The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by tooambitious
Hello again (probably sick of me now:tongue:) I was just wondering how much extra work outside of lessons you guys put in, my subjects are maths, fm, econ and French and quite a few of you will have done at least two probs three of those ad your grades are all stellar so I though you'd be the best people to ask :biggrin:

What I would say is work from the outset, though not at 'full pace'
I wish I had done, then maybe I wouldn't have been so stressed around study leave...I also would've been up to scratch with C1/C2 so would've been able to take those alongside S1 (my school gives you the choice as to when you take them - I now have a huge amount of exams next year, as I didn't take ECON2 either).

Make notes you can actually read! Even if you have to copy them out neatly after lessons, it saves frustration at exam time when you have no idea what you wrote!

Do lots of past papers - its surprisingly, particularly in Economic MC, how many questions are repeated (I'm sure there were exactly word-for-word questions in ECON1 this year).

Personally, I'd avoid extra reading, or leave it to holidays. There was a boy in my chemistry (and bfs physics) class who did LOADS of extra reading, constantly corrected the teacher with all his knowledge, yet virtually failed his exam cos he didn't know the basics.

Also, don't do everything with uni in mind...I started last year knowing I was 100% NOT going to uni :biggrin:
Reply 1981
Original post by CloClo7

This. It worked for me :smile: I never stop revising, but I also never did more than an hour a day (except the fortnight before the exams)
Reply 1982
Original post by Tateco
The college I'm applying to have already told me they don't show much of a preference for it (only 2 out of the 6 people they gave offers to this year had FM A2), but it's past the point of wanting it for application, I just wish I'd done it because it's a good subject and good preparation...

:rofl:

I can't remember if they said how many did AS Further Maths?
Clo just reminded me, around 4 of the multiple choice questions in econ 1 were exactly the same as in the paper I did the day before the exam :awesome:

Although they were pretty easy, I probably could have done them without having seen them before :tongue:
Reply 1984
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Clo just reminded me, around 4 of the multiple choice questions in econ 1 were exactly the same as in the paper I did the day before the exam :awesome:

Although they were pretty easy, I probably could have done them without having seen them before :tongue:

Your paper has multiple choice? No wonder they say AQA is easier. :ahee:
Reply 1985
Original post by Groat

The multiple choice are hard, there is no leeway with the right answer :wink: And the essay question is more marks than OCR :sexface:

Also, Emma didn't say how many did FM AS, probably all of them :tongue:
I'm annoyed now, multiple choice! WJEC is so hard! They mix up micro and macro into two papers that include 12 essay questions (8-15 Marks) and a load of short answer questions (3-6 Marks). No one in my school got higher than 88%. You lot are so lucky. :angry: I don't suppose anyone else does WJEC?

Finished my personal statement almost, it's awful though. I have nothing to put in. Half of it is about books and the whole thing is only 3000 characters. I don't know what else to say. :frown:

How's everyone else getting along?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DylanLJG
I'm annoyed now, multiple choice! WJEC is so hard! They mix up micro and macro into two papers that include 12 essay questions (8-15 Marks) and a load of short answer questions (3-6 Marks). No one in my school got higher than 88%. You lot are so lucky. :angry: I don't suppose anyone else does WJEC?

Finished my personal statement almost, it's awful though. I have nothing to put in. Half of it is about books and the whole thing is only 3000 words. I don't know what else to say. :frown:

I hope you mean 3000 characters? :tongue: I finally finished mine yesterday. I had to rewrite the beginning and end. I used all 47 lines and I think like 3960 characters. So I really am at the limit. I was over the limit and had to cut some parts out; that was so hard! I like my PS though and I also got some positive feedback. It was hard work, I think I started like 6 weeks ago and always worked on it on the weekends. I had never done this before so it was a big challenge.
Reply 1988
Original post by DylanLJG

Finished my personal statement almost, it's awful though. I have nothing to put in. Half of it is about books and the whole thing is only 3000 characters. I don't know what else to say. :frown:

Have you done any work experience, any extra-curricular activities that may be worth mentioning?

Original post by nightmare91
I hope you mean 3000 characters? :tongue: I finally finished mine yesterday. I had to rewrite the beginning and end. I used all 47 lines and I think like 3960 characters. So I really am at the limit. I was over the limit and had to cut some parts out; that was so hard! I like my PS though and I also got some positive feedback. It was hard work, I think I started like 6 weeks ago and always worked on it on the weekends. I had never done this before so it was a big challenge.

Have you put a line break between paragraphs? Shown the PS helpers on here yet? :u:

I'm used to lots of editing and drafting through doing English Literature. :ahee:
Original post by Groat

Multiple choice is like the TSA - you do well depending on how well you can think, which is why most of the people in my class find it the hardest bit -_-
Original post by Groat
Have you done any work experience, any extra-curricular activities that may be worth mentioning?

