Sleeping pattern is messing up my life! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know the title sounds really dramatic, but that's how it is at the moment.
I'm in uni as you might have guessed and before Christmas my sleeping pattern was quite bad but I would always be able to get up for lectures, even after 3 hours sleep and then just go back to bed when they finish etc.

But since after Christmas, and more recently probably the last 2-3 weeks my sleeping pattern is ridiculous. I usually can't get to sleep until 4-5 in the morning, then I wake up around 7 and then because my sleep has been disturbed I can't wake up until about 12pm!

I am constantly missing 9am lectures which then messes up friendships because my friends from uni are always asking me why I'm not there, and then if I go out at night I feel like I shouldn't be going because people are annoyed with me for not going to lectures. Also I always have plans to go to the gym and like today I was supposed to have a volunteering meeting but I woke up too late to go to it. I just physically can't wake up. I'm usually tired at about 8pm as well, but I still can't get to sleep until really late.

I'm nearing the end of first year now, and I'm dreading going home for the summer when I have to wake up for work! I've been to the doctor about it and all he said was 'go to the gym before 12pm' because it will give me energy in the day and then I'll be tired at night but I've tried that and it doesn't work!
throwawayaccount12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like me when I was at university, however I did it for the entire 3 years, and still slip back into that habit now a year later.

The problem is that there is always something going on in the evening, and students are lazy... so not a lot goes on before then.

You just have to be a bit more disciplined in when you go to bed, if you plan on getting up and going the gym before morning lectures, then you obviously have to go to bed at a sensible time (10-11:30pm) or at the latest 1am, but even then you will feel like trash when you get up.

The hardest part is breaking the cycle you are in now, because you do not naturally feel tired until 5am, you just need get into bed and turn the lights out early... maybe ease your self into it because as you say you probably won't be able to sleep straight away, which leads to frustration, and then you will just be wide awake.
mehhhw/e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've had a similar problem

My advice is to rub your feet and wear socks before you go to bed. I was told that the warmth from doing this, will help you sleep. Also, when you're at home, before you go to bed, take a hot Radox Herbal Bath Sleep Easy for about 30 minutes.
amtvp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been there (insomnia). The only thing that has worked for me is getting up at a consistent time every day. Obviously some nights you'll be out until 5 etc. so this will feel harsh, but it's the only thing that works.

Kickstart the process by staying up for 2 days to guarantee an early bedtime on the second day.

NO caffeine for the 6 hours before bedtime.

Good luck...
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe you can retrace your steps and see why you can't go to sleep?

Are you watching tv, are you on the computer, do you drink/eat a lot before going to sleep? Do you have too much workload and end up cramming? What do you do from 8pm to 5am every day?

If there is a problem there maybe you can try to fix it :dontknow: Maybe you're too stressed, it seems like no sleep is stressing you, I've been there and usually I can sleep once I've finished my paper, had my exam or fixed the problem I had :dontknow:
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really? You can't sort out your sleeping pattern? All you have to do is an all nighter and you will be extremely tired, then just go to bed whenever you want your new bed time to be. If you're not tired enough then do two all nighters in a row (although this is miserable and if you fail and fall asleep halfway through the second you'll have to start over again). No matter how bad your sleeping pattern is you can always sort it out within a week. (Obviously I'm not taking into account any serious conditions like depression)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've tried doing the allnighter thing. But eventually I will fall asleep anyway but during the day. Sometimes in the day I just can't keep myself awake, hasn't been like this for a while now though it's mainly trying to get to sleep. Sometimes I lie in bed at about 11 and just shut my eyes, read a book, watch a film and even though my body's soo tired my mind won't let me sleep. The doctor told me if I can't sleep to do something, so I usually end up tidying my room or doing more work. He said it's better to be doing something useful than nothing. The worse bit is physically not being able to wake up in the morning! It just means I don't see much daylight and feel crappy all the time
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe it's something else than insomnia, maybe it's something psychological, go to the doctor again? or see a counsellor?
lesbionic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's called laziness... I've occasionally had this problem once or twice, and it makes me miserable, but it's down to not wanting to get up in the morning...

I love being at university, so I usually spring out of bed pretty early every day. It's when I go home to my nice comfy bed that I end up lying in really late until 9AM xD
FallenProject
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eating meals at the right time - that is the key to totally resetting your body clock. Trust me. Do the usual meal times that everyone else does, and don't eat after 9ishpm.
calumharris
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow. Great answers guys. I'm literally in exactly the same position as OP was. Considering either doing an all nighter (it's currently 07:28am) or have a 2 hour nap and having breakfast at 10am like most normal people... decisions... decisions...
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The all-nighter thing doesn't work. All it does is create a sleep debt which will push you even farther into the hole.

Pop into a shop and invest in some Melatonin. It works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads