The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mad Caddie
1 - I never offered advice, I voiced my oppinion and directed it towards you.
2 - I couldnt care less as to what you are doing, if I did I would have read your profile.
3 - Since when did we start talking about reputations?

Ok, just break it up please, everything seems to be turning into an argument nowadays. Splitting up complaints into numbered sections does nothing to help.

If you really really want to argue, do it through PM.
Reply 41
Mad Caddie
THERE ARE HOMES FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

You ran out of words ... now you are just telling random sentences without any sense.
No prolem, there are homes for people like I, yes, the ones that regular people buy ...

Grow up.
Reply 42
MC
OP
thefish_uk
Ok, just break it up please, everything seems to be turning into an argument nowadays. Splitting up complaints into numbered sections does nothing to help.

If you really really want to argue, do it through PM.

Your telling me. I asked a simple question, this guy/girl began a stupid argumentative debate.
Reply 43
thefish_uk
Talking about philosophy...

Is AS/A Level Philosophy a good subject to take? I've chosen it for my choices for the Sixth Form, but I'm still a tiny bit unsure as to exactly what the lessons are like and whether I'll be good at it, as I've never done philosophy at all. It looks pretty interesting to me though.

Is it well respected? I'd be taking it at the same time as Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry with my current plans.

Ive been looking into it and it seems like a good choice, well respected by Universitys and employers alike. I would recomend reading Philosophy: The Basics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415146941/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-8990563-5030013) if you want to know more.
Muffle
Ive been looking into it and it seems like a good choice, well respected by Universitys and employers alike. I would recomend reading Philosophy: The Basics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415146941/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-8990563-5030013) if you want to know more.

Sure - pretty interesting, I'll see...

And Mad Caddie - your views were slightly extreme and biased I have to say; you weren't giving the impression that you knew that much about what you were talking about, at least initially.
Reply 45
hahaha, this is like the funniest thing i've ever read...philosophy?! Racial distribution in Argentina?!

The point is, Mad caddie, philosophers attempt to do the exact opposite of that which u accuse them; being narrow minded. Quoting E F Shumacher, "Our task is to look at the world and see it as a whole". In order to see the whole, it is first neccessary to dissect it into smaller subunits...philosophy is vital in this dissection. It looks at not the how, but the why, and not the specific but the principle. Contrary to what you have previously said it actually couples quite well with science (at least, Frued is of that opinion...surely you should know this, having studied his works?)
Reply 46
MC
OP
thefish_uk
Sure - pretty interesting, I'll see...

And Mad Caddie - your views were slightly extreme and biased I have to say; you weren't giving the impression that you knew that much about what you were talking about, at least initially.

Fair enough, but I was only voicing my oppinion. I am entitled to that, and I do actually have a fair amount of knowledge of philosophy to be able to make an argument.
Reply 47
grace
hahaha, this is like the funniest thing i've ever read...philosophy?! Racial distribution in Argentina?!

The point is, Mad caddie, philosophers attempt to do the exact opposite of that which u accuse them; being narrow minded. Quoting E F Shumacher, "Our task is to look at the world and see it as a whole". In order to see the whole, it is first neccessary to dissect it into smaller subunits...philosophy is vital in this dissection. It looks at not the how, but the why, and not the specific but the principle. Contrary to what you have previously said it actually couples quite well with science (at least, Frued is of that opinion...surely you should know this, having studied his works?)

First of all the race term is out of date.
I brought that up because it was in a thread that was deleted.
Reply 48
thefish_uk
Talking about philosophy...

Is AS/A Level Philosophy a good subject to take? I've chosen it for my choices for the Sixth Form, but I'm still a tiny bit unsure as to exactly what the lessons are like and whether I'll be good at it, as I've never done philosophy at all. It looks pretty interesting to me though.

Is it well respected? I'd be taking it at the same time as Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry with my current plans.

Philosophy would be really good to take along such science and maths based subjects. It'd show employers/unis that you can write good critical essays and analyse ideas in ways beyond mathematical reasoning.

I did self, mind and body philosophy and moral philosophy last semester (as part of my degree). It's hard, especially if you're not a particularly arty person (I'm not trying to insult you... it sounds like you're a science-y person) but it has been useful in writing essays in general.

I don't know what it'd be like at A-level, my school didn't offer it.
.NK
Philosophy would be really good to take along such science and maths based subjects. It'd show employers/unis that you can write good critical essays and analyse ideas in ways beyond mathematical reasoning.

I did self, mind and body philosophy and moral philosophy last semester (as part of my degree). It's hard, especially if you're not a particularly arty person (I'm not trying to insult you... it sounds like you're a science-y person) but it has been useful in writing essays in general.

I don't know what it'd be like at A-level, my school didn't offer it.

Well I'm good at most things really, well in my English GCSE I'm aiming for A/B and for History I'm aiming for A/A*.

And I do like philosophy but mainly the stuff like trying to argue against the existance of God... but I guess that philosophy as a whole subject is much more than that.

It's supposed to have lots of class discussion too.

Latest

Trending

Trending