Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Cambridge (Emmanuel), LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bath.

How about yourself?
    not completely sure but, Warick, Bath, Nottingham, UCL, Oxbridge (haven't chosen which yet)
    when do you have submit your UMS to Cambridge, and does it have to be for all your as results or just the subject you continue for a2?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by expopyro)
    not completely sure but, Warick, Bath, Nottingham, UCL, Oxbridge (haven't chosen which yet)
    when do you have submit your UMS to Cambridge, and does it have to be for all your as results or just the subject you continue for a2?
    You submit your UCAS application, then they send you the SAQ. You have to complete it within a week.

Yes, you must include all the results of all the exams you have taken (including modules you have re-taken).

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge, since my averages for my subjects are only 85% 88% 91% and 97%, do you reckon this is at all good enough for at least an interview at cambridge. (i ask you this as you and tateco seem to be the most knowledgeable on this thread)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge, since my averages for my subjects are only 85% 88% 91% and 97%, do you reckon this is at all good enough for at least an interview at cambridge. (i ask you this as you and tateco seem to be the most knowledgeable on this thread)

Well your average in top 3 (92%) is good so you would most likely get an interview at Cambridge. Oxford don't look at UMS so they take a bit more consideration of GCSEs, if your GCSEs are good that might advantage you for Oxford. It's difficult to know which, and you shouldn't base it just on which one you are more likely to get an offer from. Have you visited them both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Well your average in top 3 (92%) is good so you would most likely get an interview at Cambridge. Oxford don't look at UMS so they take a bit more consideration of GCSEs, if your GCSEs are good that might advantage you for Oxford. It's difficult to know which, and you shouldn't base it just on which one you are more likely to get an offer from. Have you visited them both?
    yeah i visited both, and thought they were both great universities, i probably prefer the surrounding area of cambridge slightly more, but the oxford city is lovely too thats why I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two. I just wanted to know if there is one that i more likely to get an interview at because that would really be the deciding factor for me.... thanks for the information tho, what do you constitute as good gcses?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm, since I'm impartial over both oxford and cambridge as universities, and both the courses interest me, could you advise me as to whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge
    Depends what you're looking for. If all you want is the oxbridge tag, apply to oxford's E&M course because it's much easier to get into. Much like all the proper mathematicians opt for the cambridge course, all the proper economists do the same. But apart from just hearsay and reputation, having come across different undergrad content from different universities, I would say that graduates from the economics undergrad at cambridge leave as better all-round economists than at other universities. So probably a bit of a trade-off here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeah i visited both, and thought they were both great universities, i probably prefer the surrounding area of cambridge slightly more, but the oxford city is lovely too thats why I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two. I just wanted to know if there is one that i more likely to get an interview at because that would really be the deciding factor for me.... thanks for the information tho, what do you constitute as good gcses?
    Well if it's just on getting an interview then Cambridge would be the better option as I believe they interview many more applicants (90%) whereas I think Oxford interview less than half (don't quote me on exact figures, but I think generally Cambridge interview a higher proportion). But ease of getting an interview definitely doesn't relate to ease of gaining an offer.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    What subjects are the 88%, 91% and 97% in?

ReputationRep:
    What is this scheme you guys are talking about? Are they schemes for apprenticeships/work experience if you guys take a gap year?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by myyout)
    What is this scheme you guys are talking about? Are they schemes for apprenticeships/work experience if you guys take a gap year?
    Google companies such as Deloitte and KPMG. A lot of good companies are offering gap year placements nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    What subjects are the 88%, 91% and 97% in?
    biology, economics and maths respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Depends what you're looking for. If all you want is the oxbridge tag, apply to oxford's E&M course because it's much easier to get into. Much like all the proper mathematicians opt for the cambridge course, all the proper economists do the same. But apart from just hearsay and reputation, having come across different undergrad content from different universities, I would say that graduates from the economics undergrad at cambridge leave as better all-round economists than at other universities. So probably a bit of a trade-off here.
    why would you say oxford's E&M is much easier?
    I'm not really just after the oxbridge tag, but i would like to know some people's rationale as to why they chose one over the other.

ReputationRep:
    why would you say oxford's E&M is much easier?
    I'm not really just after the oxbridge tag, but i would like to know some people's rationale as to why they chose one over the other.
    I said it's much easier to get into. And I explained that in the post; because most of the high calibre applicants opt for the Cambridge course since it's a straight economics course and is more established/prestigious (has a longer history or whatever).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    biology, economics and maths respectively.
    97% in Maths is promising. I think either Oxford or Cambridge would be suitable.

ReputationRep:
    So most people who are applying to UCL, are you thinking of L100, or L101?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    So most people who are applying to UCL, are you thinking of L100, or L101?
    L100. At first I was very excited about the prospect of learning in America, but realistically I'd rather go to UCL than be rejected from that overly-competitive course. It wouldn't add too much to career prospects, either.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about international study, what do you guys think about it? Is it worth applying to a course that allows a chance for international study? Or would it be better just to get your degree out the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Google companies such as Deloitte and KPMG. A lot of good companies are offering gap year placements nowadays.
    Should I apply, just in case, even though I don't plan to take a gap year? This is just for back up if I do get no offers
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Should I apply, just in case, even though I don't plan to take a gap year? This is just for back up if I do get no offers
    No. Apply if you want to take a gap year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you end up getting an offer for one and then turn it down because you "don't want a gap year" they probably won't look on it too kindly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.