This discussion is closed.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is it just me or are philosophers just time wasting con-artists who have nothing better to do that make up mindless rubbish and use it to justify life?

Heres what I found out today, its a piece of philosophy..

"objects are just a figment of our imagination, and do not actually exist unless we can physically see them..."
This is in the sense that if you leave your house to go to school, then whilst being at school, your house does not really exist.

What do you think?
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Is it just me or are philosophers just time wasting con-artists who have nothing better to do that make up mindless rubbish and use it to justify life?

Heres what I found out today, its a piece of philosophy..

"objects are just a figment of our imagination, and do not actually exist unless we can physically see them..."
This is in the sense that if you leave your house to go to school, then whilst being at school, your house does not really exist.

What do you think?
Well i disagree with the opinion that philosophers are time wasting etc as i think it is a highly profound and worthy subject. But i definately disagree with the quote...because wat we see is all down to perception and just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. If i was standing next to a blind person i would still be there, regardless of whether they could see me or not because they can percieve via other senses.
MC
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
Well i disagree with the opinion that philosophers are time wasting etc as i think it is a highly profound and worthy subject.
I disagree, all philosophers do is take a subject already known to people, and they try to invent a totally absurd theory to justify the subject and cause confusion. This is made even worse when what they say is scientifically proven wrong, yet they still remain adamant of what they say.
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I disagree, all philosophers do is take a subject already known to people, and they try to invent a totally absurd theory to justify the subject and cause confusion. This is made even worse when what they say is scientifically proven wrong, yet they still remain adamant of what they say.
Have you ever read any Nietzsche's book?
Muffle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You obviously havent read around Philisophy enough to know that philosophy is the basis of most arts and sciences.
MC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Have you ever read any Nietzsche's book?
No.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No.
I think that you wouldn't be saying that if you...
MC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muffle)
You obviously havent read around Philisophy enough to know that philosophy is the basis of most arts and sciences.
Philosophy is like fortune tellers, both talk mindless rubbish, and both attempt to persude people into what is physically impossible.
MC
Rep:
?
I think that you wouldn't be saying that if you...
Why so?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Philosophy is like fortune tellers, both talk mindless rubbish, and both attempt to persude people into what is physically impossible.
Let's be honest, what have philosophy you read?
Superman comics?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why so?
This stupid statement of yours
(I disagree, all philosophers do is take a subject already known to people, and they try to invent a totally absurd theory to justify the subject and cause confusion) isn't related at all with Nietzsche's books.
Muffle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This stupid statement of yours
(I disagree, all philosophers do is take a subject already known to people, and they try to invent a totally absurd theory to justify the subject and cause confusion) isn't related at all with Nietzsche's books.
What about scientists, they make up what can seem like totally absurd theory’s (the earth is round?) yet suddenly there true and we all love them.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have you ever thought about the basis behind 'knowledge'? Read some Jostein Gaarder - it's good fun.

Ben
MC
Rep:
?
Let's be honest, what have philosophy you read?
Superman comics?
Without resorting to pathetic attempts to insult me, why dont you be mature enough to answer the question. I have studied many philasophical texts and the works of Freud to name but one.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about scientists, they make up what can seem like totally absurd theory’s (the earth is round?) yet suddenly there true and we all love them.
You shouldn't be quoting me, that words are from that guy Mad Caddie who's an ignorant.
MC
Rep:
?
Errr.....the earth is spherical not round. It is not a totally absur theory as many physics calculations prove this to be correct and due to the "wonders" of satalite imagery we also know this to be correct.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Without resorting to pathetic attempts to insult me, why dont you be mature enough to answer the question. I have studied many philasophical texts and the works of Freud to name but one.
Pathetic attemps... I remember who are you, you are that ignorant that said that there are a lot of black people in my country.
Ignorant.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would have loved to study philosophy at A level, but at my college it was basically RE... I was told that by studying Philosophy here at uni you can get a good job prcically anywhere cos it shows you think about things etc. the example the man at the HE fair gave me was that I could work in the Inland Revenue - rock on!
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Enough to know how to spell 'philosophical'? Forgive me for not believing you.

Ben
MC
Rep:
?
You shouldn't be quoting me, that words are from that guy Mad Caddie who's an ignorant.
I am....? Why, because Im not a sheep like you?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads