Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am considering applying at this uni, and was wondering what is the general reputation for Law at this uni? Is the teaching good? What are the applicants: places ratio? Anyone studying here possibly give me some insight to what Law is like at this uni?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to know this too! Aaaanyone????

ReputationRep:
    hey i loved law at uea did my llb and llm there ask my any questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie22)
    hey i loved law at uea did my llb and llm there ask my any questions!
    OK, thanks for your reply. What are the job prospects like after you have a degree from UEA?

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,
    I'm a first year under grad law student at UEA, and thought i'd outline some things about the course etc as requested.
    I do appoligise that i didnt see thsi thread sooner- i realise this is too late for those of you applying this year, but maybe it can be of some help when you are deciding which UCAS offers to accept or for people applying next year. So here goes:

I am really enjoying the Law course at UEA, and woudl throughly reccommend it to anyone applying to study law, the reasons I say this [email protected]

-The campus, depsite being made almost completly our of concrete (it come with the 1970's design im afradi!) is great!- it is compact, has godd quality accommodation, a decent pub and libary (the 2 essesntials :-) ) and every where is within a 10 min walk (most within 5 mins!.) The campus is well desgined, with a centeral 'street' r- which has a variety of shops, 3 banks, a mini-market, canteen, and the pub along it. There is enoguht on campus so you wouldnt need to leave the campus to surrive (although i reccommend doing so, norwich is a great palce) Campus even has its own concert venue (to which many big acts come, includign the darkness, Killers etc...) and night club!- Basically the campus is great!
    - The course is well organsied, and taught well. 1st years take 4 modules which run through out the 1st year (Constitutional and Administrative, Land, Criminal and English Legal Process) which are taught by 2 lectures (1 hr long) eahc week, and 1 seminar (1 hour) every 2 weeks per module. These subjects give a basic understanding of law- however these are also some of the topics ppl most stuggle with- but in the 1st year your marks do not count towards your final degree (as is the same at all other unis)
    -The lecturers are nice, understandable, and (most) aren't too old meaning that you may actually enjoy lectuers!
    - 1st year accommodation is good, if a little pricey (im payin £82 a week for self catering, ensuite) and is all situated failry cloase to everything- i can be at lectures in 2mins!
    - Norwich is a great place- not too big but not too small eithier- there is a whoel host of shops and night clubs/bars to keep yourself amused with!- ANd even though UEA is a campus uni, it is still realtivly near norwich- it takes at most 20mins on the bus (4 miles away- dotn try and walk it- it takes 1.5 hrs!!) and if you buy a bus pass (£120) you can use the bus as much as you want- and depite other peoples opinions i dont think the bus service isnt that bad- especially from campus to the city.
    - The Studnet Union is well organsied (if slightly too democratic!) and really supports you in your studies/social life!

In terms of reputation as a law school UEA is definalty on the 'up'- it is increasingly being noticed by even more of the 'top 10' city firms- even though it obviously cant compete with oxbridge/durham at the moment city firms are recognising that UEA graduates are good!- Everyone i have heard of in their 3rd year has obtained a good training contract if they wanted one!
    UEA's repuatation as a whole is icnreasing too, it came within the top 10 this year in the times uni guide, and number 3 in the national student survey (looking at studnets opinions...)

However There are a few points to note:
    - UEA is not a city uni- so if you would like a massive city with trillions of night clubs on your doorstep then UEA is not for you- however norwich has got decent nightlife- it just cant compete with the like of manchester. (goign out every night isnt reccommended on a law degree anyway!)
    - The work is heavy going- you will have about 6-8 hrs prep at least for each seminar- but this is to be expceted at any law school- but we do appear to work one of the hardest working 1st year courses!
    - Depsite appearcnes on mapes of UEA the law school is only 5 mins walk away from the main part of campus- this is not a problem- all your lectures and most your semianrs will be on the main part of campus (I got to the law school once a week!)- the walk is quite good anyway when you are goign to a 9AM seminar!

Hope this answers any questions, however if you have any more please dont hessitate to reply and i will try and answer any !

But basically- got to UEA- its ace!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ thansk for that! its really helpful to hear things from another students perspective.

me thinkign abt goign there to do law, but staying at home.