Unfortunately I have nothing relevant to economics. My college doesn't exactly do much in that respect. :frown: What kind of things do you have?
Original post by Groat

Have you put a line break between paragraphs? Shown the PS helpers on here yet? :u:

I'm used to lots of editing and drafting through doing English Literature. :ahee:

Yup, I have 4 paragraphs, otherwise it would just be a huge block of words, nobody would want to read that :biggrin:. I showed it to the Helpers 2 weeks ago and they told me to rework the beginning and end. I couldn't do much about the end because of the limit of 47 lines. But my introduction is way better than before. They were very helpful! Are you done with your PS? Have you showed it to the helpers? :u:
Reply 1992
Yup, I have 4 paragraphs, otherwise it would just be a huge block of words, nobody would want to read that :biggrin:. I showed it to the Helpers 2 weeks ago and they told me to rework the beginning and end. I couldn't do much about the end because of the limit of 47 lines. But my introduction is way better than before. They were very helpful! Are you done with your PS? Have you showed it to the helpers? :u:

You have four paragraphs, with line breaks and still managed to get in 3960 characters within the line limit? :lolwut:
EDIT: Try putting it into the actual UCAS box, mine came up as only 45 lines when I first tried it when in word it says it was 47... (I had it in the right font and size as well... weird)

I have four paragraphs, 47 lines and only 3600 characters :eek:

On the subject of personal statements I'm really happy with mine now so I think I'm done in that respect, thanks to Alex for helping me with it! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1993
I should finish my PS, I keep procrastinating >_<

I think I have 3/4's left and the most difficult part was the first line, had to find ways to engage the reader, but I think I've done the job. How are we all doing anyways?:biggrin:
Original post by CloClo7
I wish I had done, then maybe I wouldn't have been so stressed around study leave...I also would've been up to scratch with C1/C2 so would've been able to take those alongside S1 (my school gives you the choice as to when you take them - I now have a huge amount of exams next year, as I didn't take ECON2 either).

Make notes you can actually read! Even if you have to copy them out neatly after lessons, it saves frustration at exam time when you have no idea what you wrote!

Do lots of past papers - its surprisingly, particularly in Economic MC, how many questions are repeated (I'm sure there were exactly word-for-word questions in ECON1 this year).

Personally, I'd avoid extra reading, or leave it to holidays. There was a boy in my
chemistry (and bfs physics) class who did LOADS of extra reading, constantly corrected the teacher with all his knowledge, yet virtually failed his exam cos he didn't know the basics.

Also, don't do everything with uni in mind...I started last year knowing I was 100% NOT going to uni :biggrin:

Thanks very much both of you!

Original post by Tateco
This. It worked for me :smile: I never stop revising, but I also never did more than an hour a day (except the fortnight before the exams)
Original post by Tateco
You have four paragraphs, with line breaks and still managed to get in 3960 characters within the line limit? :lolwut:
EDIT: Try putting it into the actual UCAS box, mine came up as only 45 lines when I first tried it when in word it says it was 47... (I had it in the right font and size as well... weird)

I have four paragraphs, 47 lines and only 3600 characters :eek:

On the subject of personal statements I'm really happy with mine now so I think I'm done in that respect, thanks to Alex for helping me with it! :tongue:

Thanks for the tip! Word seems to count the characters differently... I don't know. Now I have used 46 lines and 3766 characters. :u:

Btw have you already started to "study" for the TSA? I know the Cambridge TSA and Oxford TSA differ, but have you already done some past papers? At least for Oxford the TSA is a big deciding factor...
Reply 1996
Thanks for the tip! Word seems to count the characters differently... I don't know. Now I have used 46 lines and 3766 characters. :u:

Btw have you already started to "study" for the TSA? I know the Cambridge TSA and Oxford TSA differ, but have you already done some past papers? At least for Oxford the TSA is a big deciding factor...

Just out of interest when you done the ps on ms word did you have the text size at point 12 and in font Time new roman, along with the left and right margins at 3.17cm.
Sorry if i sound like a muppet asking such a stupid thing.
Thanks
Reply 1997

Btw have you already started to &quot;study&quot; for the TSA? I know the Cambridge TSA and Oxford TSA differ, but have you already done some past papers? At least for Oxford the TSA is a big deciding factor...

One counting spaces, one not?

Nope, the college I'm applying to doesn't do the TSA, does it look difficult?
Reply 1998
Original post by Groat
!

"Groat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
Original post by Alpha5
Just out of interest when you done the ps on ms word did you have the text size at point 12 and in font Time new roman, along with the left and right margins at 3.17cm.
Sorry if i sound like a muppet asking such a stupid thing.
Thanks

Well I had the standard configuration which is font 12 and Times new roman. I didn't change the left and right margins. Still weird... I'd recommend copy your PS into the PS section on UCAS regularly if you're still working on it. Otherwise you'll be surprised in the end...

Original post by Tateco
One counting spaces, one not?

Nope, the college I'm applying to doesn't do the TSA, does it look difficult?

Oh you lucky guy! No TSA? I think it is partly difficult and partly alright. I am quite good at the reasoning part. But I am not so good at the problem solving part... Have to work on that somehow. I wish I didn't have to do it though. First of all it costs me 120€ to take it here in Germany and second it is another exam to put pressure on me next to my school work...

Latest

Trending

Trending