Turn on thread page Beta

Unpaid/Expenses only intern for 3 months? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi,

I've been advised by a career advisor to get some unpaid exp. to better my chances of getting a graduate job. Something solid like in finance or accounting etc. I have been looking at the website he suggested: graduate talent pool, but most of the internships there are 2-3 months unpaid and some up to a ridiculous 6 months unpaid. They do pay expenses though but I sure as hell am not working 3 months without pay. I think this is abuse but I really need work experience. My question to you guys is, would you work for such a long period unpaid, and secondly, is it sensible to mention that you will accept the position for 2-3 weeks unpaid out of the 3 months they want? I don't like pulling people's legs so i've applied for a few positions saying i'm willing to work 2-3 weeks on expenses only - not the full 3 months. May be a silly question but should i lie and say i am available to work 3 months and just quit after a few weeks, or am I quite right to say i'll work only a few weeks and then quit, upfront - i have a feeling i am being turned down for more desperate people who will do what i'm proposing but are not being upfront like me about it.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    You do it because you have to. Without work experience you generally won't get the job. Companies know this so they do work experience unpaid, because people will do it anyway.

I imagine if you make them your offer they will tell you where to go & give it to someone else.

Can you claim JSA while doing one?

ReputationRep:
    i did a 3 moth unpaid internship last year and it was ok, but then my dad was giving me an allowance. so it depends on your financial situation. i wouldn't advise that you take 3 months and then quit after a few weeks because it won't reflect well on you and you're probably gonna need a reference or something from them, when you're trying to get a job.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Isn't your degree in geology or geophysics (or something geo-related)? I can't believe you haven't found work in the petroleum industry yet and have to resort to this.

Hell, move to Australia - there's a desperate shortage of geo-guys there. They're needed for minerals/materials mining but companies can't get them for love nor money, and as such geologists are being offered absolutely obscene salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Isn't your degree in geology or geophysics (or something geo-related)? I can't believe you haven't found work in the petroleum industry yet and have to resort to this.

Hell, move to Australia - there's a desperate shortage of geo-guys there. They're needed for minerals/materials mining but companies can't get them for love nor money, and as such geologists are being offered absolutely obscene salaries.
    well i was out there in Perth for this very reason in November, but all the geo jobs are for native australians. I had no shot at the jobs despite trying everyone was after a masters or experience. I'm also looking into getting work experience in that field in this country before going out there again and working in the mining sector. Grrrr....stupid bureaucracy!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.