Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying for my AS in french, and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for good french novels to read to try to improve my reading skills? Or Films for listening?

ReputationRep:
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

ReputationRep:
    'La Haine' is pretty good. It focuses on poor areas of France, racism, multiculturalism etc and is great if you need something to study for the french speaking for A2 (if you continue it to A2). Amelie is another good film and probably the most internationally well known french films.

ReputationRep:
    la haine, indigenes, LOL (if you want a chicflick BUT amazing movie) AMELIE.

ReputationRep:
    I've made loads of posts similar to this recently, but I'll post it all again anyway.

For novels, I haven't read many so I don't have many recommendations. I love L'étranger by Albert Camus. It wasn't too difficult to understand despite the fact I'm certainly not amazing at French. Bonjour Tristesse is around the same level of difficulty, but I didn't like the plot to bother finishing it yet. Les Mains Sales is more difficult, but quite readable since it's a play and there are no massive walls of text.

Look on the A2 French literature syllabuses to find other novels that are good and readable enough.

As for films, I have loads of recommendations. What kind of films d'you like? Anyway, here's a long list of French films I've watched and enjoyed. I also find dubbed Disney films are useful for listening cos they're not too complicated and you know the plot, but maybe you'd prefer something more challenging.

Bienvenue ches les ch'tis.
    Hors de prix
    Amelie
    Jeux d'enfants
    Les Choristes
    L'Auberge Espagnole
    Hors de prix
    Le Gloire de mon pere
    Mon Meilleur Ami
    A La Folie... Pas Du Tout
    L'arnacœur
    Le Gloire de mon pere
    Taxi 1, 2, 3
    Le Roi Lion
    Les Aristochats
    La belle et le clochard.
    La Vie en Rose
    Etre et Avoir
    La faute a Fidel
    LOL
    La Vie en Rose
    Paris
    Le Placard
    Diner des cons
    Les Visiteurs
    La Haine
    Paris, Je T'Aime
    Les Poupees Russes
    Les 400 Coups
    Le Dernier Métro
    Au Revoir Les enfants
    Un long dimanche de fiançailles

ReputationRep:
    kiffe Kiffe Demain (book) is very easy to read although t does have a lot of French slang but it's not hard to follow, and it is hilarious.

French films you will like:
    Hors De Prix
    Mon Meilleure Ami
    L'Heure D'Ete
    Amelie (everyone has seen it though :rolleyes:)
    La Haine
    Tout Ce Qui Brille (its such a good French chick flick )
    Bienvenue Chez Les Chtis (you do have to know the northern France culture slightly but enjoyable nevertheless)

You could try French music, I find it teahces you loads of vocab. Try Renan Luce, Zaho, Grand Corps Malade and Téléphone.

ReputationRep:
    Jean de Florette - had to read and watch it for school.
    L'Auberge Espagnole - easy to get because they speak quite a lot of English in it.

You could potentially also watch a more difficult movie and switch on the FRENCH (!) subtitles.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.