Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by StarChamber)
    I think last year an Oxbridge Economics preparation thread was started. I'm not sure, but maybe do something like that...?
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I know what you mean, we should probably try and keep this as a chat thread. I'll make a thread for economics discussions/debates in the Economics Academic help sub-forum? (It's the closest we've got at the moment...)
    Even so, that would mean we'd have to stick to one discussion all the time. I may try and set-up a free website where we can start a load of threads so you can reply to debates you're interested to and keep up with them, rather than being bogged down by too much going on.

What does everyone think?

Of course an Oxbridge preparation thread would still be suitable for questions and discussion, but for debating and sharing views, I honestly don't think it's effective enough.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Even so, that would mean we'd have to stick to one discussion all the time. I may try and set-up a free website where we can start a load of threads so you can reply to debates you're interested to and keep up with them, rather than being bogged down by too much going on.

Of course an Oxbridge preparation thread would still be suitable for questions and discussion, but for debating and sharing views, I honestly don't think it's effective enough.
    We could easily do it on here, just come up with one topic of debate for each week and then make a new thread each week? Either that or we can change the first post in the "debate thread" each time we want to move onto a new topic...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)

Oh I see. Good idea as long as you can pull it off. Let us know how it goes
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    We could easily do it on here, just come up with one topic of debate for each week and then make a new thread each week? Either that or we can change the first post in the "debate thread" each time we want to move onto a new topic...
    Yes, but it'll inevitably get full of posts from people who aren't even considering Oxbridge. I can only envisage the debates getting quite . . . out of hand with people being too strong with their views and trolling going on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yes, but it'll inevitably get full of posts from people who aren't even considering Oxbridge. I can only envisage the debates getting quite . . . out of hand with people being too strong with their views and trolling going on.
    Maybe, but a separate website would be no-where near active enough. There might only be 5 or so people that would actively post responses to the discussion...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Maybe, but a separate website would be no-where near active enough. There might only be 5 or so people that would actively post responses to the discussion...
    If they're not dedicated to sign up to benefit from the debates they mustn't be committed enough to the discussion and their views won't be missed. As long as we make sure those who want to take part know about the website, it'll be fine!

Try this out.

My friend recommended it to me. Do you think it could handle what we need? I think it'll be alright!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Try this out.

My friend recommended it to me. Do you think it could handle what we need? I think it'll be alright!
    Should do the job :yep: Maybe try it out for a day or so.....
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm having dinner. If you sign up and make a thread, I think we'll be rolling!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    If they're not dedicated to sign up to benefit from the debates they mustn't be committed enough to the discussion and their views won't be missed. As long as we make sure those who want to take part know about the website, it'll be fine!

Try this out.

Looks good Who made it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    I'm having dinner. If you sign up and make a thread, I think we'll be rolling!
    I don't have permission to post threads...

EDIT: Needed to confirm my e-mail

ReputationRep:
    I am currently working at my PS which will be for maths+economics and I was thinking about applying to Imperial for Mathematics with Statistics for Finance, but not sure if my PS would fit for this course...any opinions?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by freakonomist)
    I am currently working at my PS which will be for maths+economics and I was thinking about applying to Imperial for Mathematics with Statistics for Finance, but not sure if my PS would fit for this course...any opinions?
    That sounds like a good idea. Have you considered courses like Statistics and Finance at LSE and Economics, Statistics and Finance at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good idea. Have you considered courses like Statistics and Finance at LSE and Economics, Statistics and Finance at UCL?
    Yes.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I don't have permission to post threads...

EDIT: Needed to confirm my e-mail
    Should I allow people to post without confirming the email? I can't think of any debates to post.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Should I allow people to post without confirming the email? I can't think of any debates to post.
    Snap
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by freakonomist)
    Yes.
    Are these the kind you will be applying for? If so I think a PS to suit them would be possible

ReputationRep:
    Are these the kind you will be applying for? If so I think a PS to suit them would be possible
    Well, atm I have the following choices: Warwick MORSE, LSE Mathematics and Economics, Edinburgh Economics and Mathematics, UCL Economics and Statistics and Imperial Mathematics with Statistics for Finance (this is the one I am not sure about ??)

ReputationRep:
    So budding economist like me, who arent applying for Oxbridge, wont be allowed to contribute? :cry2:

• PS Helper

PS Helper
    Snap
    For now anyone can make a thread, but if it gets out of hand I'll start limiting it.

Personally, I want to have some debates which are beyond the standard eurozone debt crisis issues and austerity measures, but look at other current affairs which have economic consequences. As a result, I will try and post some different debates.

Feel free to join in our threads at our free forum.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    So budding economist like me, who arent applying for Oxbridge, wont be allowed to contribute? :cry2:

I should've rephrased my earlier post, but you will notice there's no reference to Oxbridge on the website. Sign up, contribute and enjoy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.