(Original post by tim_hand)
    Hi There,
    I'm a first year under grad law student at UEA, and thought i'd outline some things about the course etc as requested.
    I do appoligise that i didnt see thsi thread sooner- i realise this is too late for those of you applying this year, but maybe it can be of some help when you are deciding which UCAS offers to accept or for people applying next year. So here goes:

I am really enjoying the Law course at UEA, and woudl throughly reccommend it to anyone applying to study law, the reasons I say this [email protected]

-The campus, depsite being made almost completly our of concrete (it come with the 1970's design im afradi!) is great!- it is compact, has godd quality accommodation, a decent pub and libary (the 2 essesntials :-) ) and every where is within a 10 min walk (most within 5 mins!.) The campus is well desgined, with a centeral 'street' r- which has a variety of shops, 3 banks, a mini-market, canteen, and the pub along it. There is enoguht on campus so you wouldnt need to leave the campus to surrive (although i reccommend doing so, norwich is a great palce) Campus even has its own concert venue (to which many big acts come, includign the darkness, Killers etc...) and night club!- Basically the campus is great!
    - The course is well organsied, and taught well. 1st years take 4 modules which run through out the 1st year (Constitutional and Administrative, Land, Criminal and English Legal Process) which are taught by 2 lectures (1 hr long) eahc week, and 1 seminar (1 hour) every 2 weeks per module. These subjects give a basic understanding of law- however these are also some of the topics ppl most stuggle with- but in the 1st year your marks do not count towards your final degree (as is the same at all other unis)
    -The lecturers are nice, understandable, and (most) aren't too old meaning that you may actually enjoy lectuers!
    - 1st year accommodation is good, if a little pricey (im payin £82 a week for self catering, ensuite) and is all situated failry cloase to everything- i can be at lectures in 2mins!
    - Norwich is a great place- not too big but not too small eithier- there is a whoel host of shops and night clubs/bars to keep yourself amused with!- ANd even though UEA is a campus uni, it is still realtivly near norwich- it takes at most 20mins on the bus (4 miles away- dotn try and walk it- it takes 1.5 hrs!!) and if you buy a bus pass (£120) you can use the bus as much as you want- and depite other peoples opinions i dont think the bus service isnt that bad- especially from campus to the city.
    - The Studnet Union is well organsied (if slightly too democratic!) and really supports you in your studies/social life!

In terms of reputation as a law school UEA is definalty on the 'up'- it is increasingly being noticed by even more of the 'top 10' city firms- even though it obviously cant compete with oxbridge/durham at the moment city firms are recognising that UEA graduates are good!- Everyone i have heard of in their 3rd year has obtained a good training contract if they wanted one!
    UEA's repuatation as a whole is icnreasing too, it came within the top 10 this year in the times uni guide, and number 3 in the national student survey (looking at studnets opinions...)

However There are a few points to note:
    - UEA is not a city uni- so if you would like a massive city with trillions of night clubs on your doorstep then UEA is not for you- however norwich has got decent nightlife- it just cant compete with the like of manchester. (goign out every night isnt reccommended on a law degree anyway!)
    - The work is heavy going- you will have about 6-8 hrs prep at least for each seminar- but this is to be expceted at any law school- but we do appear to work one of the hardest working 1st year courses!
    - Depsite appearcnes on mapes of UEA the law school is only 5 mins walk away from the main part of campus- this is not a problem- all your lectures and most your semianrs will be on the main part of campus (I got to the law school once a week!)- the walk is quite good anyway when you are goign to a 9AM seminar!

Hope this answers any questions, however if you have any more please dont hessitate to reply and i will try and answer any !

But basically- got to UEA- its ace!!
    Norwich is a city, i live here and the cathedral is a giveaway, why does everyone call it town!!

ReputationRep:
    Places in Britain are only cities if they have a Cathedral. This means that the smallest Hamlet, which may have a Cathedral and only 1 or 2 house, might still be considered a 'city'.

Yet, despite having a Cathedral, Norwich is about the size of a town rather than a proper city.

ReputationRep:
    deffo a city, just look at the signs as you enter "welcome to norwich, a fine city"

and norwich city football club, and of course the cathedral and other things that make cities citys!

and i dont think its thAt small ya know. nice size your able to walk from one side of the city centre to the other without getting too knackered.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.