Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Well I've been told as long as you get an average score you'll be fine. The rest of the application (especially the interviews) are way more important. It is mainly used to differentiate between candidates that are very similar in all other aspects, e.g. interview performace and grades.
    Maybe it depends on college, someone from Christ church told me that he had below average gcses but above average TSA and that's how he secured an interview, he stressed to ne to do well on it, also If you get below a certain score you are deselected from the process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Maybe it depends on college, someone from Christ church told me that he had below average gcses but above average TSA and that's how he secured an interview, he stressed to ne to do well on it, also If you get below a certain score you are deselected from the process
    That is of course possible. But surely the better the score, the better your chances for an interview or offer. I just think some people stress too much about the TSA. It is important but if the rest of your application is good the TSA score doesn't have to be amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wachno)
    How much weight does oxford place on the tsa?
    It is really important man I applied and did rubbish in it.. They use it as a cut off for interview so you need to do well in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therockandsock)
    It is really important man I applied and did rubbish in it.. They use it as a cut off for interview so you need to do well in it
    May I ask what score you got? Did you prepare for it?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things are people including in their personal statements?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by amar_duhra)
    Sounds really good! What did you get at AS and which subjects?
    As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Dropping Biology and taking FM AS this year.

You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    What sort of things are people including in their personal statements?

A bit of economics, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falcon pluse)
    IMO i'd say no , economics with the exception of Cambridge at most top unis will almost certanly have candidates will A* at gcse. Maths with eco will have some but not as many .

Just my opinion
    How can it be "almost certain" and "just an opinion"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    A bit of economics, maybe?
    Damn! I forgot to write about that!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know whether it matters doing 3 or 4 A-levels for econ at Cambridge? I did maths, physics, economics and further maths at AS and will drop further maths for this year. I heard that doing 4 is just for enjoyment but will it actually help?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Well it'd be nice to see how they rank candidates, how much weighting is placed on each component, and any other interesting bits of information you can offer!
    It's difficult to say as it depends on college. Saying that I know a lot of people at Emmanuel but for reasons, that I'm sure you'll understand, I can't give you any insider knowledge

I think the biggest discriminators may just be UMS and interview. Of course PS and GCSEs are also important and specific college requirements.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Of course, I understand. I was curious to see what information you could give, if any, anyway.

Let's hope I have what they're looking for!
    Much of what I know, you either know or I've already commented on. What I do intend to do is however, visit the admissions office at my college and perhaps get some insight from them once I'm up there

EDIT: why the neg :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Trizzle)
    Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know whether it matters doing 3 or 4 A-levels for econ at Cambridge? I did maths, physics, economics and further maths at AS and will drop further maths for this year. I heard that doing 4 is just for enjoyment but will it actually help?
    Dropping further maths won't look good...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by StarChamber)
    Much of what I know, you wither know or I've already commented on. What I do intend to do is however, visit the admissions office at my college and perhaps get some insight from them once I'm up there
    Thank you for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanLJG)
    Damn! I forgot to right about that!
    Lets hope you check your spelling as well before you send your application off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehonlyone)
    Lets hope you check your spelling as well before you send your application off!
    I meant to do that

ReputationRep:
    Is reading around the subject essential for economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    I heard it isn't essential, but it doesn't hurt to read books regarding economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Dropping further maths won't look good...
    Why not? I did get an A in it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    In general or in terms of application?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.