industries ones yeah?

I stole someone's GF at the VI/Hellheim gig.
HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends who it is and whether they perform good live. Dont wanna waste my money on say someone like 50 cent who came like 3 hours late, rapped for 40 min and sprayed water on the crowd

But mostly I do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.29%
No - I got the required grades (54)
62.07%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.64%

Watched Threads