The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by expopyro
I heard that Bristol are GCSE nazis, anyone know if this is true?

Also i personally don't see the point in applying to top unis for 4 places and then a ABB or AAB university for an insurance, i'd rather get rejected and try again next year than go to university that wasn't really that good. (Thats why I'm really hoping the Nottingham offer stays at AAA)

Nottingham standard offer is increasing to A*AA

Called them a week or so ago and they confirmed it.
Reply 2141
Original post by Confused101

Ohh :frown: I was still holding out for them to be AAA.
Reply 2142

:eek: are you serious?!

edit - does anyone know whether BA is less competitive to BSc?
(edited 12 years ago)
Applying for Economics BSC at Bristol, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham(not trent), Birmingham(the good one). Got 4A*s 4As 2Bs at GCSE, and at A Level-
Math A (should be predicted A*)
Further Math A
Chemistry A
Economics B(close to A/should be predicted A)
Physics B(dropped)
Do i have a good chance to get into these unis?
Reply 2144
Original post by amar_duhra
Applying for Economics BSC at Bristol, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham(not trent), Birmingham(the good one). Got 4A*s 4As 2Bs at GCSE, and at A Level-
Math A (should be predicted A*)
Further Math A
Chemistry A
Economics B(close to A/should be predicted A)
Physics B(dropped)
Do i have a good chance to get into these unis?

Yes for Birmingham, maybe less so for the other 4 (particularly Warwick and UCL)
Original post by Tateco
Yes for Birmingham, maybe less so for the other 4 (particularly Warwick and UCL)

I expect an offer from Birmingham, but I thought surely Nottingham would give me an offer, it does depend on personal statement aswell, but are any of these universities afficiated on GCSE scores? I know UCL aren't too bothered as i spoke with them at the open day, but the people there are known to lie....
Original post by myyout
:eek: are you serious?!

Yup, ridiculous isn't it? Nottingham are getting a bit too snobby nowadays...I mean they're a great uni for Economics, but they're not THAT great (i.e. they can't compete with the top 5).

Really? :sly: I'll be going to the open day in a week or so, they'll probably confirm that in the economics talk- I'll update you guys if they do!
If AAA=AABB (if you have 4 A-levels)
what will A*AA translate to? AAAA?
Reply 2149
I expect an offer from Birmingham, but I thought surely Nottingham would give me an offer, it does depend on personal statement aswell, but are any of these universities afficiated on GCSE scores? I know UCL aren't too bothered as i spoke with them at the open day, but the people there are known to lie....

Well although your profile is good it's not outstanding. Only 4 A*s at GCSE and two Bs at AS. You still have a good chance but it definitely isn't guaranteed.
Reply 2150
Original post by -Illmatic-

Ask them at the open day :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Well although your profile is good it's not outstanding. Only 4 A*s at GCSE and two Bs at AS. You still have a good chance but it definitely isn't guaranteed.

Yeh, my bad i miss read the first post and thought you slated me haha, but no one has really got there place guaranteed, btw what are you applying for and which unis?
Reply 2152
on the nottingham website it says,
"News of changes to entry requirements, if any, will be posted on this website on Tuesday 6 September."
Reply 2153
Yeh, my bad i miss read the first post and thought you slated me haha, but no one has really got there place guaranteed, btw what are you applying for and which unis?

Economics and Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and one other (maybe LSE, Durham or Nottingham)
Original post by freakonomist
The best thing is that I don't have any connections, I actually 'won' it at an essay competition. However, I don't think the tutors will see it as a relevant work experience for econ

I would focus on other things in your PS. But if you have space left, you should mention it. They won't really care but it can't do you any harm either. :smile:
Reply 2155
Which uni's are asking for UMS scores?
Reply 2156
Original post by wachno
Which uni's are asking for UMS scores?

Cambridge and UCL. We're not sure about LSE.
Original post by Tateco
Cambridge and UCL. We're not sure about LSE.

Original post by nightmare91
I would focus on other things in your PS. But if you have space left, you should mention it. They won't really care but it can't do you any harm either. :smile:

Original post by -Illmatic-

Hey guys, just got a query concerning someone I know.

Basically he's got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, and got 4 A's at AS-Level, and he wants to apply for Economics.

The problem is that he only averaged 85% in Maths, and he probably won't be predicted an A* in it (he got 95% in Econ, 98% in Geog and 94% in Chemistry - he'll probs drop Chem).

So far he's looking at uni's such as Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Bath and Birmingham. But I really think he is top 5 uni material - the only problem is his Maths which he's not too good in (well I say not too good, but he did get an A in it). Out of Warwick, LSE and UCL (pretty sure he doesn't want to go to Oxbridge) which d'ya think he should go for? I was thinking maybe Warwick...

Hopefully you might have a better idea about this because you're the ones who will be applying to these uni's too.

Cheers in advance
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Hey guys, just got a query concerning someone I know.

Basically he's got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, and got 4 A's at AS-Level, and he wants to apply for Economics.

The problem is that he only averaged 85% in Maths, and he probably won't be predicted an A* in it (he got 95% in Econ, 98% in Geog and 94% in Chemistry - he'll probs drop Chem).

So far he's looking at uni's such as Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Bath and Birmingham. But I really think he is top 5 uni material - the only problem is his Maths which he's not too good in (well I say not too good, but he did get an A in it). Out of Warwick, LSE and UCL (pretty sure he doesn't want to go to Oxbridge) which d'ya think he should go for? I was thinking maybe Warwick...

Hopefully you might have a better idea about this because you're the ones who will be applying to these uni's too.

Cheers in advance

Well LSE prefers students that even have Further Maths so if he cannot get an A* prediction in normal Maths, he unfortunetely will not have much of a chance... And I think that applies to all unis that you mentioned. You need an A* prediction because Economics is very mathematical and hence admission tutors look for candidates that are able to cope with the maths involved. He should talk to his referee and beg for an A* prediction because then he will have high chances at all of these unis mentioned since his other grades are really good. Hope it'll work out!
Original post by nightmare91
Well LSE prefers students that even have Further Maths so if he cannot get an A* prediction in normal Maths, he unfortunetely will not have much of a chance... And I think that applies to all unis that you mentioned. You need an A* prediction because Economics is very mathematical and hence admission tutors look for candidates that are able to cope with the maths involved. He should talk to his referee and beg for an A* prediction because then he will have high chances at all of these unis mentioned since his other grades are really good. Hope it'll work out!

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll tell him to beg for that A* prediction, especially because I think he'll be able to get it if he steps up a gear in terms of effort put in.

I heard that Warwick's Economics course is quite flexible in that you don't have to take as many quantitative modulesif you don't want to? Is this correct?

Latest