changes to insurance laws Watch

Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
just a heads up, the laws regarding insurance are changing, and by the sounds of it, if you have a vehicle taxed, but not on the road, you will need insurance.

this seems totally pointless to me, as if you going to be driving without insurance, you wouldn't get tax either.
although will mean i need to hand my tax disk from my old bike in, making it harder to get back on the road later on. its like they dont want me giving them money for nothing!
TheCurlyHairedDude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So basically you can't buy a car with TAX on it, unless you're going to insure it straight away :/
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
So basically you can't buy a car with TAX on it, unless you're going to insure it straight away :/
from the sounds of it,
if you do, you'd have to give in your tax disk (and im guessing tat voids it - so youll need to buy a new years tax)
TheCurlyHairedDude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
from the sounds of it,
if you do, you'd have to give in your tax disk (and im guessing tat voids it - so youll need to buy a new years tax)
Because I want to buy a car, but insurance will be too expensive at my age, so I aim to keep it in my drive
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
Because I want to buy a car, but insurance will be too expensive at my age, so I aim to keep it in my drive
you can still do that, youll just need to declare it SORN, and you will loose any tax that comes with the car will be.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
Where did you hear this?

I heard something similar a while back but I figured it ended up dead in the water.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by FXX)
Where did you hear this?

I heard something similar a while back but I figured it ended up dead in the water.
originaly on a forum
then my shiny new licence arrived today with a leaflet about it

and here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...LA=DM&CRE=Furl
FloppyBunny789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hasn't this already been initiated?
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by wm123)
Hasn't this already been initiated?
im not sure, hope not, still gotta declare my old bike sorn (its taxed till july)
J_90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
BS.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
originaly on a forum
then my shiny new licence arrived today with a leaflet about it

and here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...LA=DM&CRE=Furl
Wow, that's slightly retarded.
FloppyBunny789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im not sure, hope not, still gotta declare my old bike sorn (its taxed till july)
Yea I was faced with the same dilemma not too long ago.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you can still do that, youll just need to declare it SORN, and you will loose any tax that comes with the car will be.
If you declare the car/bike SORN you get a refund on the tax, pro rata unless only a month remains.

Basically its going to make bugger all difference to most people, unless you have a summer toy, it means that you cannot insure your car whilst it is not taxed which is stupid.

As long as a car is SORN'd and off the road, you have nothing to worry about.
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
If you declare the car/bike SORN you get a refund on the tax, pro rata unless only a month remains.

Basically its going to make bugger all difference to most people, unless you have a summer toy, it means that you cannot insure your car whilst it is not taxed which is stupid.

Its not a problem for people financially, its just inconvenience.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)

ooh thanks, i may as well do it then....

it does seem a bit silly though, initially i head it was to help crack down on people driving without insurance, but if your driving without insurance, surly you wouldn't tax it either.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh i agree, it is stupid and a waste of time and money. Its not going to do anything but be a ball ache.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Its not a problem for people financially, its just inconvenience.
It is a problem financially, unless your tax and insurance start on the same day of the month (not that likely, considering most people tax online and it takes a few days for insurance to show up), you are losing between 1 and 30 days of tax as they only pro-rata refund up to the month earlier, depending on your tax band you could lose up to £80 for a car.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
It is a problem financially, unless your tax and insurance start on the same day of the month (not that likely, considering most people tax online and it takes a few days for insurance to show up), you are losing between 1 and 30 days of tax as they only pro-rata refund up to the month earlier, depending on your tax band you could lose up to £80 for a car.
afaik both insurance and tax are valid from the day you pay (unless otherwise agreed), and you dont need to wait for the docs to turn up.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
afaik both insurance and tax are valid from the day you pay (unless otherwise agreed), and you dont need to wait for the docs to turn up.
Tax is valid from the day you pay (though you do need to display a tax disc, or be waiting for one and have one that expired less than 5 days ago), yes, but refunds can only be on a monthly basis. The tax disc always displays the last day of the month as the last day it's valid to and the first day of the month as the first day it's valid from.
warrenpenalver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
depending on your tax band you could lose up to £80 for a car.
but guess who profits?? yep DVLA.

The whole move just seems to be yet another revenue earning scam by DVLA.

Dont worry about the fines. Chances are unless theyve managed to change the RTA then they will be legally unenforcable. Ive had loads of SORN fines over the years for the odd scrapper or ID i kept and avoided paying them all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads