Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've been EXTREMELY lucky (you have no idea how grateful I am) and got all my offers back and am currently trying to choose between York and UEA as my firm to study Psychology and having real trouble choosing :confused: Can anyone help?

The offer for York is AAB and UEA is ABB. York is obviously (sorry to UEA students) better academically with the best teaching and research marks I can find but UEA seems to offer a lot more in the way of LIVING! I LOVE music and the music scene at UEA just blew my mind and the campus really feels like a family, which is then rivalled by York's collegeate system.

As you can tell my mind is to and fro about this and would REALLY appreciate any advice from people joining in 2011 or people already at either university.

THANKS!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If it's mostly the music side of things, Leeds (both unis) get loads of gigs and you can get trains back really late from there, so you wouldn't have to miss any of it I went to quite a few when I was at York

ReputationRep:
    You went to York? Can you give me any advice about the colleges or campus? Did you study Psychology? I didn't get much of a friendly feeling on the visit day :/

ReputationRep:
    go to york...

just get a train to nearby towns for gigs and stuff....

don't choose a uni based simply on music....

ReputationRep:
    That's not my only positive for UEA :P I really felt that the campus was so much more friendly, the accommodation was nicer and the lecturers were really approachable...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest most people (me included ) are going to vote "York!" but it's important you go where you'd be happiest and by the sounds of it you want to go to UEA. If reputation is the only thing swaying you forget it and choose where is right for you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dreamofaninsomniac)
    You went to York? Can you give me any advice about the colleges or campus? Did you study Psychology? I didn't get much of a friendly feeling on the visit day :/
    Yes I did go to York and do psychology, altho I graduated almost 3 years ago! There is plenty of new accommodation on the new campus, Vanbrugh and parts of Alcuin and I loved it there. I thought it was really friendly The colleges don't have too much effect on you after your first year, unless you want it to. You could be on the JCR (which organises sports, events, welfare etc) or play sports for your college, like I did Anyone is welcome to go to any campus event they choose, even if the college's JCR organises it

ReputationRep:
    Which college were you in? And what was the course/teachers/work load like? x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I was in Vanbrugh college. The workload wasn't too bad but the course structure has completely changed so I'm not sure what it's like now. The lectures were generally interesting (altho everyone has their favourite/least favourite areas)

ReputationRep:
    I was in a simlar situation to you in that i couldn't decide between two universites and UEA was one of them. And my reasons for UEA were pretty much the same as you have said. However, the more i thought about it...You just have to remember you're only going to be, realistically, on the campus for a year, in regard to living there etc, whereas you're going to be doing your course for three years. So you need to be happy with your course, more than the campus itself.

Hope that helps. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper Flowers)
    I was in a simlar situation to you in that i couldn't decide between two universites and UEA was one of them. And my reasons for UEA were pretty much the same as you have said. However, the more i thought about it...You just have to remember you're only going to be, realistically, on the campus for a year, in regard to living there etc, whereas you're going to be doing your course for three years. So you need to be happy with your course, more than the campus itself.

Hope that helps. (:
    Where'd you go in the end? Were you doing Psychology too? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamofaninsomniac)
    Where'd you go in the end? Were you doing Psychology too? x
    Oooh. I've not actually gone anywhere yet! I've just made my firm choice haha. And i've chosen Hertfordshire as my firm choice, and to do Psychology too, yes. (:
    I would have never of even got the grades to consider York!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.