Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by expopyro)
    So most people who are applying to UCL, are you thinking of L100, or L101?
    L100 is competitive enough I think I would only go for L101 if I was really passionate about studying abroad (which I'm not)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    L100 is competitive enough I think I would only go for L101 if I was really passionate about studying abroad (which I'm not)
    Is the L100 much more competitive than the L101?
    Have you already come to a conclusion whether you still want to apply to LSE?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Is the L100 much more competitive than the L101?
    Have you already come to a conclusion whether you still want to apply to LSE?
    L101 is more competitive but it's pretty negligible considering that L100 is so competitive to start with...

I can't decide whether LSE is worth bothering with (because it's so unlikely to get an offer) and I might be much better off with Nottingham or Durham!

What is the course you are applying for at UCL about?

ReputationRep:
    L101 is more competitive but it's pretty negligible considering that L100 is so competitive to start with...

I can't decide whether LSE is worth bothering with (because it's so unlikely to get an offer) and I might be much better off with Nottingham or Durham!
    Oh I didn't know that! But I'm not applying to either of them so it doesn't matter to me

Yea it's such a dilemma... Actually I'm having doubts about LSE and the GLN0 course at UCL. LSE because it is just so damn competitive and it is unlikely to get an offer without Further Maths or equivilant. And UCL because my referee has mentioned in the reference that I want to study economics. But the GLN0 is a joint degree (Statistics, Economics and Finance). Therefore I am unsure whether I should apply for a course for which my reference is only partly suited... It's so difficult. Bath would be of course an option (thanks to your recommendation ) but maybe I'll need another choice. Or do you think having my referee not mentioning Statistics will not harm my application?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I didn't know that! But I'm not applying to either of them so it doesn't matter to me

Yea it's such a dilemma... Actually I'm having doubts about LSE and the GLN0 course at UCL. LSE because it is just so damn competitive and it is unlikely to get an offer without Further Maths or equivilant. And UCL because my referee has mentioned in the reference that I want to study economics. But the GLN0 is a joint degree (Statistics, Economics and Finance). Therefore I am unsure whether I should apply for a course for which my reference is only partly suited... It's so difficult. Bath would be of course an option (thanks to your recommendation ) but maybe I'll need another choice. Or do you think having my referee not mentioning Statistics will not harm my application?
    I will probably have the same problem with UCL as I may apply for Econ and Stats, but my reference is mainly about Econ so, with a tiny bit about maths, and nothing to do with stats as I didnt tell my teacher I was thinking about Econ and stats...
    My thinking is that quite a few people may well apply to these courses with an Economics directed PS and reference so they probably wont mind, hopefully anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I don't think it will matter at all. I'll be tempted to apply for that course in the UCAS 2013 cycle if I have a gap year and my deferred entry applications don't work out this time, it basically just seems like an economics degree with a different title?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    I will probably have the same problem with UCL as I may apply for Econ and Stats, but my reference is mainly about Econ so, with a tiny bit about maths, and nothing to do with stats as I didnt tell my teacher I was thinking about Econ and stats...
    My thinking is that quite a few people may well apply to these courses with an Economics directed PS and reference so they probably wont mind, hopefully anyway.
    Hopefully! But you have just given me a little hope! Feels good not to be the only one in this situation.
    I don't think it will matter at all. I'll be tempted to apply for that course in the UCAS 2013 cycle if I have a gap year and my deferred entry applications don't work out this time, it basically just seems like an economics degree with a different title?
    Actually it is an economics degree heavily based on statistics. I just fear that there are people that only apply to stats/econ joint degrees and therefore don't have this problem with the reference or PS. It sounds like a very interesting course and it is not as competitive as L100 for instance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Although I am a rap fan I have never really listened to his music. In fact I listen to more AZ (the unknown Nas) than Nas himself.

Yeah I like AZ too, he has some amazing lyrical ability! His verse on 'life's a *****' :coma:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hopefully! But you have just given me a little hope! Feels good not to be the only one in this situation.

