Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    Well currently I am slightly annoyed as well as disappointed. I found out today that in my English language exam I ended up four marks off an A. Personally I feel that my standard of work exceeded this , however on to my next issue.

My school has turned around and said that they cannot improve my coursework as well as speaking and listening ( Low A's) to a high A as quote " ...the exam board may perceive this action fixing the results".

Honestly how should I resolve this? my English literature teacher has said that hopefully I could achieve an A or A* in Literature, why won't my school allow me to improve my coursework to an A* so that I can get the A I have been trying my very best for?

Extremely disgusted with this, as in Science everyone gets there coursework to an A* to come out with optimum grades, why not English?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-app)
    Hello guys,
    Well currently I am slightly annoyed as well as disappointed. I found out today that in my English language exam I ended up four marks off an A. Personally I feel that my standard of work exceeded this , however on to my next issue.

My school has turned around and said that they cannot improve my coursework as well as speaking and listening ( Low A's) to a high A as quote " ...the exam board may perceive this action fixing the results".

Honestly how should I resolve this? my English literature teacher has said that hopefully I could achieve an A or A* in Literature, why won't my school allow me to improve my coursework to an A* so that I can get the A I have been trying my very best for?

Extremely disgusted with this, as in Science everyone gets there coursework to an A* to come out with optimum grades, why not English?

There are JCQ regulations that govern what teachers can do with coursework for all the exam boards and it sounds like your English teachers are sticking to the rules, while your Science ones may not be. The point of the regs is that you're not supposed to be coached or guided, or given masses of written feedback on coursework drafts because then it's not your own work.

Here's what it says about redrafting and resubmission:

4.4 Having reviewed the candidate’s coursework it is not acceptable for teachers
    to give, either to individual candidates or to groups, detailed advice and
    suggestions as to how the work may be improved in order to meet the
    assessment criteria. Examples of unacceptable assistance include:
    • detailed indication of errors or omissions;
    • advice on specific improvements needed to meet the criteria;
    • the provision of outlines, paragraph or section headings, or writing
    frames specific to the coursework task(s);
    • personal intervention to improve the presentation or content of the
    coursework.
    4.5 As indicated above, a clear distinction must be drawn between any interim
    review of coursework and final assessment for the intended examination series.
    Once work is submitted for final assessment it may not be revised: in no
    circumstances are 'fair copies' of marked work allowed. Adding or removing any
    material to or from coursework after it has been presented by a candidate for
    final assessment would constitute malpractice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-app)
    Hello guys,

My teachers broke the rules and did the same - because of the lack of checks that were made by JCQ and the relevant awarding bodies, it was common a few years ago to give more than the permitted amount of corrections and advice on coursework. Whilst the regulations haven't tightened up, per say, it seems that teachers are treading more cautiiously now than they did previously.

Your school have to be fair - they can't let you improve yours, and give you an unfair advantage over any other candidate. The same with materials - if a writing frame is distributed to everybody, then it is my understanding that this is fine, but if one person is given one, it gives them an unfair understanding (correct me if I'm wrong, though).

If your coursework has already been collected in and the department has already begun standardisation (e.g marking each other's work and ensuring the marks are the same and a consensus is reached) then they can't change any work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

What if I were to improve the coursework to an A* of my own accord. Surely I cannot be punished for maximising marks by my self?

Praying I can achieve an A in english language.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.