Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i'm going to have to go through UCAS Extra as I've got no offers I have not done a foundation so I'm going to apply to as many foundations as possible but I may as well go through UCAS Extra too if theres a chance that I could skip foundation... Thing is that I don't know much about any of the unis that I didn't apply to originally so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few unis that are good for fine art?

I just don't want to go to some random university and find that its really bad!

ReputationRep:
    From what I know it's not a good idea to skip the foundation. The universities that aren't bothered by foundation probably aren't that good. But I may be wrong, this was simply what I was told in AS level.
    Try looking in the subject league tables? And then see whether it's available on Extra/ if they accept without foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I need to do a foundation. Even though I know i'm going to do painting, but I'm struggling to find a subject matter that I'm generally interested in to make my work more meaningful as I was told that having a skill alone with out a strong subject matter in art is not good enough to get into a decent art college. Do you know if they help you with this on the foundation?

ReputationRep:
    In the foundation year you'll experiment more and I don't see why the tutors wouldn't be able to help you. So this would probably help your problem.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks alot for your help !

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Edinburgh college of Art is any good? It includes a year at the beginning that seems pretty similar to foundation so it looks like a good option for me But I just don't know anything about the teaching, location etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocacola123)
    Anyone know if Edinburgh college of Art is any good? It includes a year at the beginning that seems pretty similar to foundation so it looks like a good option for me But I just don't know anything about the teaching, location etc....
    this is exactly what im thinking of doing. I basically know I want to paint so doing a foundation where I experiment with lots of media seems abit pointless, and it seems that painting is pretty big at ECA.
    I haven't visited the art college but I love love edinburgh. It's such a beautiful city with so much going on. In most rankings for a fine art and design undergraduate degree it seems to vary between 3rd/4th place...or like, 9th
    For me its between there and oxford brookes foundation.
    But I will be 19 so I would have to pay for foundation :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElsRigg)
    this is exactly what im thinking of doing. I basically know I want to paint so doing a foundation where I experiment with lots of media seems abit pointless, and it seems that painting is pretty big at ECA.
    I haven't visited the art college but I love love edinburgh. It's such a beautiful city with so much going on. In most rankings for a fine art and design undergraduate degree it seems to vary between 3rd/4th place...or like, 9th
    For me its between there and oxford brookes foundation.
    But I will be 19 so I would have to pay for foundation :/
    Oh really! That's pretty good then.. It must be a good college then! I've applied anyway but it's just whether they'll have any spaces left as it's gunna be ucas extra. Did you apply anywhere this year? Or are you having a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocacola123)
    Oh really! That's pretty good then.. It must be a good college then! I've applied anyway but it's just whether they'll have any spaces left as it's gunna be ucas extra. Did you apply anywhere this year? Or are you having a gap year?
    Im on a gap year at the moment, in australia. I wanted to do foundation but my family moved too...so I had nowhere to live!
    I can't decide what's better, foundation at brookes or ECA first year. humm.
    Did you apply to some foundations too? And where did you originally apply?
    Ive applied to ECA, edinburgh uni (for HOA), Ruskin, UCL (but they wouldnt consider me without interview, and I couldnt come home, so I transferred my application to HOA).

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.