Actually it is an economics degree heavily based on statistics. I just fear that there are people that only apply to stats/econ joint degrees and therefore don't have this problem with the reference or PS. It sounds like a very interesting course and it is not as competitive as L100 for instance...
    Hmm interesting, do you know how much less competitive it is? Do you have the applicant: offer ratio for each course, not sure whether or not I should consider it!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm interesting, do you know how much less competitive it is? Do you have the applicant: offer ratio for each course, not sure whether or not I should consider it!
    I don't know unfortunately! Last year it was included in the prospectus and on the website somewhere. This year it isn't somehow... I know someone who applied there 2 years ago. He just said that the ratio is pretty low compared to other courses because the ones who want to study Economics usually pick the L100/101 and the ones that want to study Statistics as well pick the Stats and Economics course and not the SEF course. Would be interesting to know though!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't know unfortunately! Last year it was included in the prospectus and on the website somewhere. This year it isn't somehow... I know someone who applied there 2 years ago. He just said that the ratio is pretty low compared to other courses because the ones who want to study Economics usually pick the L100/101 and the ones that want to study Statistics as well pick the Stats and Economics course and not the SEF course. Would be interesting to know though!
    Hmm could send them an email I suppose! I know L100 is around 14:1

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering, where should I get my reference from, the Headmaster or maths teacher? I am an EU student btw...oh, and my ex Economics teacher is a mess, so I can't count on her (in Romania we do only two semesters of economics and that is in the penultimate year of high-school, so she doesn't know me very well either) I've been studying maths with the same teacher for 8 years and I've been to a lot of competitions and olympiads, so she would be very nice to me in the reference and the Head loves me too, as I'm the president of the students committee...so?:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by freakonomist)
    Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering, where should I get my reference from, the Headmaster or maths teacher? I am an EU student btw...oh, and my ex Economics teacher is a mess, so I can't count on her (in Romania we do only two semesters of economics and that is in the penultimate year of high-school, so she doesn't know me very well either) I've been studying maths with the same teacher for 8 years and I've been to a lot of competitions and olympiads, so she would be very nice to me in the reference and the Head loves me too, as I'm the president of the students committee...so?:confused:
    Whoever you think would write the best reference It's impossible for us to help really so you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of each and decide!

ReputationRep:

I dont think your Headmaster would be entirely suitable to write your reference mainly because he/she wouldnt know of your academic capabilities (unless you're headmaster happens to also teach you). Go with your Maths tutor, it seems as if she'd write you a good reference!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone is doing international baccalaureate here?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your answers. Well, I think they would both give me a good one... my math teacher really knows me and she knows my potential and the head likes me because i go to competitions, am a straight 10 student (we get grades on a scale from 1 to 10, 1-low,10-high) and blah blah...he cares about the reputation of our school, he wants me to get into oxbridge haha...but you are right, my maths tutor is better. Where did you get your references from? (sorry if it is way too personal for TSR, I'm new)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you both for your answers. Well, I think they would both give me a good one... my math teacher really knows me and she knows my potential and the head likes me because i go to competitions, am a straight 10 student (we get grades on a scale from 1 to 10, 1-low,10-high) and blah blah...he cares about the reputation of our school, he wants me to get into oxbridge haha...but you are right, my maths tutor is better. Where did you get your references from? (sorry if it is way too personal for TSR, I'm new)

My reference hasn't been written yet but it will be my subject teacher (Economics)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm could send them an email I suppose! I know L100 is around 14:1
    14:1, damn that's high. But LSE is even worse In case you choose to send them an email, let me know if you get an answer

ReputationRep:
    My reference hasn't been written yet but it will be my subject teacher (Economics)
    I'm jealous of you...:mad:
    jk
    I hope this isn't going to be a drawback for me...it's not my fault my economics teacher is no good...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm jealous of you...:mad:
    jk
    I hope this isn't going to be a drawback for me...it's not my fault my economics teacher is no good...
    I don't think it will make much difference to be honest! Lots of people get their references written by their form tutor who doesn't know much about them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.