Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Jogging: How am I supposed to breathe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a newbie jogger, decided I need to get some regular exercise - I'm average size but want to tone up a bit and increase my general fitness.

Basically once I start jogging, after about 20/30 meters my throat starts burning, then feels like it's closing up and I can't breathe. This usually comes with a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I want to keep on moving, but have to stop to try and get some air. After a couple of minutes the feeling goes away, but will come back every time I jog.

I thought maybe I'm not breathing in the right rhythm when I run (I've found that if I sing when I run I can get further before I start to not be able to breathe), or am I just incredibly unfit?

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you're just beginning I think the experts recommend you start off by alternating jogging and walking every minute or so, in order not to completely conk yourself out. Or maybe you have asthma or something? Might be worth going to the doctor to be on the safe side.

Try concentrating on breathing more deeply and evenly next time you run.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about everyone else but i time by breathing whilst running by paces...

Normally in for 2 and out for 2....

But it sounds like you're just not fit enough to run for a decent length of time atm...

I'd say look up the couch to 5k plan and run that for 9 weeks and then you'll be able to run 5k without stopping at the end of it...

ReputationRep:
    I'm reasonably fit and after about 10 minutes of jogging I get that horrible burning feeling in my chest and the only thing I can do is walk for a few minutes! Try to take slightly deeper breaths and avoid short, panting breaths as it just makes it worse! It will get better as your stamina improves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I dunno about everyone else but i time by breathing whilst running by paces...

Normally in for 2 and out for 2....

But it sounds like you're just not fit enough to run for a decent length of time atm...

I'd say look up the couch to 5k plan and run that for 9 weeks and then you'll be able to run 5k without stopping at the end of it...
    ^ I recommend breathing like this, especially when you start getting a bit of a faster pace!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26daystoworkwith)
    I'm a newbie jogger, decided I need to get some regular exercise - I'm average size but want to tone up a bit and increase my general fitness.

Basically once I start jogging, after about 20/30 meters my throat starts burning, then feels like it's closing up and I can't breathe. This usually comes with a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I want to keep on moving, but have to stop to try and get some air. After a couple of minutes the feeling goes away, but will come back every time I jog.

I thought maybe I'm not breathing in the right rhythm when I run (I've found that if I sing when I run I can get further before I start to not be able to breathe), or am I just incredibly unfit?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    asthma or very unfit, just jog slowly, it doesnt matter if you dont go far as long as your hearts beating at a decent rate for half an hour or so, also, dont be ashamed of stopping sometimes to walk

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sounds like you're probably just out of shape. Try alternating walking and jogging, like other people have said.

Don't worry, you'll get there eventually!

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find it's easier to breathe in through my nose & out through my mouth- that way your throat doesn't get dry and doesn't tend to hurt as much. That's what I find, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally get this while jogging, although I do have asthma. I find that I never get this feeling when jogging on a treadmill indoors. Strange.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely try the alternating running/walking at first. Most important thing is not to worry about passers by; whilst walking/running might look silly at first after a good few sessions you'll be able to build up stamina and run faster for longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    I occasionally get this while jogging, although I do have asthma. I find that I never get this feeling when jogging on a treadmill indoors. Strange.
    maybe you're allergic to something such as pollen or something else thats outdoors in the air but not indoors. Also remember that jogging/running outside on hard ground is harder than on a treadmill as you have to factor in things like wind resistance. Jogging outside means you have to propel yourself to make strides forward which uses more energy whereas on a treadmill its being pulled along beneath you so not as much force is needed. If you're trying to go the same pace then this could be the reason why you feel more exerted outdoors than on a treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    maybe you're allergic to something such as pollen or something else thats outdoors in the air but not indoors. Also remember that jogging/running outside on hard ground is harder than on a treadmill as you have to factor in things like wind resistance. Jogging outside means you have to propel yourself to make strides forward which uses more energy whereas on a treadmill its being pulled along beneath you so not as much force is needed. If you're trying to go the same pace then this could be the reason why you feel more exerted outdoors than on a treadmill.
    Yeah I think it's a combination of wind resistance, cold air and the fact that you have to put more effort into running when not on a treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    The last time I went for a run, I had the same breathing problem. The pain all down the back of my throat lasted for about an hour. I hadn't even been running very long! (About 5 minutes up a slight hill) A combination of my asthma, cold air, and my general level of fitness (very poor) are to blame :p:

ReputationRep:
    Being dehydrated can be the cause of chest burning and metallic or bloodish taste in your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses guys I'm gonna start on the Couch to 5K plan, something structured with a target at the end should help keep me motivated.

Cold air could be something to do with it though... I've been going out in the evenings and it's bloody freezing then! And dehydration - I know I don't drink anywhere near enough.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I've never experienced the feeling your describing. When running I concentrate a lot on my breathing, and try and get as much oxygen in as possible and lower my heart beat. This in turn allows me to run longer.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of getting into shape in a gym is a good one, whatever the cause of the breathing problems are.

Even better for breathing : swimming. This will get you going probably even better than a treadmill in the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Try warming up outside in the cold air for 5 minutes, let your lungs get used to the change in air temperature.

ReputationRep:
    I second a lot of what's been said here. When I first started running I had the same problem. Don't let it deter you! I used to "scout-pace": run for a minute, walk for 30 seconds, and build it up from there. Swimming really helps, and you should try to swim or cycle more than you run if you want to get fit, as it takes the stress off your knees. I now run 10k once a week and swim every other day, so it is possible, you WILL get there! Just take it slow. If you have a friend you can train with who is at a higher level than yourself, you'll find you'll improve faster.

ETA: Buy a hat when running in the winter if you have short hair. Cold ears are THE WORST!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.